Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD V12 Elon Demo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So they scrapped all the work they’ve done with previous versions and starting over with AI trained models in V12?

And the models don’t work between HW3 and HW4 because photons are different? Makes me think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Photons hitting the camera can’t be different in the same environment. The different cameras can capture different quality and different details so the resulting pixels might be different.

But the computer AI should ideally still be able to work on the different video source and actually work better since HW4 cameras provide better input source quality, no? He’s basically saying the computer can tell this object is a car with a potato webcam quality image but isn’t able to tell it’s a car from an HD image?

And the models don’t work between HW3 and HW4 because photons are different? Makes me think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
He knows more of what he’s talking about than you 😉 Tesla’s software works from the raw photons received by the camera because this yields greater dynamic range and ability to handle bright/dark conditions. The FSD software never looks at anything that has been processed in to a pixel.

He knows more of what he’s talking about than you 😉 Tesla’s software works from the raw photons received by the camera because this yields greater dynamic range and ability to handle bright/dark conditions. The FSD software never looks at anything that has been processed in to a pixel.
So why wouldn’t the same model work with HW4 if HW4 provides better source quality?

No. If that was true his voice would've been much louder than Elon's.
So are we still talking about your first Fact that WholeMars was in the car or a new one. So because the passenger wasn’t loud it must also be a confirmed fact. So feels like many are really reaching to find a conspiracy or argue point. Maybe this was a moon landing type video!

I only watched a few seconds because it was unbearable with the quality and buffering but I don’t think it showed any major breakthrough in capability vs current V11?

I did notice one big new capability. In the livestream, V12 automatically pulled over and parked when it reached the destination. V11 does not do that. So that is new.

As usually, the drive was uneventful with little traffic. I dare him to drive it in downtown SF or even better Los Angeles or Manhattan. Proved nothing
Not totally uneventful. They did encounter one unprotected left with considerable traffic probably traveling around 50 mph (“high speed” according to Musk) — and the car as usual was scared to death. Also freaked out near pedestrians.

FSD Beta has been most pathetic at beginning and ending trips. Maybe we see at least some progress on trip endpoint but I’d need to see a lot more before getting too excited about the car stopping in the middle of the parking lot.

All in all, not much to see.

Not totally uneventful. They did encounter one unprotected left with considerable traffic probably traveling around 50 mph (“high speed” according to Musk) — and the car as usual was scared to death. Also freaked out near pedestrians.

FSD Beta has been most pathetic at beginning and ending trips. Maybe we see at least some progress on trip endpoint but I’d need to see a lot more before getting too excited about the car stopping in the middle of the parking lot.

All in all, not much to see.
I got one of those on 11.4.4. Except I was NOT in the turn lane

So are we still talking about your first Fact that WholeMars was in the car or a new one. So because the passenger wasn’t loud it must also be a confirmed fact. So feels like many are really reaching to find a conspiracy or argue point. Maybe this was a moon landing type video!
First I've heard anyone mention Omar and now conspiracies too! Any more red herrings you want to add to distract from your mistake?

Otherwise, back on topic.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
As usually, the drive was uneventful with little traffic. I dare him to drive it in downtown SF or even better Los Angeles or Manhattan. Proved nothing
If he did, people would just accuse Tesla of overfitting to wherever it drove.

From what little I watched before getting nauseous from the poor video quality (a suction cup mount for the phone would have gone a long way) it was impressive that the car was able to control the car reasonably well. It's obviously a work in progress so should be expected to be deficient in many areas. But, assuming that it has replaced all the hand coded driving code with NNs, it's very promising. And if, indeed, Tesla trained it as described, by simply providing the NNs with example driving videos, it should make expansion of FSD to the rest of the world much easier than having to hard code separate driving policies for each country.

However, the first 90% of the job takes 10% of the total effort. The last 10% requires the remaining 90%. So, a long way yet to go with many challenges remaining.

Another question is it looked like Elon was the one using the phone. I know in GA it is illegal to use a cell phone while driving. Is using a phone and driving OK in CA? Or was WholeMars holding it and leaning over into Elon's lap?
His passenger was none other than Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot at Tesla.

So why wouldn’t the same model work with HW4 if HW4 provides better source quality?
HW4 was not demonstrated because the input to the neural network (video) is different. As such, it requires retraining on data from the HW4 system.

AI requires lots of data. Lots and lots and lots and lots of data.

They don't yet have enough of this data for HW4 cars--and they haven't done the NN training on HW4 yet.

Try post #32 which is what I replied to.
That was me and I had mistakenly read somewhere it was WholeMars. I don't give a rats ass who the passenger was. My question was did Elon illegally use his phone while driving. That is NOT a conspiracy theory question but a simple legal question.

For reference I'm a runner in a large city and have been hit twice by inattentive drivers using their cell phones . Luckily both were minor although on one I did roll across the top of the hood and fell in the street (thank goodness it wasn't a "front over" vehicle) so I have NO sympathy for people illegally driving while using their cell phones [PERIOD].

That was me and I had mistakenly read somewhere it was WholeMars. I don't give a rats ass who the passenger was. My question was did Elon illegally use his phone while driving. That is NOT a conspiracy theory question but a simple legal question.

For reference I'm a running in a large city and have been hit twice by inattentive drivers using their cell phones . Luckily both were minion thought on one I did roll across the top of the hood and fell in the street (thank goodness it wasn't a "front over" vehicle) so I have NO sympathy for people illegally driving while using their cell phones [PERIOD].
I actually agree fully with that having had similar examples on a motorcycle. All good

He wasn't recording it, he was live streaming it.

The video quality is very likely whatever the cellular upload connection was capable of.

And he explained why he was flipping the phone to portrait - he was checking the live comments for questions that he could answer on the fly.

I very much appreciated the video - quite a few questions were answered.
Can someone transcribe the Qs and As?