Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Actually Purchasing Your Model S Will Work and FACTORY DELIVERY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will factory delivery waive/eliminate the destination charges that are tacked on to the sticker price?
I don't think so. I seem to recall hearing this asked and the answer was no. Seems a shame it's not at least reduced since they're not shipping, but I can see charging some regardless due to the time it takes for them to show you the car, do paperwork, etc, that happens regardless of destination.

I don't think so. I seem to recall hearing this asked and the answer was no. Seems a shame it's not at least reduced since they're not shipping, but I can see charging some regardless due to the time it takes for them to show you the car, do paperwork, etc, that happens regardless of destination.

That would be a pity if they couldn't waive the destination charges. However, any additional time for someone to explain the car be it an hour, two or three hours for the 70-100K spent, should be included in their cost of sales. In all honesty it shouldn't take that long since it's mostly just using the touchscreen and how to the use the various cables to charge.

From my past vehicle purchases the destination charge was usually explained as delivery charges and a recheck once they received the car. As any number of incidents could happen between the factory and when the vehicle arrives at the dealer for another inspection and detailing. But right off the factory QA process there shouldn't even need to have another quality check and detailing, thus saving Tesla even more $$.

Otherwise if I'm still paying destination charges, then I'll forego factory pickup and have them deliver to my driveway. Saves me the airfare and my time driving back to the OC.

Confirmed with Kyrstin Munson (the Tesla rep from this Roadster video), who was at Santana Row today, that the destination charge will be the same for everyone across the United States (and more for overseas buyers) whether you take factory delivery, store delivery or at-home delivery.

As I mentioned in the past, it's been this way for all car manufacturers for sometime: Vehicle Destination Charges - New Car Business Destination Fees - Kelley Blue Book

That makes sense. Otherwise they'd have to change some people $3,000 or so who live far away and others would pick it up for free. This way they spread the cost out among everyone. Sucks for the people picking it up locally. Wish they could get some sort of deal.

That makes sense. Otherwise they'd have to change some people $3,000 or so who live far away and others would pick it up for free. This way they spread the cost out among everyone. Sucks for the people picking it up locally. Wish they could get some sort of deal.

I can see it that there needs to be a delivery charge for the handling, but they could give a nominal discount for factory delivery, where the car would never get close to a transport truck. On the other hand, then the Bay area stores might never get to deliver a single car...

Maybe us locals will take factory delivery simply as a good conscience choice to reduce truck traffic ever so slightly (and for the fun of visiting the birthplace).

Maybe us locals will take factory delivery simply as a good conscience choice to reduce truck traffic ever so slightly (and for the fun of visiting the birthplace).

Speaking of going to the factory, the Tesla Santana Row store rep who was standing by the white beta yesterday said that test drives are definitely coming in May-ish and will be offered at the factory! We would be allowed to take the car out on the banked track there apparently!

Can someone who knows the background on the apparently unique CA taxation issue speak to it?

More specifically, in what way does it actually help California rather than hurt it (lost tourism, etc.)?

Lot's of wealthy Californians own second homes in Nevada or Oregon. Because of California's high taxes - both Sales and Income - California is always wary that people will be tempted to illegally avoid taxes. In this case, I think that the concern is that people will title the car to a residence in Nevada or Oregon but never take the car out of the Bay area or the LA basin. If you are going to try to avoid California taxes, they at least want to burden you with the inconvenience of not having a local dealer to buy from.

Lot's of wealthy Californians own second homes in Nevada or Oregon. Because of California's high taxes - both Sales and Income - California is always wary that people will be tempted to illegally avoid taxes. In this case, I think that the concern is that people will title the car to a residence in Nevada or Oregon but never take the car out of the Bay area or the LA basin. If you are going to try to avoid California taxes, they at least want to burden you with the inconvenience of not having a local dealer to buy from.
Thanks for the info, Andrew.

So "wary that people [CA 'citizens'] will be tempted to illegally avoid taxes" leads to taxation policy that is problematic for citizens of 49 other states. Sounds like the wrong answer to a math problem to me.

You are absolutely correct, but California is being short sided IMHO. If they made their tax rates reasonable people would not be tempted to go to other states to LEGALLY register their vehicles in another state. California will tell you that you must register the vehicle in the state where it is primarily garaged. California is trying to get tough with this. My son got a ticket last december while home for christmas from Oregon and parked in a parking lot. It was dismissed but it was a hastle.

I posted previously that California should allow a temporary 30 day registration to allow people who desire to drive their vehicles home. Current policy does not allow this. If California collected say $75 for a temporary registration, it would be income that they do not have now, and Tesla buyers would come to the state and spend $$. It is a win win for everyone except the car transporters. I have written my state represenative regarding this and will write again this week.

I posted previously that California should allow a temporary 30 day registration to allow people who desire to drive their vehicles home. Current policy does not allow this. If California collected say $75 for a temporary registration, it would be income that they do not have now, and Tesla buyers would come to the state and spend $$. It is a win win for everyone except the car transporters. I have written my state represenative regarding this and will write again this week.

Bingo! +1 and then some... And car transporters could still get a win, if the customer is from the mid-west or east coast and just wants to come out and joy-ride for a bit and then fly home.

Speaking of going to the factory, the Tesla Santana Row store rep who was standing by the white beta yesterday said that test drives are definitely coming in May-ish and will be offered at the factory! We would be allowed to take the car out on the banked track there apparently!
It's possible they have to do this as the cars may not be homologated in time so we can only drive them on private property. But this is great news. My wife has said she'd be happy to just drive it around an empty parking lot as long as she got to drive it before we signed on the dotted line.

It's possible they have to do this as the cars may not be homologated in time so we can only drive them on private property. But this is great news. My wife has said she'd be happy to just drive it around an empty parking lot as long as she got to drive it before we signed on the dotted line.

Or perhaps they will let you drive around the bay area with their MFG plates!