Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Actually Purchasing Your Model S Will Work and FACTORY DELIVERY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they can work it out so people from other states or countries can take delivery at the factory. That would be a huge bonus for our state and tourism!
Unless they get an exemption to CA' s sales tax, they won't get anyone from a lower tax state taking delivery in Fremont. Email your state representative(s) though if you live near Fremont, try to get them to pass some sort of exemption. I'd love to pick up my Tesla at the factory and spend money as I worked my way back to Oregon, but it's not going to happen as it stands now due to the CA sales tax.

Unless they get an exemption to CA' s sales tax, they won't get anyone from a lower tax state taking delivery in Fremont. Email your state representative(s) though if you live near Fremont, try to get them to pass some sort of exemption. I'd love to pick up my Tesla at the factory and spend money as I worked my way back to Oregon, but it's not going to happen as it stands now due to the CA sales tax.

second that!

Tax and registration are for your place of residence, not where you buy the car. You can buy in CA, and if you live in OR, you just pay registration. If you live in TX, you pay TX tax and license fees. If I buy a car in OR, no tax, and bring it to CA, I pay CA taxes (based on what county I reside in), and CA license fees. The dealer or factory do not charge tax per se, only as a convenience do they collect them for the state.

Tax and registration are for your place of residence, not where you buy the car. You can buy in CA, and if you live in OR, you just pay registration. If you live in TX, you pay TX tax and license fees. If I buy a car in OR, no tax, and bring it to CA, I pay CA taxes (based on what county I reside in), and CA license fees. The dealer or factory do not charge tax per se, only as a convenience do they collect them for the state.

CA charges sales tax for any car where physical delivery takes place in CA. I've researched it quite heavily and gone so far as to email the appropriate CA tax organization and gotten confirmation of that fact.

That is true in most states, but I hear that in California, unless the car is shipped out of state by a transporter, you will have to pay CA tax as well as your own state's tax.

I'm sure they could figure out a way around that by some sort of "pseudo-rental" of the car, rather than "taking delivery". Or get Gov. Brown to help them out with special permits (he seems friendly to the company). Not charging the out-of-staters sales tax and let them drive around and spend money on tourism seems like a fair deal. Without an arrangement, Tesla would just ship the car to buyer's state and CA got no bonus value from the sale.

But for European customers it could be tricky because homologation. Would a euro specced car be street legal in the US?

Californians can lobby their own legislators for an exemption for out of state buyesr and those of us out of state that would like to pick up in California and spend money there (but not tax money) might get the most traction from lobbying California tourist organizations. I haven't researched it yet so I don't know what they are but they would quickly see the value to their constituents and probably already have major lobbying efforts.

Can someone who knows the background on the apparently unique CA taxation issue speak to it?

More specifically, in what way does it actually help California rather than hurt it (lost tourism, etc.)?

Californians can lobby their own legislators for an exemption for out of state buyesr and those of us out of state that would like to pick up in California and spend money there (but not tax money) might get the most traction from lobbying California tourist organizations. I haven't researched it yet so I don't know what they are but they would quickly see the value to their constituents and probably already have major lobbying efforts.

Well you would be spending tax money... sales tax money on hotels, restaurants, etc., plus helping local businesses in a tough economy. How's that for an incentive for Sacramento to make a provision for a factory pick-up + tourism + return car to factory for delivery to destination state?

You'd have to come up with numbers showing that almost every one of the buyers who want to pick the car up at the factory would not come unless there was provision made to exempt the car from California sales tax. Otherwise it's "a few hundred dollars worth of taxable sales" vs. "tax on an $80,000 car".

You'd have to come up with numbers showing that almost every one of the buyers who want to pick the car up at the factory would not come unless there was provision made to exempt the car from California sales tax. Otherwise it's "a few hundred dollars worth of taxable sales" vs. "tax on an $80,000 car".

I suppose we could make a poll...
"Would you like to come and pick up your car in California and do some joy-driving before delivery?" Yes/no
"If yes, still interested even if you have to shell out about $7000 in California sales tax that you wouldn't have to pay otherwise?" Yes/hell-no

I'm not psychic, but I have a hunch the yeses will crowd around option 1... :smile: