Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make the app work and enable supercharging on clean title 2014 model s without registering it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I get the app and supercharging working on a clean title 2014 model s 85 without registration. I have the title and bill of sale but havent been able to register the car since im waiting on an updated bill of sale with my business name on it to register it. I really need supercharger access but for whatever reason tesla never sent the email to let me add it to my account even though i watched the previous owner remove the car from his account in front of me and type in my email to transfer it to me. I am still in contact with the previous owner but he says the car is completely gone from his app and theres nothing he can do. I have no way to contact tesla support in the app since the car is not there all i get access to is endless faq pages🙄. I dont even care about the app controls right now i just need to be able to supercharge tomorrow for a long distance job where waiting 6 hours at a free charging station just wont cut it. Im currently stuck with 120v charging at home and it wont charge up enough. I tried doing the manual verification thing in the app with just the bill of sale along with my id and the previous owners id but naturally they rejected that and said they need a copy of a registration...

How do I get the app and supercharging working on a clean title 2014 model s 85 without registration. I have the title and bill of sale but havent been able to register the car since im waiting on an updated bill of sale with my business name on it to register it. I really need supercharger access but for whatever reason tesla never sent the email to let me add it to my account even though i watched the previous owner remove the car from his account in front of me and type in my email to transfer it to me. I am still in contact with the previous owner but he says the car is completely gone from his app and theres nothing he can do. I have no way to contact tesla support in the app since the car is not there all i get access to is endless faq pages🙄. I dont even care about the app controls right now i just need to be able to supercharge tomorrow for a long distance job where waiting 6 hours at a free charging station just wont cut it. Im currently stuck with 120v charging at home and it wont charge up enough. I tried doing the manual verification thing in the app with just the bill of sale along with my id and the previous owners id but naturally they rejected that and said they need a copy of a registration...
They need the ownership proof which is either Title or Registration but you have not done the registration at a DMV just yet.

I don't know what you want from Tesla? Tell them to trust you without the DMV proof?

Reactions: Septocaine
either email was typed wrong or it went into spam... it should've been instant...

I've heard ppl successfully adding to app with just a bill of sale (very common for salvage cars) so it should work...
I will be trying it soon as i have a car that i'm fixing n not ready for DMV yet... will post back here...

Confirmed, just bill of sale worked for me.
Its a salvage MS, title has Insurance company name, transferred to dealer i used (back of title)
Dealer wrote me BOS, this is what i submitted in app
This wasn't instant like my previous Tesla with registration (took 5min), this time it was 2 days..
So my guess is official docs might be automated (unless i got extremely lucky n someone approved in 5min) but BOS get reviewed by actual humans...

If the automated process from the prior owner didn't work, like they typed your email address wrong, the only option is to use the app. (Which requires documents, but it says that the bill of sale is acceptable, but probably only if it has the VIN on it.)

There are instructions on the Tesla site: https://www.tesla.com/support/how-add-or-remove-vehicles-tesla-app

Adding a Vehicle in the Tesla App

The process of adding a vehicle in the Tesla app depends on how you purchased your vehicle.
If you purchased your vehicle through Tesla, the vehicle will be automatically added in the Tesla app.
If you did not purchase your vehicle through Tesla, consider asking the previous owner to transfer the vehicle to you directly through the Tesla app.
If you purchased your vehicle through a third party, you will need to claim ownership of the vehicle. To claim ownership of a vehicle, make sure you have access to Wi-Fi and the vehicle, then follow these steps:
  1. Open the Tesla app.
  2. Tap the profile icon in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap ‘Add/Remove Products.’
  4. Under ‘Add,’ tap ‘Vehicle.’
  5. Follow the prompts.
You will be asked to enter your vehicle identification number (VIN), upload documents, and submit owner information to claim ownership. Once you’ve finished your request, it can take three to five days for the vehicle to be added to your app.
Note: To access this feature in the Tesla app, make sure you have the latest version of the Tesla app.

There was a period of time where I think you could put a credit card in on the screen to pay for a one-time Supercharging session, but I think that got removed.

Edit: You might be able to Supercharge at MagicDock sites using the "Charge a non-Tesla" section of the app, assuming there are any of those on your route. But I'm not sure if that would work or not.

Last edited: