Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simply just because it is technically possible does not mean that it is tolerable and not painful (length of time, queue, etc) for all those involved dealing with charging stops. Example below is Avg Charge Rate (kW) [ time at charging spots].
Imagine a long road trip in the Hyundai Ioniq 5 vs Hyundia Kona Electric.

Personally, I'm wondering how road trips in a Cybertruck will compare to a LR TMX or LR TMY since the wh/mi (miles per hour charging speed) will be very different.

state-of-recharge-infographic-1660825857.jpg
I’d imagine the trip in the Ioniq 5 would be fine. Some cars are purpose built really for commuting and maybe some trips that are a bit longer. So I don’t think anyone buys a Bolt or a Kona thinking it has more capability than it does. I’ve done extended trips in my Lightning and Taycan 4S with no issues. The ford has a big battery and took a bit longer to charge but it wasn’t intolerable in anyway. The Porsche charges well and is an amazing grand touring car. So yeah there’s some EVs you wouldn’t road trip.

Where is this graphic from? Seems if they put the Model 3 on there it would have more range in a shorter time, in between the Lucid and the Ionic, a sweet spot I totally appreciate being in.
I was quite surprised how much my road tripping was better even in my X 100D vs my X 90D. I'm sure part of it is more superchargers added over time too.

Sorry for not giving the source. I generally like to do that.

The same network that will eventually support CCS nationwide?

I couldn’t imagine owning an EV if I had to rely on charging away from home on a daily basis…..
So you couldn't imagine owning an ICE vehicle?

I know it isn't exactly the point you were making but I charge away from home, at work, on a daily basis, and it I have enjoyed it for the last 5 years.

Reactions: israndy
Two very crucial pieces of information are needed before most people would make a decision about getting a CT.
1. What is the price?
2. What is the range ?

2 extreme examples:
If the CT costs $40,000 with a range of 600 miles, most people holding reservations would buy it.
IF the CT costs $100,000 with a range of 200 miles, most people would not.
This means that most likely the CT will cost between $40,000 and $100,000 with a range of 200 to 600 miles.
Well done.

Two very crucial pieces of information are needed before most people would make a decision about getting a CT.
1. What is the price?
2. What is the range ?

2 extreme examples:
If the CT costs $40,000 with a range of 600 miles, most people holding reservations would buy it.
IF the CT costs $100,000 with a range of 200 miles, most people would not.
I'm expecting $100k for the top of the line model with 500 miles range. Just a WAG but that's what I'm preparing for mentally and in the bank account.

Reactions: CyberB
I'm expecting $100k for the top of the line model with 500 miles range. Just a WAG but that's what I'm preparing for mentally and in the bank account.
Using similar logic, the 350 mile range version will probably cost just under $80k US in order to capture the full FIRA tax credit. If there's a $40k US version, it probably will come standard without an HV battery pack. 😉

I've long thought that the "Plaid" CT would be expensive, but mostly because of the amount of batteries the CT would need to get 500 miles of range. Either they don't actually sell one with 500 miles or it has a 200 kwh (or more) battery and a price tag to show it.

Edit: This is also why some have postulated that unlike any other Tesla, the lower end models would be delivered first.

Last edited:
I've long thought that the "Plaid" CT would be expensive, but mostly because of the amount of batteries the CT would need to get 500 miles of range. Either they don't actually sell one with 500 miles or it has a 200 kwh (or more) battery and a price tag to show it.

Edit: This is also why some have postulated that unlike any other Tesla, the lower end models would be delivered first.
Wasn’t it Elon who held the hyped Battery Day claiming all these incredible advances on his beer can battery tech?

faster charging, more range, reduces costs etc, etc, etc….

how many have joined my in saying since 2019 that the delays of the CT where mostly due to the failed delivery of this new battery tech?

it’s the Middle of 2023… where are all these new awesome batteries?

now we have MY from Texas with the beer cans but are they better? No.

I expect more CT delays. Maybe another year or two. Will we ever get a 500 mile CT? Really doubt it. It’s a truck folks, it’s has to do truck things.

it’s the Middle of 2023… where are all these new awesome batteries?
Sorry, is there ANYONE that they are doing WORSE then? Someone else that's making these cheaper faster more powerful batteries? If you are complaining about something that hasn't been done before taking too long I must ask, what are you using as a yard stick? Like saying Starship is taking too long to be invented, FSD is taking too long to be perfected.

Too long compared to what?

Sorry, is there ANYONE that they are doing WORSE then? Someone else that's making these cheaper faster more powerful batteries? If you are complaining about something that hasn't been done before taking too long I must ask, what are you using as a yard stick? Like saying Starship is taking too long to be invented, FSD is taking too long to be perfected.

Happened to see this battery topic today. Regarding FSD ... take a look at the companies in China and their ADAS. No way my FSD Tesla could do most of those drives.

NIO launching its 150 kWh semi solid-state battery EVs with 600-mile range

Not complaining at all. My comment is where we are now, NO CT, and NO ROADSTER due to lack of the new batteries. It’s simple. Musk holds a battery day event, tells everybody about all the great stuff he has dreamed of, but in reality they haven’t been able to do it. Millions of pre-orders for the Ugly CT based on the released specs. In Reality, it seems they can’t get there.

No one will know for sure until they actually release the CT, right now it’s all speculation but I see the truck as way smaller, and way less in terms of specs, and if the range is reduced, I AM OUT.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Hello,

I never had a Tesla, but I had one EV and currently one PHEV. I have a deposit on the CyberTruck (late deposit)

Question 1: How many of you will or may transition to the CyberTruck when it's released?
Question 2: What are your expectations for the true final price of the 2-3 difference motor levels of the CT?

We have 2 Tesla's a 2021 SRP and a 2022 LR...probably ditching the 2021 SRP w/LFP and giving my wife the LR and driving the Cybertruck. YMMV

Has actual production started?
I understand stamping stainless panels has it’s own extensive learning curve.
.....snip....
stainless stamping has been done successfully - decades before Delorean ever thought of doing it. running the dunes near pismo beach in the early 1970's - some folks had stainless jeeps even back then. aluminum is no harder to form than stainless.

Hello,

I never had a Tesla, but I had one EV and currently one PHEV. I have a deposit on the CyberTruck (late deposit)

Question 1: How many of you will or may transition to the CyberTruck when it's released?
Question 2: What are your expectations for the true final price of the 2-3 difference motor levels of the CT?
I'm a day of reservation dual motor FSD holder and I have a tri motor FSD reservation before they raised FSD to 10k.

I probably will not go through with my order. For these reasons:
  • No stalks
  • Weird steering wheel
  • No 6th seat
  • Not affordable like promised
  • What I really want is a true SUV and it seems like the R1S fits that bill.