Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S vs New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to buy my first Tesla and have been struggling to wrap my head around the possible pros and cons between a used 2020 Long Range Model S and a new 2023 Long Range Model Y.

The used Model S is currently on sale for $49,999 but has 80,000 Miles put in already. Considering the mileage-to-price ratio, this is a little concerning, but I did test drive it, and the ride was smooth and fun. Granted, I come from a Nissan Altima, so it isn't hard to compare which was more fun to drive.

I have also test-drove a standard AWD Model Y, and while it was not as comfortable for my wife, I was more than fine and enjoyed it.

A little bit about my situation: we are expecting our first child, and I would like to have something that would be family-friendly as both our families live across the state, which is 2-3 hours away one way. What are the pros and cons between the two models, such as hardware differences, software support, etc?

Thanks so much for reading and for any input on helping me make this decision!

Speaking as a prior S owner, and as a current Y owner (who really prefers the S), this is about as straightforward of a decision as there is….get the new Model Y and never look back. #nobrainer
I am a former model 3 owner, currently have had an S for just under 3 years (one of the very last actual CPO ones) and looking at a Y. Outside of the ability for a hitch and the similar model 3 interior (more space, cup holders etc) what do you miss and what do you like more (S versus Y). TY

IMG_3471.jpeg

I am a former model 3 owner, currently have had an S for just under 3 years (one of the very last actual CPO ones) and looking at a Y. Outside of the ability for a hitch and the similar model 3 interior (more space, cup holders etc) what do you miss and what do you like more (S versus Y). TY
The Y is the best overall package IMO (size, utility, price, features) but sacrifices a few items that are important to me in an effort to save costs. The adaptive air suspension on the S/X is objectively better (I paid $3k to add a Mountain Pass Performance coil-over suspension to my Model 3 which resulted in noticeable composure improvements but still no where near as good as the OEM air on the S). The sound deadening was also better in the S (YMMV) and, to my eye, the S is the best looking of all the Tesla offerings, by a considerable margin. It simply has a presence that the 3, Y and X cannot match. I’m also a sucker for a black headliner, especially with the white interior, however this is clearly personal preference. Finally, the added range of the S is meaningful for our usage case. If there was an option to add a Luxury Package (adaptive air suspension, better sound deadening, black Alcantara headliner) and a Performance Package (increased battery size/range), the Y would be just about perfect (again, for my usage case, YMMV).

Went from a model S to a Y earlier this year. I LOVED my S, but the old battery tech, being out of warranty and piece of mind made it a no brainer to move on. I have to say my model S held it's value unbelievably well. Took me some time to get used to my Y but glad I moved on.

We have both an S and Y. I have free supercharging on the S but my family always wants to take the Y. I would say the Y is more of a family friendly car but the S is very close in utility. Totally subjective opinion--the S looks better than the Y. Financially, if you're eligible for the tax credit, the new Y is a no-brainer.

Reactions: Rockstop
We have both an S and Y. I have free supercharging on the S but my family always wants to take the Y. I would say the Y is more of a family friendly car but the S is very close in utility. Totally subjective opinion--the S looks better than the Y. Financially, if you're eligible for the tax credit, the new Y is a no-brainer.
I appreciate all the responses thus far. We do qualify for the tax credit, so I am leaning towards just getting a Model Y. I do agree, though; the S looks so much better than the Y, in my opinion.

Reactions: Rockstop
I went through this same exact debate after test driving both new SLR and MYLR. I ended up with the MYP because I figured it was a good compromise, and I could NOT ignore the Federal tax credit and warranty. It's possible 3-5 years from now, I may revisit purchasing a lightly used S LR. I really loved the way the S drove, not to mention that it is just as roomy as the Y from a cargo perspective. It's shockingly roomy inside, except that it sits really low to the ground.