Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Drove the P85D and I still want the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real question for the OP after the test drive: will you be opting for a Model X P85D?
Great question, I've been thinking about that. It's tempting, in that you don't have anything to kick yourself over later (other than being $20k+ lighter for the P). You then have the do-it-all hauling, green, comfortable, spacious, falcon-winged, Porsche-vanquishing, futuristic, safe, personal transporter. But 400 or so horsepower may be enough without going to the 700hp range, blasphemous as that may sound. I suspect more people than just me will be spending a few hours at the configurator once it's available. How about you? Die-hard must have the loaded Alpha version or painstakingly chosen precise options for real needs? The P85D drive didn't firm it up for me one way or the other.

That's an interesting reason. Sounds like she's expecting your son to live with you until he's 35. Hope you don't want your basement back. :biggrin:

Our 19 y/o son was a stand-in for client(s) that would be in the back seat sometimes. In California because of the earthquakes, we can't have a basement. :biggrin: But that didn't stop him from spending Berkeley's "dead week" (study for final exams week) at home!

I have friends (and even my wife) who find it difficult getting in and out of my Model S.

So far, all Teslas have some entry/exit issues. As others have noted, Roadster is worse, but the battery-high floor and low-roofline of Model S combine to make it harder than you'd think to get in and out.

I'm curious about the rear seats. With the old seats, I complained about both lack of headroom and knees coming up too high. Seems like the new seats help the headroom at the expense of the knee height. Do you feel like this:

Jimmy+Stewart+Uncomfortable+in+Morrocan+Restaurant.png

So far, all Teslas have some entry/exit issues. As others have noted, Roadster is worse, but the battery-high floor and low-roofline of Model S combine to make it harder than you'd think to get in and out.

My wife is 5'2" and I am 6'2" and neither of us has any difficulty getting in or out of our S. We are 60 years old as of this writing. Nor have I heard complaints from anyone who has ridden in my car, or driven it, which so far is dozens of people and a wide range of sizes and ages.

While it is clear that some people have raised this issue with the Model S, I doubt it effects more than a small fraction of all humans.

And yes, obviously the Roadster is a challenging car to get into and exit from. No news there. But I find the S to be quite easy.

My wife is 5'2" and I am 6'2" and neither of us has any difficulty getting in or out of our S.

I think it depends on what you're used to. I come from mainly standard sedans and don't really have any trouble. Most of my friends drive SUVs or crossovers (taller vehicles) and constantly complain about getting in to and out of my S. One friend will not go in my S when we go out and prefers to take his vehicle (a larger crossover). To be fair, he felt the same way about my Cadillac CTS as well. My wife also has a bit of trouble getting in and out, but she prefers minivans and taller vehicles herself as well.

Very personal musings follow, YMMV:

I have been pondering this question as well, ever since the P85D unveiling. My goal for Tesla was to buy into it fairly early (early for my market anyway, early obviously means different things in different parts of the globe) and quickly, and the P85 did that trick, but for the longer-term to get a four-wheel drive model once available.

Having driven plenty of German four-wheel driven premium sedans/saloons in my time, and less SUVs, I actually might well be in the market for a P85D judging by that, considering how sedan-like a hatchback it is. I certainly enjoy my P85 a lot, easily one of the top three or top two cars I've ever owned, perhaps the best in terms of the glee-factor. Its basic design is genius, how it frees space and goes for simplicity in structure compared to an average ICE or even ICE-like designed EV (Roadster being in the latter group). And it is a really pretty vehicle.

Yet, I don't want a P85D. I have given it some serious thought since obviously I could convert my Model X Signature reservation into a P85D order, if I wanted to. But buying another premium sedan or sedan-like hatchback wasn't all that interesting in the first place when I got the P85, I got the Model S because I felt compelled by its EVness and a lot of the design decisions that went into it (see the link in my signature), not so much by the form-factor of the car itself. Even if P85D had been available a year ago, going for that for the longer-term wouldn't exactly be right for me. Maybe I've grown tired of sedans personally or maybe it is because Model S still misses some things.

Model X is, as a form-factor or a vehicle configuration, much more interesting to me at this time - and leaving the experience of AWD EVing to that is an added bonus. I'll let the Model S be the performance RWD hatchback/sedan/saloon, and wait for the Model X for the SUV AWD thing. It also helps that Model X probably is the premium interior experience compared to the somewhat spartan Model S. I get it that Model X is basically an improved Model S, but overall that that a good thing. It improves things for me, I expect, to such a level to be really, really excited about.

So, I'll let each car have their own personality. I will probably select a different colors inside and outside for the Model X, too, for a wholly new experience. Model S is a bit of a beautiful detour and a pioneer of a car for me, Model X is the one I feel really strongly about as a vehicle, personally, not just as an idea.

I expect Model X to mature the idea of Model S to a wholly exciting car and that's what it's about for me. Who am I kidding, it's all about the falcon wings.

"Who am I kidding, it's all about the falcon wings."

The EU will be seeing a new bird when you get your X. Make sure you get the extended warranty for those doors, as I suspect they will be flapping often!

Off topic but its funny the doors make so many people worried about reliability, etc. I suspect they will be so over-engineered that they won't fail, but something simple will. I thought my Mercedes SL55 folding hardtop and supercharger would be problem spots, and 10 years later, they are rock solid. Everything else, mind you, has been replaced. As you say YMMV.

I am 80 years old with arthritis. And not skinny either.
I find that getting in and out of the Tesla S is not difficult. Not super easy either, I wouldn't want it if I had to get in and out like a UPS driver.. But I wouldn't want doors in that case either.
The seats and steering wheel are easily adjustable to give more room if needed. I believe that there is a memory function too but since I am the only driver don't use it. To worry about the one not perfect 30 second getting in or out seems minor to me compared to the far less than perfect 30 minute or more driving time I would get in a ICE
But many (most?) drivers are so numb and incompetant at driving that they can't tell the difference between a great and a mediocre driving experience.

We loved the Tesla when we test drove it.

However, compared to our Mercedes GLK SUV, the Tesla Model S is difficult to get in/out of for a family. Belting up my smallest is a chore when the seat is so low compared to the much higher stance of an SUV. The other major issue (for me driving in the city) was the massive A pillar blind spot, I found myself rocking forward at every stop to look around the corner of the car before I could proceed. In my Smart ED or Mercedes GLK, the visibility is noticeably better.

This is an interesting thought. I have friends (and even my wife) who find it difficult getting in and out of my Model S. To be fair, the same was true of my Cadillac CTS. They seem to prefer stepping up and in to the car rather than squatting down as you do getting into a sedan or coupe. I think this is a valid point and a significant factor in choosing a vehicle. Hopefully no more delays to the Model X so that Tesla can capitalize on this.

i agree. Both my wife and I have minor back issues and getting in and out of the "S" is almost as difficult as my BMW650 conv which she hates. So we are waiting for the X. Did drive the P85D and the new seats are a big improvement but getting in is still difficult.

However, compared to our Mercedes GLK SUV, the Tesla Model S is difficult to get in/out of for a family. Belting up my smallest is a chore when the seat is so low compared to the much higher stance of an SUV. The other major issue (for me driving in the city) was the massive A pillar blind spot, I found myself rocking forward at every stop to look around the corner of the car before I could proceed. In my Smart ED or Mercedes GLK, the visibility is noticeably better.

Update :

Traded our Mercedes GLK for a CPO S85 two weeks ago. My wife reported having a few short moments of regret, followed by complete satisfaction with the Tesla. My smallest has figured out how to belt himself in, even though the Tesla has recessed seat belt latches. I've driven 2500 km in the first week, and a lot of smaller trips this week, the concerns I had regarding visibility were not practical limits, but were just a matter of getting used to a different vehicle. Very satisfied with our 4 door sedan, and will see what Tesla have available again in CPO market in 3+ years time.