Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to remove the Roadster's foot rest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did when I ordered my car. They said they could leave it out or leave it in... my choice. I asked if it was removable and they said no, it's glued in. Yet others claim that at least one unit has broken off... I don't know what version of the car that unit was on.

But now that I've examined mine, obviously screws are involved, so I'll unscrew them and get back to you in a few days.

They've changed. Here's a mid-2010 Roadster 2.0 foot rest.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1614&d=1302663518.jpg

Attachments

• footrest.jpg
    footrest.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 169
Ah-hah! Alright, that makes me much more excited about this. I bet they're removable now because they might need to be replaced (since they're rubber and can wear). I'm thinking I might need to run down to the shop and see if I can unscrew that baby right now.

With the older version of the dead pedal it does look like there is space to just slip your foot behind it as it angles back to the wall. Not so I don't think with the newer rubber version which a more boxy shape. Older one might not be quite as confortable as it's just metal, but at least you can slip your foot behind it if you want to stretch your legs out.

Well, good luck for me. The two screws are all that holds it in. I mocked up a temporary wooden dead pedal that's very comfy and once I'm satisfied it's at the most comfy angle and depth I'll have my machinist friend make me a new wider, deeper, better-angled dead pedal. I'm stoked! In the last pic you can see the mounting holes for the original pedal and the cutout in the carpet showing it's original position. I've gained a couple of inches and so far it seems right. Now to run to Ace for some mounting Velcro.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Next I'm going to glue some heavy foam to the front of it for more comfort and just a tiny bit more height. It's such a relief not to have my calf jammed against the edge of the sill. Now it rests against the flat side of the sill and with the increased area, the pressure on the muscle is much more acceptable.

Very good solution all around. Even when using the deal pedal I felt like it was a bit too small and too far up against the side of the footwell in addition to being too far forward. Also, even when putting my foot against the back of the footwell to stretch out, it was too cramped because of the dead pedal on the side, and my toe would hit the bolt at the top as well which is not comfortable at all (the one with a green line through it in your picture). Your solution solves everyone of those problems!

I think I've figured out a good way to build and mount a simple machined dead pedal to mimic this mock-up but make it somewhat adjustable using the original screw mounts, which are nicely fitted into the aluminum chassis. Should work with a single piece of aluminum cut into a T shape, with two bends. One at the floor to bend back toward the wall, one is the tail on the T bent up to follow the left wall to the original screw holes. Two over-sized slot-shaped holes should provide a good amount of adjustment using flat-head machine screws going through stainless fender washers.

Drivers of all sizes, huh? Hmm. I don't think there's room for more than an inch of movement with the design I have in mind. A two-piece system would be much more adjustable... Some sort if bracket with multiple mount points held on the left wall, with a pedal that can mount anywhere on the bracket. Ideally some kind of pedal one could depress to the desired position and angle and it would stick, and then to raise it back up, depress it to the back wall where it releases. But I'm being far too ambitious here. ;)