Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performance Model- Looking for Insights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traded a 2020 LR AWD Y for a 2022 MYP last Aug at 2500 miles and dumped the 21” OEM tires/wheels and replaced them with some 18s from TSportLine (squared) essentially creating my own STEALTH Model Y. I gained about 15 miles of range back, lowered my 0 to 60 and 1/4 times, rides better and I no longer fear potholes or curbs and I can rotate them and replacements tire are about $300 cheaper. It’s a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN situation.

received my 23 myp in march after doing days of research for both. personally, here were my points with going myp.

> budget isnt a concern
> easy access to charging
> want the stock performance look (personally like seeing performance ys on the road. LR ys are everywhere now.)
> speed is crazy fun. i sometimes turn it off for my wife who can be an aggressive driver
> may be easier to spot your car in parking lot

I took delivery of my MYP ~3 weeks ago, and it's been a fantastic driving experience. I've heard that the suspension was updated for 2023 on the P models, and I think it rides very well even on the Ubers. My wife commented the same, and so has everyone else that has been in my vehicle.

Granted, I'm not a fan of the stretched/rubber-band look of the tires on the wheels, but these tires are expensive. Wait and see for now.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'd argue that if you're not an enthusiast or care about the numbers, the LR is plenty fast as-is.

Reactions: yellowr6
If someone orders the YLR in Black ($1500) and then adds the 20" black Induction Wheels (+$2,000) this brings the LR vehicle price to $53,990. The Y Perf. has a vehicle price of $54,490...a modest difference of $500. Not huge savings but at that point, I have been stuck on simply spending the $500 and getting the look, ride, and performance of the Performance.

I can't imagine anyone of us who has played around on Tesla website not go through this mental exercise.

The next question is...... does this someone then elect to choose the BLACK color again? Or take the no additional cost midnight silver?

The next question is...... does this someone then elect to choose the BLACK color again? Or take the no additional cost midnight silver?
There are cars that look fabulous in black and then there are some that don't. IMHO, the MY is the latter. Even when I saw them sitting on the lot at the service center, they looked older & used, vs like brand new cars. Again, purely my opinion, which isn't worth a pile of beans.

Funny to me to read how people buy performance edition and replace wheels, tires, and anything else they can do to make car 'more comfortable and cheaper to operate'
It's very good that Tesla offers us two variants of Y and we can choose according to our preferences. I like acceleration and handling and I bought Y.
No regrets and to me it's a soft riding car comparing with my real sport cars.

I have been neck deep in research and consideration for a new Model Y Perf. Could use the insights from this group in helping make a decision. This would be our first EV and primarily driven by my wife. She'd be leaving behind her trusted Honda Pilot. Performances owners, how has your experience been? Would you do it over again? Pros? Cons? Things I should look for and understand before ordering and buying one? Thankful to learn from ya all.
Asked my wife who just changed from a 2010 Pilot to 23 MYP. MYP sits lower than Pilot and she's still not comfortable with that after 3 months. Otherwise she likes the responsiveness even in chill mode. Much easier to zip in and around town for errands.

I have been neck deep in research and consideration for a new Model Y Perf. Could use the insights from this group in helping make a decision. This would be our first EV and primarily driven by my wife. She'd be leaving behind her trusted Honda Pilot. Performances owners, how has your experience been? Would you do it over again? Pros? Cons? Things I should look for and understand before ordering and buying one? Thankful to learn from ya all.
Performances owners, how has your experience been? Perfect, amazing
Would you do it over again? No, I’d get MYLR
Pros? Rocket ship, top of the line look, Uber 21s
Cons? No rotation
Things I should look for and understand before ordering and buying one? Careful with white interior, research and add inside and outside protections
If you want to go LR lowest cost, go with standard wheels and get after market Uber plastic wheels caps, I have them on my M3 and look great

Get LR unless you NEED a rocket ship

Good luck

I thought LR too but the price increase was minimal to get the top of the line Y. As far as performance, I keep mine on Chill mode 95% of the time because honestly it feels fast even in that mode. I use my left button now for quick change to Acceleration mode if some wannabe in a Camaro gets ballsy and let me tell you it happens all the time because everyone wants to challenge a Tesla 👍🏻

Do I regret getting the MYP? Maybe only the fact that I’ve curb rashed that darn rear right wheel three times already.

Oh, forgot curb rash, ouch
Been there done that
Right side only, back right the worst
About to install AlloyGators
Long term might switch to Magbak Rimcases, waiting for them to fix the apparent fly off issue

Please explain rhe left button for temp dropping out of chill mode (I have the speed pin protected, wont bypass that correct?)

I went from a 2021 M3 with acceleration boost to a 2023 MYP and love the MYP. I like the looks of the MYP and I like the way it drives on mountain roads. My wife drives it the most and she doesn't know what it is, just that it's red. I recommend test driving each type you're interested in as that's the only way to really help you in your decision. With the Federal tax credit now I didn't see much of a difference in price between the two as I see a lot of Y's in southern california where the people upgrade the wheels to make it look more like a MYP.

Btw, fairly certain all demo vehicles are pin speed limited putting the vehicle into chill mode
therefore you wont experience the performance level rush until ownership
This wasn't true for me. Tesla loaned me a MYP for 3 days as a demo drive. It was speed limited to 85mph, but acceleration to that point was not limited. Chill mode was available to select. I liked that car and it was very fast from a dig, but the ride was not as good as the LR with 19's that I test drove and I didn't want the staggered 21s so I purchased the LR.

Tesla loaned me a MYP for 3 days as a demo drive.
…what…and our Tesla center — in the biggest city in the state — can’t even offer a Performance for a 15 minute test drive. Fortunately a neighbor bought one and I was able to drive his yesterday. I was fine with it, but ironically he regrets getting the Performance. Which he wasn’t able to try beforehand.

…what…and our Tesla center — in the biggest city in the state — can’t even offer a Performance for a 15 minute test drive. Fortunately a neighbor bought one and I was able to drive his yesterday. I was fine with it, but ironically he regrets getting the Performance. Which he wasn’t able to try beforehand.
Well if he wants a LR... I bet placing an ad to trade his Performance for a similar MYLR wouldn't take long to get a response to.

I never had a chance to test drive either model.

I had never touched sat in or driven any Tesla before my car arrived at the Service center. Made it less than a block after making sure it was not in chill mode before flooring it.

That's all it took to put a smile on my face and confirm to me that I had chosen the Right Y for me. Absolutely would be disappointed had I bought the LR and then test driven a P.
The difference in the unlocked higher power and on rails flat cornering were worth the price differential. Since there are so many white model Y's on then roads now I like having the Performance options -and that the Y IS a Performance in reality.

Maybe a bit of my Pontiac ownership rubbing off of owning real GTOs and Trans Am's versus rebadged Tempests and Firebirds with a hood shaker scoop and spoiler change.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpanda17
Demo or test vehicle shouldn’t lock u on chill mode! but limit 85 is reasonabl.

loved how u can set the left scroll wheel to toggle chill or sport Mode.

loved how tesla consistently improving their software. just found out today in map, they show u closing time and also reviews. 😁

So the way it went was I scheduled a test drive at lunch time and I got a LR. Test drives are only 30 minutes, so when they asked me how it liked it when i got back, I said that I liked it, but spent much of my time figuring out the controls and didn't get to drive it enough to decide. They offered a weekend loaner, which turned out to be P model. I drove the P for the weekend, couple hundred mile trip with supercharging, etc. Liked the car and the acceleration, but the ride was noticeably worse over broken pavement vs the LR and the pavement around Denver is terrible. I considered getting a P and installing smaller wheels, but that would still leave me with the lower ride height I didn't want and either selling or storing the 21s. The 21s around here languish on craigslist/fb marketplace. If i lived in florida or southern california or nevada (etc) where the roads are smoother and winter doesn't exist I would have gotten the P. Since I live in CO and awful paved roads, fireroads and deep snow are expected (albeit not regular) conditions I opted for LR+AB. I'm scheduled to take delivery of it today.

So maybe try the same tactic. Show up for the test drive and ask if you can take an extended test drive over the weekend.

The replies have been awesome. Thanks everyone. The YP is what we're going with as soon as my wife cuts the ambilocal cord to her Pilot. My kiddos are pumped and so am I. I had a Cayman S ('16) and lower profile tires and stiff suspension are things I am used to. I wouldn't think the YP's suspension is as stiff. Replacements tires were around $400 per tire for the Cayman and I got 20K miles from them before I needed new or they wouldn't pass inspection.

The acceleration of the LR was terrific when we test drove it, so I can only imagine what the YP feels like. I do like the white with the calipers, little carbon fiber fin, and the lower stance. Was thinking about adding black or carbon fiber side mirror covers. Saw a picture of that and thought it look sharp.

I was surprised how comfortable and roomy the Y actually is. Vision out the front window is exceptional I thought. Wondering if Tesla would move the location of the "speedometer" from the top left of screen to something more in line with a HUD display?