Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck is more expensive to supercharge than a Ford F-150 costs in gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently watched a range test on YouTube where a Cybertruck was driven at 70mph at a steady state under decent weather conditions until it could not drive. The truck got around 254 miles of range and consumed around 500 wh/mile, approximately.

Here's what that would cost per 100 miles at current supercharger rates across the US:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
Cybertruck (500wh/mile)
$17.50/100 miles​
$20.00/100 miles​
$22.50/100 miles​

Here's what a Ford F-150 would cost per 100 miles at current gas prices across the US:
$2.50/gallon​
$3.50/gallon​
$4.50/gallon​
3.5L EcoBoost (24mpg)
$10.42/100 miles​
$14.58/100 miles​
$18.75/100 miles​
5.0L (18mpg)
$13.89/100 miles​
$19.44/100 miles​
$25.00/100 miles​

At these prices, the F-150 ends up being cheaper to drive under most conditions while also being quicker to fuel up and unrestricted by charging station locations. Here is a MPG equivalency chart at cost basis:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
$2.50/gallon
14 mpg
13 mpg
11 mpg
$3.50/gallon
20 mpg
18 mpg
16 mpg
$4.50/gallon
26 mpg
23 mpg
20 mpg

If comparing against the EcoBoost 3.5L, there's only one scenario where the Cybertruck comes out ahead (and just barely): $4.50/gallon gas and $0.35/kWh supercharger rates.

Now this is a very simplified analysis and doesn't take into account the following:
  • Purchase price and depreciation.
  • Home charging.
  • "Fun to drive" and acceleration.
  • Cold weather effects on charging and efficiency.
  • Maintenance costs and time lost to oil changes, etc...
  • The social costs to CO2 emissions and air pollution.
Otherwise, let me know if I am missing something obvious in the analysis above.

Last edited:
Did the Cybertruck have All Terran tires on it? Did the F-150 have All-Season tires? I bet if you put All-Season tires which have less rolling resistance the numbers would be a lot more equal.

Also, most charging is done at home, so you can divide the CT by 1/3 for real world costs.
It did have AT tires, the special made for CT, but still AT.

There aren't currently AS tires (from Tesla) for the CT.

Reactions: scottf200
In general, DC charging costs about the same or more than gas. That's not groundbreaking or new information. Then add to that the higher vehicle cost and longer fueling time. This is why an EV only makes since if you can charge at home, in your own driveway/garage or parking space, while you sleep. The amount of miles derived from DC charging should be a very small portion of your over-all miles. It makes zero sense to buy an EV if you cannot do so, which eliminates most apartment/condo dwellers.

In general, DC charging costs about the same or more than gas. That's not groundbreaking or new information. Then add to that the higher vehicle cost and longer fueling time. This is why an EV only makes since if you can charge at home, in your own driveway/garage or parking space, while you sleep. The amount of miles derived from DC charging should be a very small portion of your over-all miles. It makes zero sense to buy an EV if you cannot do so, which eliminates most apartment/condo dwellers.
I know there are a bunch who own BEVs and do not have a way to charge at "home", but I couldn't deal with that. The worst part of owning an EV, for me, is that vacation/ trip where your destination doesn't have a charger (like Disney resorts, Cruises, etc) or even a meeting/restaurant and you have to charge at a SC to ensure you have battery for sentry mode or to make local trips or to get to a charger once you are done.

I wouldn't have the patience to SC weekly just to go to work or out to eat.

I was considering the CT but after looking at what it will cost to charge, I thought it’s just a non starter.

We just got Solar but the CT would likely push me well into not having enough production to cover it.

CT gets about half the MPGe that my Model S does (EPA is 240 wh/mile my lifetime is 280 wh/mile and I often tow). Which barely saves on fuel costs. And has just enough range that I typically don’t have to supercharge.

We pay $0.32/kwh at home.

I came to the conclusion that the most efficient thing closest to a “Truck” (something that can tow) is the Model X. Which I might consider (again, I had a 2019 Raven) if it gets another major refresh (like 48V, Ethernet bus, 240V plug etc). Rivian and Lightning are just as bad as CT.

My biggest needs from a truck is towing and clearance (for snow and mud).

Reactions: RNHurt and maksimfa
Depending on the price of gas, EV charging only saves me 10% to 15% and I charge at home during off-peak. Agree, if you don’t have a home charger don’t buy an EV. I’ve never had the need to use a SC, I‘ve got down to single digits but made it home. I did try a SC once just to make sure it worked, all I’ll say is the Taco’s next door were good.

That's insane. We pay .05/kwh at home.
That’s insanely low. When was the last time you looked at the price, 1970?

I recently watched a range test on YouTube where a Cybertruck was driven at 70mph at a steady state under decent weather conditions until it could not drive. The truck got around 254 miles of range and consumed around 500 wh/mile, approximately.

Here's what that would cost per 100 miles at current supercharger rates across the US:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
Cybertruck (500wh/mile)
$17.50/100 miles​
$20.00/100 miles​
$22.50/100 miles​

Here's what a Ford F-150 would cost per 100 miles at current gas prices across the US:
$2.50/gallon​
$3.50/gallon​
$4.50/gallon​
3.5L EcoBoost (24mpg)
$10.42/100 miles​
$14.58/100 miles​
$18.75/100 miles​
5.0L (18mpg)
$13.89/100 miles​
$19.44/100 miles​
$25.00/100 miles​

At these prices, the F-150 ends up being cheaper to drive under most conditions while also being quicker to fuel up and unrestricted by charging station locations. Here is a MPG equivalency chart at cost basis:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
$2.50/gallon
14 mpg
13 mpg
11 mpg
$3.50/gallon
20 mpg
18 mpg
16 mpg
$4.50/gallon
26 mpg
23 mpg
20 mpg

If comparing against the EcoBoost 3.5L, there's only one scenario where the Cybertruck comes out ahead (and just barely): $4.50/gallon gas and $0.35/kWh supercharger rates.

Now this is a very simplified analysis and doesn't take into account the following:
  • Purchase price and depreciation.
  • Home charging.
  • "Fun to drive" and acceleration.
  • Cold weather effects on charging and efficiency.
  • Maintenance costs and time lost to oil changes, etc...
  • The social costs to CO2 emissions and air pollution.
Otherwise, let me know if I am missing something obvious in the analysis above.
And depending on the comparison car, the same thing happens to the cars. Not really news.
You win in other ways, charging at home, no oil changes.

And since I think that the average of road trips for families is a dismal 1, Then it really doesn't matter.

Everyone keeps naysaying EVs on the worst cases that happen rarely.

And if it the same as I remember, my calculations indicated around 400. But it easily could have been another video.
And if they had slowed down just 5 mph, that would have raised the range by 10%.

Depending on the price of gas, EV charging only saves me 10% to 15% and I charge at home during off-peak. Agree, if you don’t have a home charger don’t buy an EV. I’ve never had the need to use a SC, I‘ve got down to single digits but made it home. I did try a SC once just to make sure it worked, all I’ll say is the Taco’s next door were good.

That’s insanely low. When was the last time you looked at the price, 1970?
Last week.

Two years ago in California I was paying $0.12 per kWh with the EV-A plan during off-peak. Now it is $0.24 per kWh. No other better options right now, but it isn't that bad since I have net metering with solar. Still kicking myself for not putting up more panels before the changes in net metering.

$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
Cybertruck (500wh/mile)
$17.50/100 miles​
$20.00/100 miles​
$22.50/100 miles​

It seems some places are way cheaper, for example here in Oregon:

1704817607469.png

So, for most of the day here it only costs $5.00/100 miles even at a Supercharger.

$2.50/gallon​
$3.50/gallon​
$4.50/gallon​
3.5L EcoBoost (24mpg)
$10.42/100 miles​
$14.58/100 miles​
$18.75/100 miles​
5.0L (18mpg)
$13.89/100 miles​
$19.44/100 miles​
$25.00/100 miles​
Are those 18 and 24 MPG numbers actual tests at 70 MPH in cold weather? If not, your analysis is worthless.

Yes, of course.

Who would spend even one damn dime to leave a usable planet for future generations.

Where are your priorities?!?

Some people are just stupid I guess . . . the ONLY thing that matters is how much money is in your bank account when you kick the bucket.

Jeesh.

Best case for EVs is charging where electricity rates are low, because generation is done by Hydro.
Worst case is chargeing where electricity rates are high because generation is done by Coal or Oil burning.
Greedy high tax state usually make both electicity and fuel expensive.

• Funny
Reactions: Suns_PSD
Yes, of course.

Who would spend even one damn dime to leave a usable planet for future generations.

Where are your priorities?!?

Some people are just stupid I guess . . . the ONLY thing that matters is how much money is in your bank account when you kick the bucket.

Jeesh.
That is frankly pretty deluded thinking, typically associated with those living in small box, tightly surrounded by others in small boxes. Those of us that live in or spend a large amount of time in nature know that your car isn't the primary issue. It's the constant destruction of land and nature, to build more tiny concrete boxes. So yes, I do care about that a lot. Yet the same people who claim they want to preserve the planet, are also allowing millions to illegally pour across our border, which will require a high impact and destruction of natural resources. They're clearly not sincere. In terms of an EV, you also need to put on higher than average miles to account for the greater manufacturing impact, and the lifetime of the battery. I do, as I put on ~30k miles a year. If people claim they want to preserve nature, they need to walk the walk, and not just virtue signal BS.