Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S vs New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another vote for new MY LR over the used MS.

You noted that the ride in the AWD non-LR MY was less comfortable than the MS, and that'll be down to the MS having air suspension. Air suspension is costly to repair and something I'd be aware of given the mileage of the MS you're considering. You'll get the most comfortable ride in a MY if you go for the base 19" Gemini wheels. No difference in suspension between the MY AWD and MY LR. Do you remember if the MY AWD you test drove had the black 20" Induction wheels or the silver 19" Gemini wheels?

You also said you'd be doing a lot of road trips. I've driven a MY LR between Houston and Chicago many times and was never concerned about range. MY LR can also take advantage of the full 250 kW offered at v3 superchargers. The MS you're considering may have a peak supercharging limit below 250 kW (This will depend on the build date of that 2020 MS. Some earlier MS Ravens peaked at 225 kW; later Ravens got thicker cabling that allow for 250 kW peak charging.)

One more thing that may seem relatively insignificant today but will become more noticeable over time: the 2020 MS MCU (center screen) has the Intel Atom processor. The new MY is running with the AMD Ryzen processor. The AMD processor is much more powerful than the Intel one; there's a noticeable improvement in UI responsiveness. That's not to say that the experience today on an Intel MCU is bad--its just becoming clear that the software is approaching the limits of what the processor can do. I expect the difference to become more apparent both in terms of responsiveness (e.g., web browser) and new feature compatibility (e.g., Zoom video calls) as time goes on. Something to keep in mind if you're thinking about keeping your car for a few years.

Reactions: Rockstop
I am looking to buy my first Tesla and have been struggling to wrap my head around the possible pros and cons between a used 2020 Long Range Model S and a new 2023 Long Range Model Y.

The used Model S is currently on sale for $49,999 but has 80,000 Miles put in already. Considering the mileage-to-price ratio, this is a little concerning, but I did test drive it, and the ride was smooth and fun. Granted, I come from a Nissan Altima, so it isn't hard to compare which was more fun to drive.

I have also test-drove a standard AWD Model Y, and while it was not as comfortable for my wife, I was more than fine and enjoyed it.

A little bit about my situation: we are expecting our first child, and I would like to have something that would be family-friendly as both our families live across the state, which is 2-3 hours away one way. What are the pros and cons between the two models, such as hardware differences, software support, etc?

Thanks so much for reading and for any input on helping me make this decision!
Something to consider is the much longer range on the model S. The mYlr is around 330 epa. S is more like 400+. That long drive would mean charge stops that maybe avoided in the S. The S seems to have plenty of room for kid stuff while avoiding the mom wagon look. Imo

Reactions: XCare EV
I'll give my impressions since I sold my 15 Model S P85D and now own a 23 Model Y long range. Some things won't matter if you decide on a newer MS.

I absolutely loved my Model S but I decided to sell it earlier this year because the extended warranty was expired and the battery warranty was approaching. I didn't feel comfortable owning the car with the expired battery warranty.

The good about the Model Y.

Better software support
Good software apps
Faster computer
More range
Faster supercharging
Minimal design

The bad

Bad visibility out the rear window
Glare from dashboard on the driver and passenger windows making it hard to look at side view mirrors
No sunroof
Lighting in car lacking

Just my .02

Speaking as a prior S owner, and as a current Y owner (who really prefers the S), this is about as straightforward of a decision as there is….get the new Model Y and never look back. #nobrainer
Completely agree. Prior Raven S owner here too and love out Model Y even more than the S. The S is beautiful but the wife was afraid to drive it. When we got the Y she drove it more than I did. The Y is a more compelling all-around package, especially for families. Every seat in the Y is comfortable, can't say that about the S. The Y has more rear leg room too. The Y is just the right size and easy to drive/park, has a good balance of performance and cargo capacity, and can tow a decent amount. As much as I loved our S, the Y is easily the better car for our family.

Reactions: MJP.P3D-