Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do it either way, as mentioned in my post on normal nights I drop 90% to 80% at start of Off Peak, and then change Limit back up to 90% an hour before departure (and resume charging).

For 100% charge I want to charge "just before departure" so do the same "last 10% an hour before departure" for that reason, but my guess (but it is only that) is that will heat the battery somewhat, and reduce the time I spend on "low regen" - which might be a combination of 100% charge and cold battery. Regen seems to take "ages" to become available on a 100% charge in Winter, compared to Summer, so (subjectively) I reckon cold battery comes into play too.

Also possible that quite a lot of variability has crept in between an old 2016 MS like I had, and a new, improved-design, Model-3

All may become moot with the new "Precondition for departure" dashboard option ..

I'll assume 50% recovered on sale and owning the car for 4 years. 4 years * 5 hours p.a. = 20 hours saved.

£4,500 / 20 = £225 per hour. Looks better for people that would save more hours, of course.

Might be worse than 5 hours p.a. if you start finding all stalls occupied, or having to pair more often. I've upgraded to Raven (old car had got to high mileage) and the extra range fixes a couple of journeys which I used to take the ICE for. That extra range will change my Supercharging from 2 days a month, to 2 days a year, and I do wonder if will turn out to be a benefit if rollout of Model-3 numbers greater exceeds Supercharger capacity rollout
I mean range isn't the only reason to get an LR there is also the extra motor of course. which gives you

AWD for Bad Weather
AWD for less chance of breaking down ( i.e. a backup motor)
The extra performance.

I do a lot of driving in rural hilly areas with very limited access to rapid chargers and lots of bad weather so for me it was worth stumping up the extra. I can't quantify any of them in hours per year though.

So maybe if I browse forums while spending time at the supercharger it wouldn't really be a waste?

10/10 for creative accounting :)

Wife went for a run, with her Coach, in Croatia (this all takes place on a Machine you understand ...) and said "It's beautiful we should go there" so "Alexa : How long to drive to Zagreb" to which the answer was "To fly from Stanstead to ..."

Couldn't get any sensible driving time out of Alexa, let alone "Alexa How long is the Supercharging time to Zagreb" ... useless thing, shouldn't have bought it (Car/Alexa delete as appropriate ...)

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000
ange isn't the only reason to get an LR there is also

Indeed, Tesla has traditionally disguised the extra battery price by including more trim options too. That's the case for SR+ / LR ... and faster charging (well ... that was the case, I think the charge rate for SR+ has been increased in OTA update recently? Never a dull moment)

But I was surprised when looking at MS LR that the P option, which is £15K more, offers nothing extra (bar a carbon fibre dash trim) than the performance enhancement itself. So I failed to justify it ...

A friend of mine, who I showed the car to, wrote it off in a simple demo to me. He put a pin in the middle of Ukraine and the car could not get there on the supercharger network, so he said "See - that's no use to me!". He does that trip maybe twice a year.

Well yeah if you do long trips, you can say "this is useless to me because - real life". Or you could spend a bit more time planning.

Here you go... needed a couple of non super chargers though

... and probably want to wait for it to warm up ;)

LR
LR SharedScreenshot.jpg

SR
erm, still working on it an hour later. Maybe he needs a LR for this trip!

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000 and Roy W.
Here's my TeslaFi drive report for last Thursday vs today - only significant difference is the use of the fan during the drive in. In both instances the charge to 90% finished a few minutes before I started the drive, and the car had a 20 minute cabin preheat.

Personally I don't care about keeping the fan on for a few % points - but it was an interesting experiment on range - 5% of battery saved over the 45.5 miles in, 15% more efficient. For the eagle eyed data folks, there was a wind difference, but this morning at least that was working against me.

Regardless of the 'altitude' profile below it was the same route - just polled differently.....

Thursday 7th November Drive.PNG
Tuesday 12th Drive.PNG

Here's my TeslaFi drive report for last Thursday vs today - only significant difference is the use of the fan during the drive in. In both instances the charge to 90% finished a few minutes before I started the drive, and the car had a 20 minute cabin preheat.

Personally I don't care about keeping the fan on for a few % points - but it was an interesting experiment on range - 5% of battery saved over the 45.5 miles in, 15% more efficient. For the eagle eyed data folks, there was a wind difference, but this morning at least that was working against me.

Regardless of the 'altitude' profile below it was the same route - just polled differently.....

View attachment 476026 View attachment 476027
I'm not sure that the only significant difference was the fan (and the wind). There was a 5% difference in the duration of your journeys, a 2.1 degree difference in ambient temperature and an 8.6% difference in the average speed. Given that the relationship between velocity, drag and energy consumption is non linear that makes a big difference ( it requires 17.8% more energy to reach 38mph than to get to 35mph)
On that basis there just is not enough data here to say anything conclusive . Given that you will never be able to control all of these variables unless you do this on a track you really need a much larger sample size of journeys to come up with actual numbers.

I'm not sure that the only significant difference was the fan (and the wind). There was a 5% difference in the duration of your journeys, a 2.1 degree difference in ambient temperature and an 8.6% difference in the average speed. Given that the relationship between velocity, drag and energy consumption is non linear that makes a big difference ( it requires 17.8% more energy to reach 38mph than to get to 35mph)
On that basis there just is not enough data here to say anything conclusive . Given that you will never be able to control all of these variables unless you do this on a track you really need a much larger sample size of journeys to come up with actual numbers.

All fair comments - best I can do without a Delorean and a flux capacitor :) Roughly the same traffic on the same route etc. I'm still going to call the biggest difference that fan though - I keep thinking of watching our electricity meter at home and what happens when we turn on a fan heater........

I think the biggest actual difference was 4 minute stop on the M40 - which accounts for the extra minutes and the bulk of the avg speed, and actually the temperature was colder on the more efficient run.

erm, still working on it an hour later. Maybe he needs a LR for this trip!

I recon with the miles he does (something like 5k a month apparently) he could save somewhere around £1000 a month vs his hybrid-self-charging-30mpg-on-average Lexus he just bought. In his defence that was a back in april and he is probably claiming all that on expenses.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he buys one next year and forgets all about his misgivings.

View attachment 476026 View attachment 476027

Comparing internal and external temperatures for both runs, it appears that your car was doing more than just fan on the less efficient run. The only ways to get up to 22C inside with a low exterior temp are full sun load or cabin heat. I suspect some of the latter contributed to your increased energy consumption.