Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More factory pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
p.php.jpeg

Can we assume that these are the final rear head restraints?

Not familiar with car industry but to me that reads something like this part is slightly out of spec but could be acceptable. Needs engineering review to determine if it can be used or tossed. That or it's a change to the final drawings.

Not familiar with car industry but to me that reads something like this part is slightly out of spec but could be acceptable. Needs engineering review to determine if it can be used or tossed. That or it's a change to the final drawings.

A part that is labeled with ECO would be a part that was built to a new spec where the modification to that spec is the "Engineering Change" from the "ordering" of such change after the ECO was approved.

So the process is:

1. Issue is noted
2. Issue is triaged
3. Solution is proposed
4. Solution is put forth in an ECO
5. Solution prototype is built, installed, verified to address the issue and not regress other issues
6. Solution is signed off for production.

Can you expound?

An ECO usually means a last minute design change. That's why I wondered about when the picture was taken, although that still doesn't tell you when the ECO was introduced.

As Discoducky explained, ECO completed means it is in the system and that becomes the new part for production.

There was only one part in the picture that was labeled ECO outstanding, and who knows what caused the change, it could be a dimension needed to be changed by a fraction of a millimeter.

From Wiki page on ECO's:

In product development the need for change is caused by:
1. Correction of a design error that doesn’t become evident until testing and modeling, or customer use reveals it.
2. A change in the customers’ requirements necessitating the redesign of part of the product
3. A change in material or manufacturing method. This can be caused by a lack of material availability, a change in vendor, or to compensate for a design error.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd disagree with is 'ECOs usually means a last minute design change'.

ECOs are a controlled process to allow design change with proper review. Parts, subassemblies, documentation, etc. are all released through ECOs, typically with the test data verifying the correctness of the change. An ECO is what changes something from a Rev B to a Rev C. It MIGHT be last minute, it might be initial release, it might be a planned cut-in for an updated part or a part from a new supplier or or or.

The only thing that would worry me is if there was a note that said 'make the change, we'll get the ECO processed later'. THAT would be a problem.

The only thing I'd disagree with is 'ECOs usually means a last minute design change'.

ECOs are a controlled process to allow design change with proper review.
+1. ECO's are not a bad sign either. Some may even be planned, but to avoid hold ups you go with the original design temporarily. Sometimes they're design improvements rather than fixing a bug. Sometimes you figure out a less expensive way to manufacture the same thing, so there's nothing wrong with the original other than it costs more. As bonnie mentioned, sometimes it's just a new rev of a part from a supplier that's changed.

Some ECOs address serious issues of course, but I'd be concerned if they didn't have a bunch of ECOs since that would mean the review process isn't catching anything and people aren't coming up with new and better ideas.

I don't think it's necessary, judging by how well that glass blocks out the sun. And if it comes with that big hunker of a crossbar, then I would definitely opt out.

Could be the angle I suppose, but it looks a bit different to me. The lucky ones will find out for sure next weekend (suspecting my number is too high to get an invite, but time will tell).

Skärmavbild 2012-06-16 kl. 08.17.31.png

Serious hail will damage either the pano or aluminum roof. The pano glass could crack, the aluminum dent. (A friend of mine parked his Jag under an oak tree and went on a trip, to find that the hood and roof were pockmarked (like a golf ball) from the bumper crop of acorns that fell on it. That was an expensive trip for him!)

I don't think it's necessary, judging by how well that glass blocks out the sun. And if it comes with that big hunker of a crossbar, then I would definitely opt out.

My guess is we are looking at the manual shade housing that wraps around the much smaller crossbar we have been accustomed to seeing on the betas and in photos. @engle posted this on another thread (Tesla Model S VIN 1, page 10):

One thing I learned from TSLA staff is that they were told the panoramic roof sunshade blocks-out all the sun's rays, but "Steve didn't want it on his car." This is a panoramic sunroof deal-breaker for me, because we just took delivery of a 24-month lease on a 2012 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec "clean" diesel with a panoramic sunroof (24 months to overlap our X P83 by a few months). It has an automatic sunshade made of a flimsy cheap nylon material that let's some of the sun through. A Mercedes design fail. My wife hates it, and won't even drive it until I get the darkest window film I can find applied to the front glass panel. -russ

If it is the manual shade housing, perhaps Steve J. declined for aesthetic reasons and maybe we will be able to as well. (bold print mine) A lot of hypothesizing I know.

My guess is we are looking at the manual shade housing that wraps around the much smaller crossbar we have been accustomed to seeing on the betas and in photos. @engle posted this on another thread (Tesla Model S VIN 1, page 10):

One thing I learned from TSLA staff is that they were told the panoramic roof sunshade blocks-out all the sun's rays, but "Steve didn't want it on his car." This is a panoramic sunroof deal-breaker for me, because we just took delivery of a 24-month lease on a 2012 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec "clean" diesel with a panoramic sunroof (24 months to overlap our X P83 by a few months). It has an automatic sunshade made of a flimsy cheap nylon material that let's some of the sun through. A Mercedes design fail. My wife hates it, and won't even drive it until I get the darkest window film I can find applied to the front glass panel. -russ

If it is the manual shade housing, perhaps Steve J. declined for aesthetic reasons and maybe we will be able to as well. (bold print mine) A lot of hypothesizing I know.

Precisely. Maybe an opt-out option will be available, otherwise maybe it's possible to take it off without causing damage, seeing as it is a bit of an afterthought to begin with...