Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

How Actually Purchasing Your Model S Will Work and FACTORY DELIVERY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I interviewed the Model S/X Product Manager, I asked how the U.S. purchase of our Model S will work. Here I'll paraphrase what he said before I get a chance to post video of my impromptu interview:
  1. When contacted to finalize, you'll have the one-time option to delay your model S delivery date.
  2. If you decide not to delay, you will lock-in your Model S or Model S Signature or Performance variant configuration (battery, paint, interior, options, etc.)
  3. Sign a purchase contract (I didn't ask if this will be wet signature or e-signed online), with an expected delivery date.
  4. After #3, your $5K or $40K changes from a refundable reservation payment to a non-refundable deposit towards the purchase price of your Model S.
Also, FACTORY DELIVERY WILL BE AVAILABLE from Day One for California residents (he said locals) who request it!! They are also working on a "Silicon Valley Delivery Program" for U.S., European and Asian customers. He said the Germans have their Black Forest Rally, but we have the Pacific Coast highway, the redwood trees, wine country, etc. It will be a great experience, especially for customers who have never visited California to come pick-up their new Model S here, vacation for a few weeks in their new Tesla BEV, then drop it off for shipment to them back home.

They will also be making a major fast-charging network announcement "sometime this summer". They have been using real-world feedback from Roadster owners to help figure out where to place the charging stations.

More later... back to S.R. now...

Glad to hear there will be factory delivery (I've been asking for that!).

1-4 are aligned with what Tesla has been saying, always good to see things stay consistent. The Silicon Valley Delivery Program will be a stretch, considering all the CA paperwork, but a nice idea. I hope they can pull it off.

and sorry, I have to admit I just can't get past 'TSLA SX' translating to 'TESLA SUCKS'. Surely I'm not the only one ...

(sorry)

No worries! I figure I can use the plate on an "S" or an "X". Today wife said if both cars were available right now, she would definitely just buy the "X". Doesn't need to 7 seats and large size, but likes a higher driving position and feels safer in an even-larger vehicle. (But she is OK with getting the S this year since X is just prototype right now.)

As posted previously, other brands have car model names that end in "SX", so I'm not concerned. People might think that is the (future?) 4x4 version of the Model S.

"S TSLA X" (with two half spaces that CA DMV allows) could have been better. I'm sure I'll spot Russ's doesn't-suck-at-all S with these plates on the road in my neck of the woods :)

Okay, factory delivery is good. Any news on the destination charge? Particularly for locals?

I see Tesla Sex.

And I'm not apologizing for it.

Thanks vfx, that is the only coded meaning I originally thought of! Brilliant minds think alike, no?

(Didn't mention it before because I didn't want Rick Santorum criticizing me.)

I'm a Tesla Model S fanboy, so would never see it as meaning "SUX", but I do think it is a SeXy-looking car!

It could also mean S Xtra performance since that's the version I'm buying. It will be Pearl White (SO's favorite since it is "the most snow white of the two whites") with (likely) black leather and carbon fiber accents, glass pano roof, 21" perf wheels & tires because they won't credit back for 19" ones. Options will be: tech package, sound studio and parcel shelf, and the included active air suspension. I see driving it for 10 years, so capital expense only $10K / year - $3K gas savings / year = ~ $7K / year. It will be our business vehicle so will qualify for favorable tax treatment, too. Since it can do 0-60 in ~4.4 secs, I won't need to buy a seperate sports car for "spirited driving with a radar detector" like my old CLK 550 Cabriolet.

...... They are also working on a "Silicon Valley Delivery Program" for U.S., European and Asian customers. He said the Germans have their Black Forest Rally, but we have the Pacific Coast highway, the redwood trees, wine country, etc. It will be a great experience, especially for customers who have never visited California to come pick-up their new Model S here, vacation for a few weeks in their new Tesla BEV, then drop it off for shipment to them back home....

Awesome! It would be great to see the factory, then tour the bay area in your new Model S.

If the charging network is good enough, it may be worth a several thousand mile drive home, instead of shipping. See the country, instead of flying over it.

GSP

...They are also working on a "Silicon Valley Delivery Program" for U.S., European and Asian customers. He said the Germans have their Black Forest Rally, but we have the Pacific Coast highway, the redwood trees, wine country, etc. It will be a great experience, especially for customers who have never visited California to come pick-up their new Model S here, vacation for a few weeks in their new Tesla BEV, then drop it off for shipment to them back home....

I will take this opportunity to visit the factory and Ex-Governator-Land ... I've never got more western then Dallas-FW ...
Maybe someone else from Europe will join the tour.