Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly my point….

The SC advantage is becoming mute at this point. You CAN road trip in any EV, it’s a matter of you being patient and planning, right? At least that’s what I heard when I was an early Model 3 adopter…. Or has the goal post moved to “faster”…..

Between EA, EVGO, CP and soon Tesla, there is no more advantage except Disney +
while this probably works in costal USA ... here in Texas I can think of still a dozen destinations I couldn't reach comfortably or without doing a detour if i couldn't use the SC network. heck... the direct route between DFW metroplex and Amarillo still has ZERO CCS fast chargers but soon 3 superchargers... I-20 east of DFW through Louisiana into Mississippi is a famous CCS charging desert etc... straight shot DFW metroplex into Fredericksburg/ Hill Country isn't doable with CCs either but Supercharger in Llano and soon as well in Hamilton make it easy...

I have to take exception to your favorable view of the non-Tesla charging networks, at least for NA. We do 5 to 6 medium to long range road trips each year in our MY, that cover both the US and Canada. We have the CCS adapter and from time to time I've stopped to use one of those non-Tesla level 3 charging sites. The chargers are invariably either broken, do not work properly or reject credit and charger-specific cards. It's difficult to discern whether those chargers are abused or they are poorly maintained. I would hesitate to recommend a US BEV with CCS for long road trips.

I’d hesitate to recommend any EV for road trips to be honest.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
I’d hesitate to recommend any EV for road trips to be honest.

I have to disagree with you. We've been driving around our old model S for years. Have gone all over the us. I actually greatly enjoy the trips over that I used to do with ice vehicles. And we have to charge for pretty long stints, what with our old battery and Tesla's degrading of the charging speed. I still greatly prefer it. Would much prefer a new tesla! But, income will have to change a little to pull that off.

Why is that? I go on family road trips in my Model Y all the time. It’s been great.
yup. same here. Even something long and remote like DFW metroplex to Taos / New Mexico... easy.
unless you don't stop for lunch or ever pee ... the route takes maybe ~1hr extra in an EV vs. ICE and you are more rested. Super excited for the new V3s in Quanah and Amarillo so the entire route is now doable with using V3s only.

Why is that? I go on family road trips in my Model Y all the time. It’s been great.

Let me rephrase that. For some of us who don’t want to wait around charging on a road trip I recommend an ICE vehicle, and that is a large portion of the population.

Again everyone’s “road trip” is totally different, I still stand that not everyone needs a Tesla SC and after 3 years of ownership I’ve used it maybe 5 times?

Let me rephrase that. For some of us who don’t want to wait around charging on a road trip I recommend an ICE vehicle, and that is a large portion of the population.

Again everyone’s “road trip” is totally different, I still stand that not everyone needs a Tesla SC and after 3 years of ownership I’ve used it maybe 5 times?

I have never had to wait around. If I do it’s 5 minutes max. I start with a full charge so save time by not having to hit up the gas station. Then I plug in (takes 3seconds) when I stop to use the bathroom or get a bite to eat. When I get back it’s usually done charging or max a few minutes left.

I agree though. Would not recommended non teslas for road trips. No way would the trip be as simple and enjoyable.

I have never had to wait around. If I do it’s 5 minutes max. I start with a full charge so save time by not having to hit up the gas station. Then I plug in (takes 3seconds) when I stop to use the bathroom or get a bite to eat. When I get back it’s usually done charging or max a few minutes left.

I agree though. Would not recommended non teslas for road trips. No way would the trip be as simple and enjoyable.
100% agreed.

if you start with 100% charge from home I can drive the first 200+ miles without any stop ... meaning on a trip of 300-400 miles I can get away with just *one stop* for maybe ~20 minutes... assuming you need to do one pee break for a 5hr drive anyway ... that results in 10 minutes more than you'd pause with an ICE car. big deal. if you combine the charging spot with breakfast/lunch/dinner ... you lost no time.

100% agreed.

if you start with 100% charge from home I can drive the first 200+ miles without any stop ... meaning on a trip of 300-400 miles I can get away with just *one stop* for maybe ~20 minutes... assuming you need to do one pee break for a 5hr drive anyway ... that results in 10 minutes more than you'd pause with an ICE car. big deal. if you combine the charging spot with breakfast/lunch/dinner ... you lost no time.

An ICE gets you to your 400 mile destination in 5 hrs, no need to stop.

It would be nice if EV owners would stop making up stories about how charging doesn’t take any longer than refueling, let’s just get back to reality. Charging takes longer than 30 min. You say eat and stretch, pee whatever else. You’re looking at a 1 hours stop easily and that’s if you aren’t sharing your charger with someone else or if you aren’t waiting on someone to finish their charging or get back to their Tesla from their meal break.

It might not be the case in your area but here on the West Coast it is common to wait in line to charge especially during holiday season.

Oh and before the Costco pictures show up, yes, ICE does have several options to fuel up without waiting in line.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
When I was younger, I was stupid enough to drive over 300 miles nonstop. 400 miles ... hmm just try it and report back how you enjoyed it. Also, I call it B.S. to drive 400 miles in 5 hours. You need to try to go basically 90-100 mph to average 80 mph over 400 miles.

It would be nice if EV owners would stop making up stories about how charging doesn’t take any longer than refueling, let’s just get back to reality. Charging takes longer than 30 min. You say eat and stretch, pee whatever else. You’re looking at a 1 hours stop easily and that’s if you aren’t sharing your charger with someone else or if you aren’t waiting on someone to finish their charging or get back to their Tesla from their meal break.

It might not be the case in your area but here on the West Coast it is common to wait in line to charge especially during holiday season.

Oh and before the Costco pictures show up, yes, ICE does have several options to fuel up without waiting in line.
most ICE doing 80 mph (!) straight for 5 hrs aren't going 400 miles without refueling... just sayin' ... maybe with an extended tank

that being said - I would find it extremely unpleasant to sit in my vehicle for 5 hours while gunning down in the left lane at 80 mph without ever being allowed to stop at least once to pee or stretch my legs...

You would need to stop to fill up at the start of your trip. Gas car doesn’t magically fill up while you sleep. Same for the return home. If there is a destination charger you are waking up with 100% charge. Gas car you would have to stop again to fill up.

so right off the bat you are saving time each way. And 5 hrs without stopping for a bathroom break? I’m stopping anyways on a 5hr trip to use the bathroom and stretch out a bit, so charging while I pee doesn’t waste anytime for me.

I've done dozens of x-country and half-x-country Tesla road trips in my 2014 P85D (now P100DL)... and I would NEVER go back to an ICE car for road trips. There's much more to the journey than getting from A to B as fast as humanly possible.

In the old ICE days, it used to be 'rush rush rush..stop..pee..fuel..back in the car ASAP...rush...rush..eat...rush' and repeat until you get to your destination, completely exhausted and no time for anything but sleep to get up the next day and start over again.

Now with Tesla road trips, they are much more relaxed, and you can get to your destination with plenty of energy to do whatever you want. You might not cover as many miles per day, but you can also stop and see look around and relax while charging/eating/peeing, etc. And the ONLY times I've charged for more than 30 minutes is when I'm stopping to eat or (rarely) charging more than 90%.

But if your mind is stuck in outdated paradigms, you're never going to understand this.

I've done dozens of x-country and half-x-country Tesla road trips in my 2014 P85D (now P100DL)... and I would NEVER go back to an ICE car for road trips. There's much more to the journey than getting from A to B as fast as humanly possible.

In the old ICE days, it used to be 'rush rush rush..stop..pee..fuel..back in the car ASAP...rush...rush..eat...rush' and repeat until you get to your destination, completely exhausted and no time for anything but sleep to get up the next day and start over again.

Now with Tesla road trips, they are much more relaxed, and you can get to your destination with plenty of energy to do whatever you want. You might not cover as many miles per day, but you can also stop and see look around and relax while charging/eating/peeing, etc. And the ONLY times I've charged for more than 30 minutes is when I'm stopping to eat or (rarely) charging more than 90%.

But if your mind is stuck in outdated paradigms, you're never going to understand this.
My experience also. I've done about 10 multi- thousand mile road trips in my S85D and now S LR. The most comfortable way to travel.

Its true… an ICE doesn’t magically refill itself over night….. but you can fill it up the night before you leave. The “wake up” to a “full tank” is hilarious. A 5 min stop before you get home and you’re set.

But I like that we all agree that charging and waiting is not a big deal.

In conclusion, the SC network ashould not play a big factor on your EV choice. It should be considered but not necessary. Like I said, CCS networks are getting better by the day. Circle K has received great reviews and ChargePoint IMO will overtake EA soon. The SC network will slowly open up to all CCS.

Last edited: