Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power setting in P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current pack heating on models not including the P90D uses shore power when plugged in, but only works with range mode off, or when the pack has to be heated to charge it. So, for example, what many of us in cold climates do is we try to time overnight charges to end close to the time of our morning departures, so that the pack is still warm from having been charged. If we remember to turn range mode off, we can also heat the pack by pre-heating the car. In both of the above scenarios, though, I believe when it is cold the pack will not heat beyond the point where it will be regen limited to 30kW.

Having the Ludicrous Mode may not help you much with respect to actually driving ludicrously from the gun club to home. But if it works to heat the pack, you may be able to use it to heat the pack such that you leave home with almost no or even no regen limit when it is very cold. Assuming there is any pack degradation taking place when the pack is fully heated to the point where Ludicrous Mode is fully available, you would want to consider shutting off the heating before it reached that point if your only goal was to have no regen limit. I could be wrong, but I would have to think that if you only heated the pack to the point of no regen limit, you couldn't be causing any pack degradation due to the heat, since the pack would still be quite cold.

I guess what I'm saying is that you could use the ability to heat the pack as a separate feature not available on the older cars. It's a feature we've been asking for, but don't have yet.

Yes, I do recall the few threads last winter when you and others were asking for some pre-heating function that does not fiddle with range mode while on shore power. Well, I will lurk around here sponging up all I can.

For the life of me, you would think that some prose oriented Tesla engineer would craft a "White Paper" on MAX BATTERY POWER. I used to do that all the time at DEC, COMPAQ, HP, and EMC for all the new features engineering would "invent" and figure out how to use the feature and craft an informal Best Practices guide. It would get reviewed by engineering and legal and then would be published for customer use. I think Tesla could use something like that. One paragraph in the UI just does not cut it IMHO.

Andy that is a very cunning plan!

Like you I try and "guess the start time" to try and get some heat into the pack. I have to say a "target end time", not "start time" would be far better from a usability POV. Even if it was out by a 10 minutes it would be better than my current guessing. (Bear in mind I'm really plugging the car in for the sake of battery health with my tiny mileage, it's the odd days when I've forgot to change the schedule having done a "big" day it's annoying.)

Saying that chopping in my 60 for a 90L probably isn't enough of a win to justify the cost :D

Like you I try and "guess the start time" to try and get some heat into the pack. I have to say a "target end time", not "start time" would be far better from a usability POV. Even if it was out by a 10 minutes it would be better than my current guessing. (Bear in mind I'm really plugging the car in for the sake of battery health with my tiny mileage, it's the odd days when I've forgot to change the schedule having done a "big" day it's annoying.)

I was thinking about why they might do that, and it could be that they figure you're going to estimate on the long side so that you get all the charge you need. That will give the car some time at the 0-1 amp mode at the end of the charge.