Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2025 Roadster per Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess Elon went on twitter and posted that Tesla will unveil the new roadster later this year. He is aiming to ship next year. We'll have to see but maybe the delay is a good thing where Tesla can make the roadster better than their competition. Just a guess without seeing the "improved" model.

Anyone excited about this news?

I guess Elon went on twitter and posted that Tesla will unveil the new roadster later this year. He is aiming to ship next year. We'll have to see but maybe the delay is a good thing where Tesla can make the roadster better than their competition. Just a guess without seeing the "improved" model.

Anyone excited about this news?

No. "Elon Musk tweeted" is never a reason to get excited.
The reason to get excited would be evidence that Tesla is able to produce high-performance, high-nickel 4680 at a good yield.

I have a countdown on my phone that I started around the time the Roadster was unveiled. It was when I was hoping to be able to afford a (used) Roadster, sometime in 2026, trading in my soon to be bought (used) performance Model S, my first Tesla. I am on my second S now, and the countdown title has changed slightly 😆

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228_115307_Time Until.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_115307_Time Until.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 44
I have a countdown on my phone that I started around the time the Roadster was unveiled. It was when I was hoping to be able to afford a (used) Roadster, sometime in 2026, trading in my soon to be bought (used) performance Model S, my first Tesla. I am on my second S now, and the countdown title has changed slightly 😆
If it is limited run (maybe 5000 units), then it's possible that they don't depreciate but appreciate. As the number dwindle down throughout the years, the price goes up...

Tonight, we radically increased the design goals for the new Tesla Roadster.
That's the opposite of what I wanted. I'd prefer something cheaper, lighter, simpler, more in the spirit of the old Roadster.

TechoKing wants to awe his subjects with amazing TechnoToys, with bragging rights and world records set.

Meanwhile, I long for a well-balanced, good performing sports car. Fortunately we've also got Lotus, Porsche and Caterham working on that problem.

After 4 years of time wasted building a still-unfinished Cybertruck, I am concerned about resources focusing on the roadster. Mostly because Tesla needs the low-cost vehicle more than a new toy for the rich.

Also; a rocket needs fuel, as in some sort of petrol. How does one justify Tesla making a hybrid that relies on fuel? Seems against the principle of why Tesla exists. Doesn’t matter if that’s a limited run of vehicles. It’s ridiculous. Or am I misunderstanding what is being proposed?

Tesla could use a widening of their vehicle offerings, so a super sports car isn’t the worse thing, but only if it doesn’t delay progress on the mass-market, gen-3 vehicle.

After 4 years of time wasted building a still-unfinished Cybertruck, I am concerned about resources focusing on the roadster. Mostly because Tesla needs the low-cost vehicle more than a new toy for the rich.

Also; a rocket needs fuel, as in some sort of petrol. How does one justify Tesla making a hybrid that relies on fuel? Seems against the principle of why Tesla exists. Doesn’t matter if that’s a limited run of vehicles. It’s ridiculous. Or am I misunderstanding what is being proposed?

Tesla could use a widening of their vehicle offerings, so a super sports car isn’t the worse thing, but only if it doesn’t delay progress on the mass-market, gen-3 vehicle.

(1) No need to be concerned. They have multiple teams working on different products (current, next gen, future, R&D, etc...).
(2) Tesla will release their low-cost vehicle when it's time and ready for it to be announced. Lots of moving parts for this one currently in motion.
(3) You may be confused. The rockets for the Next Gen Roadster are cold air thrusters and does not require petrol or fuel of any type. Refer to Elon's old tween when he spoke of this. Also take a look at the patent for this that is owned by Ferrari (Ferrari patents gas-thruster system to boost performance)
(4) Tesla does not make hybrids. See #3 above
(5) The Next Gen Roadster is not delaying anything... It's in addition to everything.

Reactions: GhostSkater
(1) No need to be concerned. They have multiple teams working on different products (current, next gen, future, R&D, etc...).
(2) Tesla will release their low-cost vehicle when it's time and ready for it to be announced. Lots of moving parts for this one currently in motion.
(3) You may be confused. The rockets for the Next Gen Roadster are cold air thrusters and does not require petrol or fuel of any type. Refer to Elon's old tween when he spoke of this. Also take a look at the patent for this that is owned by Ferrari (Ferrari patents gas-thruster system to boost performance)
(4) Tesla does not make hybrids. See #3 above
(5) The Next Gen Roadster is not delaying anything... It's in addition to everything.
While I agree with this post for the most part, there's one small point of clarification to be made: just because there are multiple teams dedicated to specific projects, the resources for those teams come from the same bucket. That bucket isn't a limitless resource bucket. Each quarter those resources are allocated and based on slices of a single pie; if one slice gets larger, others have to get smaller.

So the other poster wasn't wrong in saying that project focus transitions could reduce resources for something else but it's far too blanket of a statement without considering all other factors. We all know how focused Tesla is on the bottom line so it's pretty safe to say that focusing efforts on a Next Gen Roadster will indeed negatively impact all other projects... the only debate is on how much each will be affected and if the result will be appreciable by the consumer.

I wouldn't feel the need to correct someone who feels concerned that this allocation isn't being optimized for what they believe is the best path forward towards the overall objective. These are the exact types of high-level decisions that can derail small(ish) upstarts who are trying to disrupt an established segment.

Reactions: Sporty
If this is true, it doesn't matter when/if it comes out for me. It's a halo/vanity project anyway. My Model Y has more acceleration than I care to use...YMMV
Prices for the 2025 Tesla Roadster will start at $200,000, while the Founders Series limited-edition model will go for $250,000. We assume there will be optional extras, like different wheels and tires or carbon-fiber interior trim.

If this is true, it doesn't matter when/if it comes out for me. It's a halo/vanity project anyway. My Model Y has more acceleration than I care to use...YMMV
I believe these were the estimated prices back in 2017 when they also were saying Cybertruck would be $39,999. A lot has happened since then. If that thing comes out a couple of years from now still at $200k it'll be a bargain. Of course, a happy meal will be $47 so it's all relative, really.

I believe these were the estimated prices back in 2017 when they also were saying Cybertruck would be $39,999. A lot has happened since then. If that thing comes out a couple of years from now still at $200k it'll be a bargain. Of course, a happy meal will be $47 so it's all relative, really.

Estimate for those who placed a deposit (ie, the $50K), but actual full price for those who paid in full ($250K). The question is what legally can they do if the need to increase the price for those who paid in full... The first $5K of both was done through Apple Pay, and the remainder ($45K or $245K) was a bank wire transfer to their account in Florida (I recall).

I’m on my 3rd model 3. I might trade my current M3P - so likely 4. Wasn’t planning on it but my current one has an occasional “klunk” that, despite what the repair department says, is not normal. So I want to get ride of it. I’m waiting to see the refreshed M3P specs.

As for the roadster I figure in Musk is saying ‘25 that means definitely not ‘25. So best case ‘26.

Reactions: byeLT4