Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could also be people are trying to unload them because the job or equity market conditions.

Also, a bit surprised people are selling them so soon. According to this article, Ford was suggesting dealers could put this wording in the sales contract:
"Purchaser hereby agrees that it will not sell, offer to sell, or otherwise transfer any ownership interest in the Vehicle prior to the first anniversary of the date hereof. Purchaser further agrees that Seller may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of the title of the Vehicle or demand payment from Purchase of all value received as consideration for the sale or transfer.”
Grrr. Just eliminate the damn dealers already! When I placed my order I had four different people texting and calling trying to justify their existence. It's coming - start looking for new employment now.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210
If you resell Teslas, they stop selling them to you. You end up on their blacklist and if you want another you have to buy it second hand.

I don’t think they bother with people who flip one car, the only case I’ve heard of, a guy was flipping a few.

Ultium in the Silverado is compelling simply because if a cell in the battery fails, you can replace that module instead of $20k+ for an entire pack. Right now the F150 Lightning, Hybrid, and GMC Canyon are at the top of the list for me. However with the high prices, it's hard to justify spending the extra money on an EV version right now. You have to drive a lot to make it financially worthwhile, and I put on 30k annually.

Range is pointless if it takes an 90+ minutes to charge you are still screwed when road tripping. Solid bet the Cybertruck with 300 miles range will be the much better road trip machine than the Silverado even with the lower range.
I'd assume it's going to charge as fast as the CT since it has an 800v battery. 30 minutes to 80% is respectable considering my 2017MS does pretty much the same.
I think the Ford Lightning prices just went up another 9%.

Screw Ford.
To play devil's advocate, Ford only priced it at $41k to compete with the non existent CT that was supposed to start at $40k. Now that we (and ford) know there's no chance that's happening, they raise the price of the lowest trim.

How much did Tesla raise the price on the Model Y over the last 2 years ?
The big difference is that Tesla was actually honoring the price for the Model Ys from when people placed their order. (Even if it was more than a year before they could take delivery.) Ford essentially didn't sell any of the Lightning Pros at the original price they "offered" them for, they sold almost all higher trim levels. And Ford didn't honor the price that was available when they originally ordered, it was re-priced when they were finally allowed to configure their order.

I'd assume it's going to charge as fast as the CT since it has an 800v battery.
Battery voltage has little to do with charging speed. That depends on charging power and the ability of the battery to take the power (wiring, cooling, and control circuitry).
30 minutes to 80% is respectable considering my 2017MS does pretty much the same.
Congratulations to Ford: They can charge as fast as Tesla's 5 year old vehicle based on their 10 year old 1st generation battery pack design.

Of course it won't charge nearly as fast at a broken CCS charger and will be a lot slower on a 50 kW CCS. Then, you have to count the time wasted fussing with the app, waiting on hold for customer support, and waiting for the stations to reboot.
I seriously hope Ford amps up their game getting the trash CCS infrastructure working. It may not matter for tradespeople who will mostly charge at the office but it will greatly affect recreational users.

Maybe if they had used the incentive rebates to work out the bugs on fast charging with their Focus EV or their C-Max and Fusion energi compliance cars, they'd be able to do better today. Now they're in a tail-chase trying to catch Tesla and can only hope that Musk's antics continue to sour the brand.

Battery voltage has little to do with charging speed. That depends on charging power and the ability of the battery to take the power (wiring, cooling, and control circuitry).
Higher voltage improves the charging curve (I.e. less fall-off in charging speed as SOC increases).

A technology advantage to 800V cars have over a Tesla, at least at the moment.

Ref: 400 volts vs 800 volts charging speeds question

Higher voltage improves the charging curve (I.e. less fall-off in charging speed as SOC increases).

A technology advantage to 800V cars have over a Tesla, at least at the moment.

Ref: 400 volts vs 800 volts charging speeds question
Nope, it makes no difference to the charging curve, or the charging rate. (Assuming that the equipment is capable of providing the amps necessary to get the desired result.)

The only real reason cars are going to 800-1000v is because CCS is currently limited to 500 amps. So with a ~400 volt pack the maximum rate you could get would be 200kW regardless of how large your pack was or how much power it could handle. By going to 800 volts you double that to 400kW capability. (Of course that isn't totally accurate since at a low state of charge the voltage is lower, making your top charging rate when "empty" closer to 175kW and 350kW.)

Since Tesla can push almost 700 amps through the V3 Superchargers it doesn't suffer near as much from the lower voltage.

I'd assume it's going to charge as fast as the CT since it has an 800v battery. 30 minutes to 80% is respectable considering my 2017MS does pretty much the same.
As I said in the post I replied to, we don’t have any real world numbers to compare, but GMs track record with efficiency on their Ultium platform is quite gross. The Hummer and the LYRIQ are both hugely wasteful for the utility they provide. It is very likely the Silverado will be a close cousin to the Hummer in terms of battery size and (in)efficiency.

Even if the Silverado is just as fast at getting power into the cells, since it’s likely to be 20-40% less efficient (as the LYRIQ is), it is going to take much more time to charge just on that basis.

On a miles/ hour basis, the LRYIQ charges about 50% slower than the Model Y. Silverado is likely to be similarly at least 50% slower than the Cybertruck. So far, GM has shown no aptitude for manufacturing efficient or fast charging EVs.

Reactions: nativewolf
The big difference is that Tesla was actually honoring the price for the Model Ys from when people placed their order. (Even if it was more than a year before they could take delivery.) Ford essentially didn't sell any of the Lightning Pros at the original price they "offered" them for, they sold almost all higher trim levels. And Ford didn't honor the price that was available when they originally ordered, it was re-priced when they were finally allowed to configure their order.
PLUS, dealer markup in many cases. Or dealers reselling people’s trucks from underneath them.

That’s the beauty of legacy auto. Regardless of how the manufacturer treats you, the dealer network can still figure out a way to screw you over.