Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck is more expensive to supercharge than a Ford F-150 costs in gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is true, I ignored the environmental part because I remember the mining of cobalt and rare earth materials has some consequences. I was most surprised that the running costs in Canada are unbelievably low. If I charge from 11 pm to 7 am, I pay only 2.8 cents/kWH which is around 2c USD. That's insanely cheap for charging at home. @200WH / km.

I'm paying for electricity costs of 56c CAD or 40c USD / 100km. That's 64c usd /100 miles. Even if there is efficiency loss and transmission costs in the utility bills, it will work out to < USD 1 / 100km.

Repair costs are lower, no fluid changes. 12V battery needs to be changed every 3-4 years but it's cheap. The big item is suspension, if you drive over potholes frequently or hit a raised block in underground parking, you could face a very expensive suspension repair comparable to the air suspension costs of an S-class Benz.
As a reminder, the transition to EV's results in LESS mining and extraction, not more . . . or do people really think that drilling, refining, and then burning fossil fuels is some sort of a "freebie" for the environment?

Details, at great length, here:

Reactions: finman100
Wow, the hoops people jump through to avoid doing anything to leave a usable planet are really something.

If you can put your mental gymnastic skills to rest, perhaps you might find that if you use the sun's energy to power your home and EV's, you'll use less or no power from fossil fuels, thus, you won't be dumping as much GHG's.

Pretty simple, right?

But since you may have trouble acknowledging facts that challenge your worldview, we'll likely have to rely on others to pull your weight. Sad state of affairs that makes we wonder if our species will be able to keep this fine planet of ours . . . .

Far too many are like our poster here--finding any and every excuse for THEM to do absolutely nothing. It's all about pointing their finger at someone else, or some other country, as their excuse, and never looking in the mirror.

For those that wish to become part of the solution, rather than remaining part of the problem, these links will help refute our poster's misinformation:

Yes, it matters. Observed and anticipated increases in greenhouse gas emissions from China and other countries don’t let Americans off the hook for reducing emissions. From a purely physical perspective, any reduction in emissions helps minimize future temperature increases. From the perspective of fairness, the United States has released more heat-trapping gases to date than either China or India, the world’s two most populous countries. Carbon dioxide is a long-lived greenhouse gas that can linger in Earth’s atmosphere for thousands of years. Consequently, the United States bears more responsibility for the amount of warming that has occurred so far and will persist for millennia.
[truncated]

At almost 60 yo, me buying solar panels and expecting a return on investment is total lunacy.

Guarantee you I could look at your daily living and find hypocrisy. Do you fly commercial jets? If yes, stop killing the planet.

The problem with the climate change religion is that it requires a lot of faith to support.

At almost 60 yo, me buying solar panels and expecting a return on investment is total lunacy.

Guarantee you I could look at your daily living and find hypocrisy. Do you fly commercial jets? If yes, stop killing the planet.

The problem with the climate change religion is that it requires a lot of faith to support.
On the contrary, it is the OPPOSITE of faith.

Pity that too many are of similar mindset--"I've dumped my GHG's and to heck with those that follow."

The externalities will be devasting, but fortunately, posts like yours help others that do care to ACT, hopefully before the feedback loops destroy our planet:

Even scientists have had it--decades of advising of the threat to our only planet, and no one in power gives a damn:

But, hey, you be you and it appears your on the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" train . . . .

For everyone else, the poster is a warning: the onus is on US, those with education, intelligence, and wisdom to carry the load for EVERYONE else. Let's not drop the ball.

Everyone with other-than-rocks between their ears needs to ACT.

"ACT" means:

1. EV's in the garage.
2. Solar panels on the roof.
3. Methane meter removed from the side of your house.

. . . as a start.

Thx.

As a reminder, the transition to EVs results in LESS mining and extraction, not more. . or do people think that drilling, refining, and then burning fossil fuels is some sort of a "freebie" for the environment?

Details, at great length, here:

I'm all for doing all I can to use fewer resources, For example, I switched to CF light bulbs before anyone else I know and then to LED bulbs / fixtures when they were very expensive.

EVs make economic sense when you can keep electricity costs lower - and in places with lots of nuclear or hydropower, this is the case. The real per kWH cost of electricity with wind and solar in every country that adopted them widely has gone up significantly. Why is this when solar and wind are "Free"? The answer lies in a complex series of big cost adders from construction to maintenance/replacement and what happens when at night and when there is no wind. This means backup energy or storage is a problem. You build backup generators using NG or coal to kick in when the renewables go to zero.

The backup generators are power plants that cost money to build, and they have to handle peak power demand on windless nights. This means the cost of that backup power infrastructure is actually a mandatory part of the renewable solar and wind turbines, and that backup power is turned on intermittently while incurring the same (possibly worse with daily on/off cycles) maintenance costs. Every chart that shows how much power wind and solar are contributing is dishonest because they are hiding the cost of these backup power costs that still cannot be avoided unless battery storage tech jumps a few more generations. Alternatively, you can pump water uphill with excess solar/wind power and then run a mini hydropower dam on windless nights --- that will require huge manmade lakes uphill to serve each city. Solar is a lot more mature than wind, but it has that night downtime. Wind needs more design cycles to reduce replacement costs - possibly it needs bladeless turbines, and it's silly to place them near salt water. Overall, whenever you make energy expensive on a per kWH basis for everyone, we are creating immense pain for billions of people - we need to improve the technology and reduce costs per kWH sustainably to minimize how much pain this will wreak on the world.

Make no mistake, I'm arguing that Teslas make complete sense to own from running costs and it's great if it helps reduce the need to burn fossil fuels. I'm perfectly happy we are only going to drive them in the foreseeable future.

But, in Ontario Canada, we have reliable and cheap nuclear + hydro power. We have very cold winters. Nuclear power is awesome.

Reactions: Suns_PSD