Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Own a 2022 ID4 Pro/s but interested in the model 3 performance. Have some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I have a question I just purchased a 2022 VW ID4 Pro -s but I was wondering what my options were if I wanted to let’s say trade it in for a model 3 performance? I mean is that even an option? I also thought off seeming my ID4 when I am done paying it off in 4 years and then get that check and put it down as a down payment for the Telsa. I have made like 3 payments on my ID4 which I financed. Me and my wife just wanted to know our options we love the Telsa Model 3 performance. Whether it’s now or after I am done paying off the ID4 we look forward to joining the Telsa family. We just thought once we finished paying the ID4 off in a few years even if they give us 28k for it that’s a really nice down payment for a telsa.

Thanks

Reactions: Abraham
In 4 years the EV market will be very different than today. Who knows what car you will want in 2027. EVs feel a bit like a smartphone.. there is always a better one next year. At what point do you upgrade? About every 3 years for my smartphone. When do I upgrade my Model 3? When it comes with ver 4 hardware? New battery? For me probably not for 2-3 years. Your car is new, take it has a learning experience in how to live with a EV and what matters and what doesn't. Then in 4 years you will be better informed of what your needs are and there will be a whole new market of EVs to choose from.

In 4 years the EV market will be very different than today. Who knows what car you will want in 2027. EVs feel a bit like a smartphone.. there is always a better one next year. At what point do you upgrade? About every 3 years for my smartphone. When do I upgrade my Model 3? When it comes with ver 4 hardware? New battery? For me probably not for 2-3 years. Your car is new, take it has a learning experience in how to live with a EV and what matters and what doesn't. Then in 4 years you will be better informed of what your needs are and there will be a whole new market of EVs to choose from.

We were thinking in 4 years when we are done completely paying off the ID4 let’s say they give us 28k for it well we could then use that money as a down payment towards the Telsa. Thanks for your reply by the way.

We were thinking in 4 years when we are done completely paying off the ID4 let’s say they give us 28k for it well we could then use that money as a down payment towards the Telsa. Thanks for your reply by the way.

Planning what you will do in 4 years for a vehicle is a losing proposition. You have no idea if you will even still have the vehicle then, you could have an accident in the vehicle, life could change otherwise etc.

Planning even a year out on a vehicle is rough, there is no reason at all to look 4 years out.

As for "can you trade it in now?" of course you can, just depends on what the offer is on it vs what you owe, and how much money you are willing to lose or bury in negative equity.

Planning what you will do in 4 years for a vehicle is a losing proposition. You have no idea if you will even still have the vehicle then, you could have an accident in the vehicle, life could change otherwise etc.

Planning even a year out on a vehicle is rough, there is no reason at all to look 4 years out.

As for "can you trade it in now?" of course you can, just depends on what the offer is on it vs what you owe, and how much money you are willing to lose or bury in negative equity.

Thanks makes sense I think we’ll wait until we completely pay off the ID4 then in 4 years take it from there. The ID4 has to have some value even in 4-5 years. Thx for the reply

Hi guys, I have a question I just purchased a 2022 VW ID4 Pro -s but I was wondering what my options were if I wanted to let’s say trade it in for a model 3 performance? I mean is that even an option? I also thought off seeming my ID4 when I am done paying it off in 4 years and then get that check and put it down as a down payment for the Telsa. I have made like 3 payments on my ID4 which I financed. Me and my wife just wanted to know our options we love the Telsa Model 3 performance. Whether it’s now or after I am done paying off the ID4 we look forward to joining the Telsa family. We just thought once we finished paying the ID4 off in a few years even if they give us 28k for it that’s a really nice down payment for a telsa.

Thanks
As we all know the future is unknown and EV battery technology will increase over time. What your current vehicle is worth in 4 years depends on way to many factors. If you like what you have, keep it. If you want a M3P - sell/trade in your ID4. The M3P is a very different exp than the ID4 and in a different category. ID4 is a closer match to a Model Y in storage and higher SUV seating. The M3P is a sedan rocket ship.

Thanks
Of course you could trade in the ID4 now but you will really take a serious hit. Totally different cars the ID4 and the Model 3 Performance. Did you test drive both before you got the ID4?

Reactions: tm1v2
I have both. We own a 2022 ID4 Pro and 2019 Model 3 Performance.
Ask away!
Nice! Well after owning my ID4 to be honest it’s been a big let down and this is coming from someone who has been buying and leasing VW cars for 20* yrs. I am just frustrated by the lack of communication with VW and there customers. It’s really crazy to see some people with 2021 ID4’s still waiting on an update. I could go on and on but me and the wife unfortunately just dont have it financially to buy another car right now so we just wanted to here our options about potentially selling this ID4 once we finish paying it off completely I have only made 4 payments on it. As I was saying get whatever I can sell it for and then put it down for a model 3 performance when the time comes. I get what others have said who knows what ev’s will be out in 3/4 years so I guess we’ll figure it out when the time comes. I have an emporia level 2 charger installed at home so I rarely use EA but the Charging infrastructure as I am sure you know is horrible and not very reliable at all. Really appreciate everyone’s responses! Those black 20 inch rims on the performance are just stunning.

Well after owning my ID4 to be honest it’s been a big let down and this is coming from someone who has been buying and leasing VW cars for 20* yrs. I am just frustrated by the lack of communication with VW and there customers.
Well, you will really hate Tesla, then!
Tesla has no PR or customer relations department. At all.
;)

It’s really crazy to see some people with 2021 ID4’s still waiting on an update.
I have both. We own a 2022 ID4 Pro and 2019 Model 3 Performance.
Ask away!

Update of what? Why do you want/need an update?
The reason I ask, is that we are looking at getting ID4 for our teenager as his first car, and would like to know more.

I could go on and on but me and the wife unfortunately just dont have it financially to buy another car right now so we just wanted to here our options about potentially selling this ID4 once we finish paying it off completely I have only made 4 payments on it.

Depending on your financing terms on ID4, you may, or may not be, financially better off selling it now, and collecting a Federal $7.5K subsidy on a Tesla (if you qualify).
Waiting 4 years to ditch a car that you don't like will be VERY frustrating.

I have an emporia level 2 charger installed at home so I rarely use EA but the Charging infrastructure as I am sure you know is horrible and not very reliable at all.

Through ~10 years of EV ownership (some Tesla, some not), I average ~12 trips to public chargers, per year. And about 2/3 of those instances are with non-Tesla chargers because of location convenience. They work just fine. You will still be using ChargePoint and other networks as a Tesla owner.
No need to over-dramatize things.

a

We utilize Chargepoint as our home charger, but the VW came with 3 years of unlimited charging using the EA network which sucks.

2 completely different vehicles but we love both

It does seem to me that the id4 would be more closely compared to the model Y, vs the Model 3. I have a model 3 and my wifes vehicle is a model Y. They are pretty different from a driving experience point of view. The id4's look nice to me but I never considered replacing my wifes X3 with one. She decided she wanted a model Y and I had no issues with that at all so thats what we did.

Well, you will really hate Tesla, then!
Tesla has no PR or customer relations department. At all.
;)

Update of what? Why do you want/need an update?
The reason I ask, is that we are looking at getting ID4 for our teenager as his first car, and would like to know more.

Depending on your financing terms on ID4, you may, or may not be, financially better off selling it now, and collecting a Federal $7.5K subsidy on a Tesla (if you qualify).
Waiting 4 years to ditch a car that you don't like will be VERY frustrating.

Through ~10 years of EV ownership (some Tesla, some not), I average ~12 trips to public chargers, per year. And about 2/3 of those instances are with non-Tesla chargers because of location convenience. They work just fine. You will still be using ChargePoint and other networks as a Tesla owner.
No need to over-dramatize things.

a
They need to fire whoever is in charge of VW's software. I mean telsa sends out updates what every 2-3 weeks everything is a mystery with VW. Its just ridiculous

Reactions: WyoDude
I've had my 'stealth' performance Model 3 since new in August 2018. It doesn't have some improvements like double pane glass but to my thinking has some better features (radar, parking sensors, a cover over the phone charging area, small things ..)

Elon has tried my patience and sensibilities over the ownership window and I went a full year w/o updating the software because of the V11 downgrade (search will help you here).

Currently you just can not beat the supercharger network if you ever drive your car outside your home / work charging circle. Maybe in 4 years it will not matter if Tesla follows through with access for all

Even with all the Elon/software frustrations, I hope to keep this car until the wheels fall off and the battery is worthless, etc..

Reactions: DocHolliday
I don't think you'll get anything near 28k in 4 years for the ID4. Not unless we get another COVID and the world shuts down, causing a massive shortage of chips/parts and the used car market shoots up again.

I’m curious what the ev market will be in 2027. When I got my model 3 in 2019 Tesla was the only game in town. Bolt was and is a compliance unpationate car at the time. Now compelling cars are coming down the pipe line with same performance and range as the Tesla cars. So it’s exciting what 2027 and beyond will bring. Solid state batteries, near instant recharge? I’m hoping on to my 2019 until at least 2030 and hope it a huge difference

Reactions: WyoDude
They are completely different cars. The P3D is a performance sedan that competes with a BMW M3, Audi RS3 etc... The ID.4 looks like a run of the mill crossover that is electric more in the RAV4, Tiguan, Escape, Outlander kind of arena. It is hard for me to imagine loving a P3D but driving an ID4. My wife has an outlander PHEV, and it is a fine car, but I can't stand driving it around town it is slow, unresponsive, sits to high, has lots of body roll, and does not look at all aggressive.

Trading it is is always an option, you just may take a big loss doing so. Used market is still pretty tight though so you might get a decent amount selling the ID4 private party. Tesla has its issues but the P3D is an unbelievable car for the price, especially with the tax credit available right now. If you really want a P3D and can make the numbers work I wouldn't wait... no point it sitting around for 4 years with a car you don't like unless you have to.