Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

202X Roadster Delay Legal Action?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we should try to get a founders edition group together to lobby, form a class action
I asked upthread but I’ll ask again: what are your damages that form the basis of your suit?
Tesla is in violation of a number of consumer protection acts
Which ones would those be?
The delay is now far in excess of anything reasonable that They told us.
Then you should ask for the refund you’re entitled to.

I really just want the car or some communication and transparency. A apology email for the delays would be nice.
Wrong company to do business with if that’s what you want.

One feels not like a valued customer, but a despised customer the way we’ve been ignored after years & multiple attempts to get some answers
It feels like that because that’s exactly the case. The only people Tesla values are the shareholders. They’re not going to change their anti consumer practices until it starts adversely impacting their stock.

Reactions: dsm363
Wrong company to do business with if that’s what you want.

It feels like that because that’s exactly the case. The only people Tesla values are the shareholders. They’re not going to change their anti consumer practices until it starts adversely impacting their stock.
They also have no PR team anymore. In the old days, people like George Blankenship was the consumer advocate there and would smooth certain things over. Not like that anymore.

I guess George has a new gig. Super nice guy.

I paid $50,000 in November of 2017, and same thing. Tesla never called me back. I've grown to dislike the company that I once greatly admired. I called many times to ask my place in line with the Roadster reservation - no can do. I recently called and asked if my reservation locked in the 200K price. The Tesla agent said they don't know. Really? Tesla emailed to me a link to get back my deposit, which could take as long as "8 weeks."

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
Tesla emailed to me a link to get back my deposit, which could take as long as "8 weeks."
If you really want the $ back (which I totally understand) an additional 8 weeks wait doesn’t seem like a deal breaker to me…you’ve been waiting years at this point, right?

I’d also guess (and just a guess) that 8 weeks is the total length of the window…I recently sold a car to BMW (for my wife’s new car) and was told it could be 3 - 4 weeks to get the check…but it arrived in 1.

Old Tesla sent swag to reservation holders as a thanks for delays in production. Old Tesla washed my car and vacuumed a T into the rear trunk carpet. Old Tesla used to care about faithful clients, but nowadays there are too many faithful and too many old clients. It's the reality of moving from hand built to Legacy Auto style mass production. The mission is still fine, but the nostalgic practices of old are all gone. It happens to every business that moves from small to massive.

I feel a bit sad for the OP but I'm going to lay it on the line: 1) your price is not locked in. The CT currently cost 2x what the tri-motor was promised at. 2) the CT is their newest and best tech. Think about that for a long moment. The CT, which real world gets about 1/3 of the promised range, is their best effort. 3) Musk has a long history of over promising and under delivering and he'll do it again. That will absolutely include more $, less range & low quality. It'll also depreciate massively unless builds are very low production.
Porsche currently builds phenomenal EV sports sedans and in real world range tests Porsches commonly get 30% ABOVE ratings.
Truly sorry that you did this deposit thing. You lost at least $100k. Furthermore, Musk made at least $100k on your money, so you absolutely have already offered to pay $350-500k for this car, IF they actually sold it to you for $250k.
I don't know your life history, but this is likely the largest financial error of your life but don't throw good money after bad.
GL.

this is likely the largest financial error of your life but don't throw good money after bad
If you have enough money to throw down $250k on this vehicle I’d wager this isn’t even close to your largest financial error. I’d never feel comfortable paying (let alone pre-paying) that kind of money for a car and I can easily outclass that $100k mistake (I do it every time I look at the PayPal stock I should have sold 2 years ago!)

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Fair point but at least your stock had a chance of making you more money. Prepaying for a car was always going to be a 100% loser, and every day that passes makes it more of one.

A buddy years ago told me that he placed a deposit on a custom ordered Porsche and when the transaction was completed, they returned his deposit, with interest. At a minimum that's what Tesla should do as I promise you, they are making money off that deposit.

Reactions: mborkow
There is no substantial battery technology on the immediate horizon, just incremental improvements.

The Roadster would certainly be slippery and with a bit of Musk exaggeration thrown in could be rated for 350-400 miles at a typical EV sedan weight.

There is no magic however and Musk is not going to build a sub 3500# sports can that gets 600 miles of range, ain't going to happen for at least another decade if not longer. If he built it to 4.5K#s the car would probably get 400 miles of range.

Who would want a sports car with no interior anyways?

If OP has lots of money to spend, buy the Porsche. If not, the Ioniq 'N' is positively insane for < $70K and is probably what I'll end up with in a few years.

Most people here just dont have .25m for the car deposit. Hence the tone. Sorry for your loss - I'm angry for the delay and i resisted sending a deposit.

620 range is totally doable with today's tech. Its 150kwh pack with significantly less air resistance and weight (smaller and CF body) than Model S. And there is enough space for 150kwh once its arranged like in Nevera.

Lawsuit would be a frustration. Get a refund, though. Apparently its not coming before 2025. And probably the end of it.