Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 S P90DL Wh/mi - What to Expect ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VxA=W

Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2024
NH
I've had my 2016 S P90DL for a few weeks now, have 84,000 miles on it. I'm thinking the battery has a fair amount of degradation on it, not the end of the world to me but I'm trying to learn about range, understand what I can do to extend it when needed. I have 19" wheels, Eagle Touring 245/45-19 that are maybe 1/2 tread, running 42-44 psi.

I seem to generally be seeing over 300 wh/mi. I do a fair amount of highway driving, and drive 68-75 mph most of the time, will see 320 wh/mi on those trips. The only time I can get below 300 is more local type roads at 45-55 mph. For range it seems to be a max of 200 miles in "real world" driving, seems like 10% of battery is 19-ish miles, maybe slightly more with a lighter foot.

In this model car should I expect to be able to keep it below 300 wh/mi on longer trips? Am I just driving too fast to get more range? Thanks for any help/comments on this!

Seems like your energy consumption is higher than my S85 RWD, but I have to deal with Orange County/Los Angeles freeway traffic quite often so that tends to lower the consumption. Some other things to consider is how much energy you use for HVAC, pre-conditioning, and if you take a number of short-distance trips (less than 5 miles). You'll notice your average consumption runs quite high when the car is cold during the first few miles of driving; I suspect a number of coolant heaters and pumps are running to get up to ideal operating temperature.

Another thing to consider is if your tires have any sign of uneven wear; perhaps you have a dragging brake pad or alignment issue that's causing unwanted friction/resistance.

Thanks for the reply. Not many short trips, and I only look at consumption when I'm on something longer, set the trip meter to track it or track from last charge. Not much HVAC, hasn't been hot here yet so I tend to just use vent and maybe a little heat in the evening. Pre-conditioning - since my nav is non-functional, I don't navigate to chargers which I think is what triggers pre-conditioning? Is there another way it happens? If so, I'm clueless about it, and I'd say 90% of my charging is at home at night with a Tesla wall charger. Rather than fix my MCU-1 I'm going to upgrade to MCU-2 at which point I'll have nav back, and pre-conditioning I assume only when navigating to a charger.

Thanks for the reply. Not many short trips, and I only look at consumption when I'm on something longer, set the trip meter to track it or track from last charge. Not much HVAC, hasn't been hot here yet so I tend to just use vent and maybe a little heat in the evening. Pre-conditioning - since my nav is non-functional, I don't navigate to chargers which I think is what triggers pre-conditioning? Is there another way it happens? If so, I'm clueless about it, and I'd say 90% of my charging is at home at night with a Tesla wall charger. Rather than fix my MCU-1 I'm going to upgrade to MCU-2 at which point I'll have nav back, and pre-conditioning I assume only when navigating to a charger.
I found the MCU2 to be well worth the cost. My MCU1 was so finicky, froze up at very inconvenient times, and would require a hard reset about 33% of the time. Yes, the car can pre-condition the battery for better Supercharging through the nav, but I was referring to setting the in-cabin temperature through the app or if you idle for extended periods of time while using the HVAC.

I usually keep the trip energy display open on the right side of my instrument cluster and have nav/media on the left side. The former allows me to see how much my average energy consumption is, a trip odometer based on my current trip or since my last charging, and how much energy I've used. I find it useful and that's how I observed the car consuming much more energy when starting out compared to a few minutes/miles down the road. Hope you find your solution.

i'd say u doing extremely well with Wh/mi
my 90d X has EPA of 324Wh/mi (pretty sure P90d has slightly higher rating)
i can barely get EPA range on 20in wheel in dry warm weather n driving 65mph n below
anything else will increase the consumption

depending on the part number of ur pack u might have early pack, those had faster degradation...

Edit: sorry just realized u talking about S, oops, ignore me then lol

I've got a pre facelift 2016 90D. Current "full" range is 265 miles, give or take. It'll supercharge with a pretty good curve.

I can get 280 at 65-70mph on the highway with all weather tires, slipstream wheels, AC off. This is over mostly but not totally level ground.

Same trip with AC on is 300 Wh/mi; with AC or heat on and snow tires and twin spokes is 320-330Wh/mi.

Around town 350-400 is common, mostly regardless of wheels / tires / AC.

Over the summer I do lots of driving back and forth taking kids to camp -- it's a 10-20 mile trip on roads that are 45mph; with the AC off I can get a consistent 240Wh/mi.

I think my P85D averaged 320wh/mi over the 3 years I had it, mixed with 20" wheels on AS3+ tires and MXM4s. I would not expect to get under 300wh/mi on longer trips unless they're in the summer over relatively flat ground or descending a mountain.

I've had my 2016 S P90DL for a few weeks now, have 84,000 miles on it. I'm thinking the battery has a fair amount of degradation on it, not the end of the world to me but I'm trying to learn about range, understand what I can do to extend it when needed. I have 19" wheels, Eagle Touring 245/45-19 that are maybe 1/2 tread, running 42-44 psi.

I seem to generally be seeing over 300 wh/mi. I do a fair amount of highway driving, and drive 68-75 mph most of the time, will see 320 wh/mi on those trips. The only time I can get below 300 is more local type roads at 45-55 mph. For range it seems to be a max of 200 miles in "real world" driving, seems like 10% of battery is 19-ish miles, maybe slightly more with a lighter foot.

In this model car should I expect to be able to keep it below 300 wh/mi on longer trips? Am I just driving too fast to get more range? Thanks for any help/comments on this!
Hey, Congrats on your P90DL! I've got a 2015 P90DL with 65K miles and my lifetime average is about 325 wh/mi, mostly driving in MA and NH. But I also have the 21" wheels. Yet, when I take my car down to FL during the winter season, I average 280-300.

I wouldn't fret too much. You bought an amazing car. It's been incredibly reliable in my 5 years of ownership.

Reactions: VxA=W
Hey, Congrats on your P90DL! I've got a 2015 P90DL with 65K miles and my lifetime average is about 325 wh/mi, mostly driving in MA and NH. But I also have the 21" wheels. Yet, when I take my car down to FL during the winter season, I average 280-300.

I wouldn't fret too much. You bought an amazing car. It's been incredibly reliable in my 5 years of ownership.
Definitely not worrying or stressed! Agree the car is absolutely amazing, I'm having so much fun driving it. It sounds like my numbers are not unusual based on the comments here, I was just wondering if I should be expecting lower power consumption but maybe not.

Keep an eye on LDU tho
And look into coolant delete
I'm getting the MCU-2 upgrade in the next few weeks, was wondering if I ought to ask them to inspect the LDU. Seems like some say to not ask a Tesla service center too many questions, so not sure if I should. Or I could ask about getting a quote on a delete. Do service centers do the delete?

I'm getting the MCU-2 upgrade in the next few weeks, was wondering if I ought to ask them to inspect the LDU. Seems like some say to not ask a Tesla service center too many questions, so not sure if I should. Or I could ask about getting a quote on a delete. Do service centers do the delete?
I would recommend contacting Electrified Garage up in Amesbury, MA. They are former Tesla techs who opened their own independent shop. I've had all my repairs done exclusively through them in the last 2 years. They are super knowledgable and friendly. I've even seen Rich Rebuilds hanging out with the crew the last time I was there! I bet they can do MCU upgrades and test your battery too.

There's also excellent apps you can use to monitor your battery health such as Scan my Tesla and TeslaFi. They require an ODB adapter to connect to the car's computer.

Reactions: VxA=W
I would recommend contacting Electrified Garage up in Amesbury, MA. They are former Tesla techs who opened their own independent shop. I've had all my repairs done exclusively through them in the last 2 years. They are super knowledgable and friendly. I've even seen Rich Rebuilds hanging out with the crew the last time I was there! I bet they can do MCU upgrades and test your battery too.

There's also excellent apps you can use to monitor your battery health such as Scan my Tesla and TeslaFi. They require an ODB adapter to connect to the car's computer.
Thanks so much for that recommendation! I'll contact them and see if I want to use them instead of the Beverly MA service center. I have to cancel and re-schedule my visit anyway.

I do a lot of trips that are perfect for this car, 90 to 160 mile round trips. Most of these don't require mobile charging depending on what else I'd done that day, and when I do there's some very convenient superchargers. So it's not like I'm struggling with range, more that I enjoy the tech and want to know more about what's going on.

Thanks so much for that recommendation! I'll contact them and see if I want to use them instead of the Beverly MA service center. I have to cancel and re-schedule my visit anyway.

I do a lot of trips that are perfect for this car, 90 to 160 mile round trips. Most of these don't require mobile charging depending on what else I'd done that day, and when I do there's some very convenient superchargers. So it's not like I'm struggling with range, more that I enjoy the tech and want to know more about what's going on.
No problem! Yeah, if you're a tech geek, you're going to love those 2 apps. Scanmytesla literally shows the voltage of each module. I agree on the range too. I've done 2 3,000 mile trips to Florida and back. The P90DL can easily do 180-200 miles at 70MPH. My body is done after 175 miles so it works out perfect to stop at the superchargers for rest and free juice! Did the unlimited supercharging get carried over to your car?

Also, we both have Autopilot 1, which even today, is considered one of the very best highway driver assistance tech out there. Tesla used MobileEye to design AP1 back in the day and then broke off relations to create their own. It took them almost 10 years to get AP2 and AP3 to be on par in terms of stability and reliability.

I don't have FUSC. I agree on autopilot, very functional and useful and reliable. I realized how much I'm a left of center driver when in the left lane once I saw how the S centers me in the lane. :)

I drove quite a bit on local 35-55 mph roads yesterday, saw wh/mi in the 270-280 range. Then was on the highway and didn't take long for the average to climb over 300 driving at 75.

Average watt per mile depend more on the driver than the car. Driving around town I get 240 pm and when my daughter uses the car she gets 280. @jerry33 got 233 average for over 100,00 miles. Other people are up in the high 380s. Tires and wheel size do make a big difference. 19s with e tires are far more efficient than 21s with performance tires. You might try putting the car in chill.

Thanks for the comments. I have done some driving in chill, did seem to extend range a bit. From what I understand chill mode doesn't "by itself" add range, simply forces more right foot restraint by limiting power. One of the things I plan to do is do some repetitive drives that I do each week, try driving once in chill with a light foot and again driving it hard and fast, just to see the magnitude of the difference.