Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance vs BMW M5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with a VBOX or other GPS logger tested an MSP from 60-130mph (a speed/power test thought to normalize for driver skill-- plus easier on the car)? A new F10 M5 owner did some runs (unscientific, single data point) and did a 9.3 second best, which is very very respectable-- but not amazing. I assume that required one shift (3-->4, but might have been 2->3->4). I would be curious to see the results from the MSP, especially since no shifting is required.

I assume the MSP's 130MPH limit is a true (GPS) limit and not an "indicated" limit, otherwise the comparo would not be valid, obviously.

Has anyone with a VBOX or other GPS logger tested an MSP from 60-130mph (a speed/power test thought to normalize for driver skill-- plus easier on the car)? A new F10 M5 owner did some runs (unscientific, single data point) and did a 9.3 second best, which is very very respectable-- but not amazing. I assume that required one shift (3-->4, but might have been 2->3->4). I would be curious to see the results from the MSP, especially since no shifting is required.

I assume the MSP's 130MPH limit is a true (GPS) limit and not an "indicated" limit, otherwise the comparo would not be valid, obviously.

I doubt it. It would probably take most of a mile to get up to 130 and the only folks that we know of who had the equipment and inclination are Motor Trend and Edmunds, both of which tested at a drag strip where they wouldn't have the room. There are iPhone apps which can do a lot of what a full VBox can, so any owner with an iPhone (or presumably an Android if there are equivalent apps) could test that.

I doubt it. It would probably take most of a mile to get up to 130 and the only folks that we know of who had the equipment and inclination are Motor Trend and Edmunds, both of which tested at a drag strip where they wouldn't have the room. There are iPhone apps which can do a lot of what a full VBox can, so any owner with an iPhone (or presumably an Android if there are equivalent apps) could test that.

Given that the Model S Performance hit 110.9 mph in the quarter mile, do you really think it would take another 3/4 of a mile to go 29 mph faster? That would mean it would take another 20 or so seconds to hit 130!

Given that the Model S Performance hit 110.9 mph in the quarter mile, do you really think it would take another 3/4 of a mile to go 29 mph faster? That would mean it would take another 20 or so seconds to hit 130!

Well it is 60% of the amount of energy to go 110-139 as it is 0-110. V squared is a bitch. And the motor HP is dropping during that stretch so more than 10 seconds seems right. And don't forget you need some room to stop!

EDIT: And that would be running in a vacuum. With drag you are probably looking at more energy required to go 110-139 than 0-110.

Last edited:
See this video of M5 run: New Bmw M5 F10 2011 acceleration top speed 0 315 km/h 560 hp ( [url]www.vb2r.com-gopro ) - YouTube[/url]

Look at the ODO. Looks like it took about 0.5 or 0.6km, or about 1/3 of mile to hit 210 kph / 130 mph (and then kept pulling....).

That's reasonable.. M5 hits ~120 in a quarter mile which is consistent with those numbers. M5 has a more powerful engine and a transmission. Once you get over 100mph its like letting a Tiger loose in the African veldt.

As to how long it would take MSP to get from 110 to 130 I'd hesitate to guess. Awhile though. Your gear ratio's are working against you and its hard to get those extra RPM out of your motor. Pulling a guess from my nether regions, 10-12 seconds wouldn't surprise me. The typical shutdown area at a drag strip is ~1/2 mile long so 10 seconds @ ~120mph wont put you into the kitty litter but it's not a safe activity either.

It would make a ton more sense to find a desert road and test it there.

Manhood test: Watch the video I posted of the M5 high-speed run. As you watch the speedo smoothly sweep from normal to aggressive to felonious, if your pulse doesn't quicken, then you are not a man. ;-)

Two observations: First, the only time I would "experiment" ( I would never "race" on public roads) with another performance car driver, would be on straight and lonely stretches of pavement. If you stop pulling hard above 100mph, you are not going to convince the ICE driver looking at you in his rearview mirror to go BEV. Momentary sprints to the 120-140 range are not uncommon in such situations. Before chiding me, ask yourself why you are reading this thread at all. Advantage M5.

Second, and maybe this is just me, in a more everyday stoplight to stoplight driving, if I accelerate away aggressively in an M5 or 911 (with the associated exhaust/engine noise and drama), I get the sense that others are looking at me like I am a rude jerk trying to show off (maybe true). In contrast, in my Volt, I regularly floor it and dust everyone. Somehow, without the noise, it feels like I am being less obnoxious, but having as much (more?) fun. Advantage EV, with MSP being the pinnacle example of such vehicles-- although to qualify for "not a jerk" status, you'll need to be careful to not burn too much rubber off the line.

That's reasonable.. M5 hits ~120 in a quarter mile which is consistent with those numbers. M5 has a more powerful engine and a transmission. Once you get over 100mph its like letting a Tiger loose in the African veldt.

As to how long it would take MSP to get from 110 to 130 I'd hesitate to guess. Awhile though. Your gear ratio's are working against you and its hard to get those extra RPM out of your motor. Pulling a guess from my nether regions, 10-12 seconds wouldn't surprise me. The typical shutdown area at a drag strip is ~1/2 mile long so 10 seconds @ ~120mph wont put you into the kitty litter but it's not a safe activity either.

It would make a ton more sense to find a desert road and test it there.

I-24 in Tennessee is pretty flat and straight after the mountain west of Chattanooga. I may have hit the speed limiter in my car on the way to Nashville at 3am once for a couple of miles. :redface:

That same trip I did triple digits up (not down as braking distance is huge going down) as you can stop much quicker. And averaged about 5mph up the ~2 miles according to my reset (at the bottom) computer. Too bad I couldn't make up the energy on the way down.

Last edited:
My "men measuring" metaphor here would not be appropriate for a family site.
Nah, that's not what I meant. Perhaps I misread your post.

My point was that "going fast" isn't pointless -- it's fun. And fun has value.

Measurements about going fast, well, there I probably agree with you on diminishing returns as you get away from "normal driving conditions".

0-60, 1/4 mile runs and top speed runs are all silly at some level. The real-world objective data and subjective review that I would like to know about is "passing power." When you are cruising behind someone going 50 in a 55mph divided road and you come to the passing zone, but there is a car in the distance coming the other way. You may need to go from 50 to 80 or 90 in a hurry to make the pass in a safe and enjoyable manner.

Since EVs tend to run out of steam at the high end, I would like to know when this becomes apparent. I personally enjoy the "holy crap, this freight train just keeps on pulling" feeling of unlimited speed/power. I am sure the MSP provides this up to a point, but I am not sure if that point is 60MPH? 80MPH? 100MPH?

My Volt is possibly the most fun cars in the world from 0-35MPH, but then starts to feel sluggish. Passing power is lame once you're going >60 MPH. I know the MSP is in a different league, but must similarly hit the wall at some point. Where?

0-60, 1/4 mile runs and top speed runs are all silly at some level. The real-world objective data and subjective review that I would like to know about is "passing power." When you are cruising behind someone going 50 in a 55mph divided road and you come to the passing zone, but there is a car in the distance coming the other way. You may need to go from 50 to 80 or 90 in a hurry to make the pass in a safe and enjoyable manner.

Since EVs tend to run out of steam at the high end, I would like to know when this becomes apparent. I personally enjoy the "holy crap, this freight train just keeps on pulling" feeling of unlimited speed/power. I am sure the MSP provides this up to a point, but I am not sure if that point is 60MPH? 80MPH? 100MPH?

My Volt is possibly the most fun cars in the world from 0-35MPH, but then starts to feel sluggish. Passing power is lame once you're going >60 MPH. I know the MSP is in a different league, but must similarly hit the wall at some point. Where?

You must remember that M5 cruises in highest gear. So even if it has more pulling power than MSP, it needs time to get there. By that time MSP will pick the spot in traffic and get to cruising before M5 does.

No offence to the volt, but what is it burning with 0-60 in 8.5 seconds? Maybe a Fiat?

I said 0-35. And I have never NOT been first/fastest off the line. I floor it at every intersection. No one else is trying.

- - - Updated - - -

You must remember that M5 cruises in highest gear. So even if it has more pulling power than MSP, it needs time to get there. By that time MSP will pick the spot in traffic and get to cruising before M5 does.

Drive a dual clutch car much? Look at the video I posted. Stare at the speedo. Tell me when the power is interrupted.

Of course you're right, to a point. It also takes a bit for the turbos to spool. My question is how all these factors shake out in the real world. Plus, I generally know at least a second or two beire I am going to mash the throttle and can blip down to the optimal gear in a couple of clicks...