Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And everyone knows that the 255 mile toycan range is greater than a 400 mile range....

Can the Model S with these type of track time hit 400 miles with 100 kwh battery though? Not sure it's fair to compare range if battery size is different. I was told that large wheels have a notable hit on range when I got my Model 3, so I got to think track tires plus dragging bodywork will have notable hit to the range.

Can the Model S with these type of track time hit 400 miles with 100 kwh battery though? Not sure it's fair to compare range if battery size is different. I was told that large wheels have a notable hit on range when I got my Model 3, so I got to think track tires plus dragging bodywork will have notable hit to the range.

It does look like Porsche made a bad choice on battery size. I guess they felt going over $240K might scare some of their customers away.

Surprised I'm the first one to post this: Tesla on Twitter

"Data from our track tests indicates that Model S Plaid can achieve 7:20 at the Nürburgring. With some improvements, 7:05 may be possible when Model S returns next month."

7:05 would be amazing for a 4 door sedan, and is challenging the Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS time (which did 7:05.41 according to Wiki.) Can't wait to see the Model S retuning to the Ring next month. Exciting!

7:05 would be amazing for a 4 door sedan, and is challenging the Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS time (which did 7:05.41 according to Wiki.) Can't wait to see the Model S retuning to the Ring next month. Exciting!

Yes, that would be super impressive if they can come close to 911 GT3 RS time.

BTW, Tesla's data is showing up to 1.6G deceleration. I didn't realize street tires can do that!

Yes, that would be super impressive if they can come close to 911 GT3 RS time.

BTW, Tesla's data is showing up to 1.6G deceleration. I didn't realize street tires can do that!

Would depend on downforce. They must have gotten that wicker bill sized just right. Probably a $1500 option on plaid.

The S already pulls 1.3 or 1.4 g's on launch.

Last edited:
Question from an ignorant: why not a very simple free-wheel (like in a pedal bicycle)? for reverse just use the front motor...

I don't know if they would hold up under the massive amounts of torque. The ones I've seen are roller bearings that gets wedged in the forward direction. I think the repeated hammering would wear it out quickly.

Plus, no regen from the rear motors. Not sure, but I think it might interfere with torque vectoring using the rear motors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f205v
Unbenannt.PNG

The other option is that Porsche sandbagged so as not to up end their ICE cars. It was just a coincidence that it was a second or two slower than the Panamera...
You've highlighted a very big problem for existing high-end ICE car makers. They are really stuck between making electric cars that aren't competitive and making electric cars that are competitive but will destroy their own legacy business. This has been obvious all along, but their problem positioning the Taycan really brings it home.

Actually, Porsche does this within the ICE lineup already. Just look at Cayman vs 911. Most out there believe that Cayman can surpass 911 in performance, but Porsche purposely tuned Cayman to be not as fast as its bigger brother. So I don't think it's necessary Taycan vs rest of Porsche lineup, but more of a typical Porsche product positioning it has done for all its cars.

You've highlighted a very big problem for existing high-end ICE car makers. They are really stuck between making electric cars that aren't competitive and making electric cars that are competitive but will destroy their own legacy business. This has been obvious all along, but their problem positioning the Taycan really brings it home.

Indeed and the necessity of destroying their own cash cows will leave some, such as VW, struggling with payroll of 350,000 in germany alone. This with stagnant or declining sales (down 11% or more for VW in August) a looming recession, and it is a bad time to be running a german car company but VW especially. Electric and then obviously self driving electric cars are going to force germany to reinvent itself to remain relevant.

Reactions: bhzmark
So for those who didn’t see it earlier, here’s an image showing the power of the Plaid S on the Nürburgring:
8E904A4E-2C62-420E-A290-63A21759FD23.jpeg

Notice the long straightaway on the bottom right. The car is clearly going clockwise. What’s interesting is halfway along the straightaway, the power goes from 450-500 kW, down to approx 250 kW around halfway, then back to 450ish.

Any theories on what would be causing that?

Power dialing back from overheating could explain it...it has a brief time to cool, then power goes back up.

I doubt it’s reaching top speed, since power goes down, then back up. If top speed was reached, it would be constant until the curve approaches.

Is there a crest of a hill or something there that would necessitate briefly slowing down?

Perhaps the car was encountering traffic?

Any thoughts?

And here is an image of slither.io. It is unrelated to racing or Tesla. I think.
24279212-B9BB-4311-AA82-DF06955C7B72.jpeg

So for those who didn’t see it earlier, here’s an image showing the power of the Plaid S on the Nürburgring:
View attachment 456805

Notice the long straightaway on the bottom right. The car is clearly going clockwise. What’s interesting is halfway along the straightaway, the power goes from 450-500 kW, down to approx 250 kW around halfway, then back to 450ish.

Any theories on what would be causing that?

Power dialing back from overheating could explain it...it has a brief time to cool, then power goes back up.

I doubt it’s reaching top speed, since power goes down, then back up. If top speed was reached, it would be constant until the curve approaches.

Is there a crest of a hill or something there that would necessitate briefly slowing down?

Perhaps the car was encountering traffic?

Any thoughts?

And here is an image of slither.io. It is unrelated to racing or Tesla. I think.
View attachment 456806
An elevation change would certainly explain that. We have to remember that this is not a production vehicle so there are bound to be bugs to fix and improvements to be made. I wouldn't spend too much time analyzing this graph for powertrain limitations at this point.

Reactions: StealthP3D