Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PLUS, dealer markup in many cases. Or dealers reselling people’s trucks from underneath them.

That’s the beauty of legacy auto. Regardless of how the manufacturer treats you, the dealer network can still figure out a way to screw you over.

Yes.

Also, Ford opens the order book for like a week for many models. I tried to buy a Maverick but it's not even possible to order one at MSRP. The absolute worst sales organization.

The entire Ford purchasing/pricing process feels like a scam.

Another price hike this time pushing the base up to 55K+ now.
The beatings will continue until there are reasonable alternatives you can buy on the open market.

Once the Cybertruck is launched I suspect it will reset people's expectations about what to expect out of an electric truck.

I just recently watched this (x1.75 speed gear icon) and thought it provided some insights on how long they've worked on this project and their approach.
Last half was better than first half.
Ford Interview | CEO Jim Farley, Chief Engineer Linda Zhang, and Chief EV Officer Doug Field - Munro Live

Reactions: KJD
The beatings will continue until there are reasonable alternatives you can buy on the open market.
The exact same statement is true for Tesla vis a vis electric cars and crossovers.
Once the Cybertruck is launched I suspect it will reset people's expectations about what to expect out of an electric truck.
We haven't seen CT pricing yet so there is literally no comparison. GM threw down the gauntlet on the high end and Ford and Rivian have done so on the mid range. I'm excited to see the final CT as well but it's either going to be cheap or amazing - it cannot be both.

The exact same statement is true for Tesla vis a vis electric cars and crossovers.

We haven't seen CT pricing yet so there is literally no comparison. GM threw down the gauntlet on the high end and Ford and Rivian have done so on the mid range. I'm excited to see the final CT as well but it's either going to be cheap or amazing - it cannot be both.
As I said above, it's impossible to compare a shipping vehicle to a non-shipping vehicle.

Rivian is not "Mid Range", at nearly double the cost of the average truck they are high end. The Hummer is just a giant joke.

I suppose the base F150 few people have been able to buy is mid range? But it's a pretty low bar in terms of features.

Yes.

Also, Ford opens the order book for like a week for many models. I tried to buy a Maverick but it's not even possible to order one at MSRP. The absolute worst sales organization.

The entire Ford purchasing/pricing process feels like a scam.
This much I agree with 100%. I should also say that I have a Rivian R1T reservation. The problem is they can't seem to figure out how to build them in a reasonable time frame and there are about 80,000 people ahead of me in line.

Tried to look at a Ford Lightning last week but the dealer was asking 15 grand over MSRP for a "used" truck with 3,000 miles. When I complained about it all he could say was the other dealers are charging more than that. :mad:

I also tried to look at the Maverick as something to tide me over till I can get and EV and found same as you, none to be had at a reasonable price.

Ford is scamming people and the majority of dealers are ripping people off. The wait time is less for a fully loaded Truck than for a Truck with fewer options. That tells me Ford only wants to build the top of the line Trucks to make a lot more money off of people. If they were actually suffering from parts shortages the top of the line trucks would be affected more. You can get a fully loaded F250 faster than you can get an F250 XLT.

I tend to see this differently.
I think they will continue to increase price to maximize profit margins as they see how much market demand there is for these things. There's no sense in Ford selling the F150Lightning for $40K when there are people waiting in line who will pay $60K.
With that demand most will still have to pay $60K but it will be to speculators (and dealers) who snap them up and resell them for what the market will bear. I'd much prefer that Tesla, Ford, et al make the profit since they can and will plow it back into building more manufacturing capacity. With the demand potential, you can be sure that, while the corporations will pocket some of the profits, they will plow it back into growty.
Greed is such a great motivator.
I'm happy because this means that we'll see the end of gas much faster than any of the 'experts' dare predict. The transition from ICE to EV will only be limited by how fast enough EVs can be designed and batteries can be manufactured. These price increases only ensure there will be plenty of cashflow and motivation to support this.
As production increases, we'll undoubtedly see prices come down.

Higher voltage improves the charging curve (I.e. less fall-off in charging speed as SOC increases).

A technology advantage to 800V cars have over a Tesla, at least at the moment.

Ref: 400 volts vs 800 volts charging speeds question
As others have said and I'll echo and expand: Voltage only matters for wire size, wire cooling, and insulation. It is Power that charges. Since Power=Current X Voltage, one can increase either the voltage or the current to get more power.

Reactions: MP3Mike
$54,504
Reasonable price. The only problem with that one is it's the small battery version with range of 230 miles. The long range version (320 miles) are a lot harder to come by.

I tend to see this differently.
I think they will continue to increase price to maximize profit margins as they see how much market demand there is for these things. There's no sense in Ford selling the F150Lightning for $40K when there are people waiting in line who will pay $60K.
No, this is exactly how I see it. The beatings are for the customers who have to pony up top dollar if they want to get an electric truck. Once they are more common, prices will come down.

Yes.

The entire Ford purchasing/pricing process feels like a scamAs
On the Maverick, I was told by a dealer( last weekend) that Ford will not be producing the Hybrid version for "awhile"? and that when those that ordered theirs will see them late next summer. He said he would add my name to a list for the trucks people changed their minds on taking home,,.after they hit the dealership. As far as MSRP the few that were in stock a while back were the XL ( least expensive ) and had mark ups ranging from $5-10 thousand over msrp.

I just recently watched this (x1.75 speed gear icon) and thought it provided some insights on how long they've worked on this project and their approach.
Last half was better than first half.
Ford Interview | CEO Jim Farley, Chief Engineer Linda Zhang, and Chief EV Officer Doug Field - Munro Live
Really good video. I was glad to see them talking about the charging network and Sandy talking about how bad EA is at providing public charge stations. The reliability of the EA network sucks.

At least Ford knows that they have some work to do in the public charging space. Gives me hope things will improve sooner rather than later.

Reactions: scottf200
Too much hate on EA. It's location dependent. Here in NorCal I prefer EA on my other EV since it's reliable.

Ford sucks, end of story. The whole thing is a scam. Why even put the price on the website when most people can't buy it at that price to begin with? It's a typical bait and switch scam.

They know their dealers are ripping people off too, but aren't doing anything about it.

• Disagree
As I said above, it's impossible to compare a shipping vehicle to a non-shipping vehicle.

Rivian is not "Mid Range", at nearly double the cost of the average truck they are high end. The Hummer is just a giant joke.

I suppose the base F150 few people have been able to buy is mid range? But it's a pretty low bar in terms of features.
Yes but it is a great basic truck. I wish it had the larger battery but that is all. Oh super charging too. I don’t need or want anything else. Cut will be neat when it rolls out but I find it is Tesla rather than Ford that has been guilty of offering a product they have no intent to deliver. The basic pro lightning is available, Ford honored pricing if you reserved it. No dealer markups if you reserved it.

I doNt blame ford for increasing the price, they were limited to 50k units so Margins wont be great. I hope they can get to the 200k run rate and ct and lightning and Silverado take over the truck market.

The basic pro lightning is available, Ford honored pricing if you reserved it.

Nope. Your price wasn't locked in until you were granted the ability to configure your truck, which they open up to reservationist very slowly and over time.

No dealer markups if you reserved it.
Again, wrong. Ford doesn't control the pricing. It depends on the dealer that you ordered through. Some honor MSRP, others don't.

Reactions: Cheburashka and KJD
Nope. Your price wasn't locked in until you were granted the ability to configure your truck, which they open up to reservationist very slowly and over time.

Again, wrong. Ford doesn't control the pricing. It depends on the dealer that you ordered through. Some honor MSRP, others don't.
Maybe but i don’t personally know people who reserved and got stiffed. I am no fan of dealers but I think you are making much ado about nothing . Now dealers are speculating, so are people. Lots of high price trucks out there.

The issue for Ford is getting production up, battery production with sk.

• Helpful
f150ev.PNG

Is this for real? I def do not qualify for the new $7500 incentive.
Gas powered XLT now costs 60k. That used to be the best bang for the buck pickup year after year (pre covid)
I currently have a 19 loaded platinum.
f150ev2.PNG