Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD v12 automatic speed setting works pretty well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it interesting that if you scroll the wheel with auto off set on the arrows by the speed limit show, up or down depending on how you are scrolling but it doesn't seem to do anything,

I think that if you scroll down it should take that advise and slow maybe 3mph/5kpm increments, same for increase. I know it's "Auto" but it is still learning so it should take our tips into consideration :)

Reactions: Dracaris
Regardless, I experienced what I experienced with this setting, and given its behavior is a guaranteed speeding ticket in my neighborhood, there's no way I'm going to use it. Wait and see, somewhere the press will eventually report that, given the chance, Tesla FSD v12 deliberately exceeds posted speed limits and there will be huge ugly press fallout. ;)

Reactions: zoomer0056
When you turn off Auto Speed control you can set your max but the car doesn't go straight up to that max.

Like the previous poster, I also find the Auto setting gives me a more appropriate speed to the conditions on City driving...
Interesting - I have never observed this with 12.3.3.

It’s literally been indistinguishable for me. The reason to switch back to manual is always driven for me by incorrect speed limit identification. It is just easier for me to scroll the cap speed.

Meanwhile in 12.3.3 all the other behavior is the same. As long as capping is not in effect.

the MAX is set by whatever the car sees from speed signage
50% over detected
will NOT allow increasing that speed above the MAX that the car has set.
Yeah it definitely allows adjustments up or down but you cannot see them and also have never seen them have an effect in 12.3.3. You can see the change you made by switching to manual mode.

These days I spend more than half of my time with my foot on the accelerator pedal, or when not pressing on the accelerator pedal, I'm covering it instead of the brake pedal because it's just too slow 97% of the time and constantly needs prompting to speed up. My car is going to download 2024.3.10 today and I'm hoping there's an improvement in that update somewhere.

-Paul

Reactions: tivoboy
50% over detected

Yeah it definitely allows adjustments up or down but you cannot see them and also have never seen them have an effect in 12.3.3. You can see the change you made by switching to manual mode.
That’s odd, as I drive a street here daily and it says 35, and I cannot get it to go ANY higher than 35, in the display it says “MAX” and when I try to scroll HIGHER, the MAX pulses, in what I thought meant “hey, IM at MAX”. Is there some other setting I have off or something that I can do to get it above MAX OTHER than accelerator?

That’s odd, as I drive a street here daily and it says 35, and I cannot get it to go ANY higher than 35, in the display it says “MAX” and when I try to scroll HIGHER, the MAX pulses, in what I thought meant “hey, IM at MAX”. Is there some other setting I have off or something that I can do to get it above MAX OTHER than accelerator?
Yes the set speed is hidden and is by default 50% over the limit; you can see this by switching on the fly to manual mode.

In most cases this cap does not get reached of course. The cap speed doesn’t seem to have any appreciable effect on speeds below that cap.

It says "MAX" to let you know that part of the display is showing you the maximum speed that the car will go. When Auto Set Speed Offset (ASSO) is on, the word "Auto" will appear above "MAX" to let you know that the car is dynamically selecting that maximum. When ASSO is off, the speed that you have selected is displayed.

The car is always hunting for the ideal speed in the current conditions, and that ideal speed is quite often below the posted speed limit. It's just a matter of whether you set the upper limit of the speed hunting or if the car does.

It says "MAX" to let you know that part of the display is showing you the maximum speed that the car will go. When Auto Set Speed Offset (ASSO) is on, the word "Auto" will appear above "MAX" to let you know that the car is dynamically selecting that maximum. When ASSO is off, the speed that you have selected is displayed.

The car is always hunting for the ideal speed in the current conditions, and that ideal speed is quite often below the posted speed limit. It's just a matter of whether you set the upper limit of the speed hunting or if the car does.
Indeed, but moving the scroll wheel when in that mode, nothing happens to speed and the MAX just increases in size and then shrinks back and forth. But no speed changes. At least not speed INCREASES.

Indeed, but moving the scroll wheel when in that mode, nothing happens to speed and the MAX just increases in size and then shrinks back and forth. But no speed changes. At least not speed INCREASES.
Right, because FSD is already driving at the speed that it deems appropriate. You control the upper limit, not the speed that the car should drive at right now. V11 allowed us to control the speed the car should drive at right now. So if we dialed in 50, it would slavishly try to hit 50 - even if we were in a suburban area. V12 won't do that under any conditions. So we can set the MAX to 50 all we want, but it's going to stick to a reasonable speed in that suburban environment. It has to be able to make those judgements, especially in crowded environments where the posted speed limit is completely impractical.

Right, because FSD is already driving at the speed that it deems appropriate. You control the upper limit, not the speed that the car should drive at right now. V11 allowed us to control the speed the car should drive at right now. So if we dialed in 50, it would slavishly try to hit 50 - even if we were in a suburban area. V12 won't do that under any conditions. So we can set the MAX to 50 all we want, but it's going to stick to a reasonable speed in that suburban environment. It has to be able to make those judgements, especially in crowded environments where the posted speed limit is completely impractical.
Totally makes sense and with the NHTSA crack down that is what they should do.

But, that isn’t what one of the above posters was indicating was a restriction and that they were ABLE to use the scroll wheel to go ABOVE what was posted as MAX, which is what I said - I was NOT able to do.

Totally makes sense and with the NHTSA crack down that is what they should do.

But, that isn’t what one of the above posters was indicating was a restriction and that they were ABLE to use the scroll wheel to go ABOVE what was posted as MAX, which is what I said - I was NOT able to do.
You'd have to be driving on a road where FSD has an ideal speed of, say, 45 in a 35 zone, when the ASSO-selected limit is only 40. I think it's an unusual situation for the ASSO-selected limit to be below FSD's ideal speed. But when it happens, you can scroll wheel to raise the hidden ASSO limit, resulting in the car speeding up as FSD is unleashed to go after its ideal speed.

If you ever want to see the current ASSO number, turn off ASSO. The MAX will revert to a number, and that will be the ASSO-selected limit. You can play with that to your heart's content to figure out what ASSO is picking under various conditions.

You'd have to be driving on a road where FSD has an ideal speed of, say, 45 in a 35 zone, when the ASSO-selected limit is only 40. I think it's an unusual situation for the ASSO-selected limit to be below FSD's ideal speed. But when it happens, you can scroll wheel to raise the hidden ASSO limit, resulting in the car speeding up as FSD is unleashed to go after its ideal speed.

If you ever want to see the current ASSO number, turn off ASSO. The MAX will revert to a number, and that will be the ASSO-selected limit. You can play with that to your heart's content to figure out what ASSO is picking under various conditions.
Now THAT makes more sense..

I will say, I have noticed something random and I need to test it out more… but do you remember when one was able to tap tap tap on the speed limit sign and it would automatically take the speed to the speed limit,, either up or down? Well, I was tapping around trying to get the speed to go HIGHER where I was, in the same 35 zone, and not being able to get higher speed,,, and tap tap tap on the speed limit sign moved the speed UP by 5 mph. This was all with the same settings. So, will test that out some more. Could have been a fluke, but maybe it’s a way to push the speed up to whatever ‘limit’ it thinks is best.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Just did a 3 hour drive and witnessed this issue. Most of the time I had to hit the accelerator to get the car up to the set speed limit. For some reason, it wouldn't on its own. Happened throughout the drive on non-highways.
The question is whether the mode mattered. The described behavior definitely happens. My claim is it happens in both modes on 12.3.3. I have never seen any difference in ASSO vs manual in this regard.

On this drive did you try both modes and notice a difference?

It changes the limit. You just can’t see it. This limit appears to be ignored though, for values under the detected speed, in ASSO mode. So if you scroll it down to 10mph it seems to ignore it until you go to manual mode and scroll again to set it to a low value.

There may be situations when the ASSO limit is respected, I am just not sure when. It may respect it when the limit is above the detected speed limit. Not sure. More experiments needed!
You control the upper limit, not the speed that the car should drive at right now.
Yes. The limit is 50% over the speed limit. Unless it is in manual mode in which case it is whatever you set. The car will not exceed this limit and will aggressively reduce speed when above it.

You should just be able to use the accelerator to go above the limit. The car will stay at that speed as long as it is not above the hidden ASSO limit (which is 50% over the detected limit). If the car is above the ASSO limit you’ll know about it as soon as you release the accelerator!

I think it's an unusual situation for the ASSO-selected limit to be below FSD's ideal speed.
Never seen it be anything other than 50% over the detected limit.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
that they were ABLE to use the scroll wheel to go ABOVE what was posted as MAX,
Not sure who said this. Anyway not in ASSO mode. This would only be the case in manual mode.

But when it happens, you can scroll wheel to raise the hidden ASSO limit, resulting in the car speeding up as FSD is unleashed to go after its ideal speed.
Maybe this works. I have my doubts since it doesn't appear ASSO limit changes are respected even when it increases the underlying SSO. But it's possible that when the car in ASSO mode is already traveling 50% over the detected limit and wants to go faster, that increasing the limit actually does do something.
However, have my doubts. It would be very hard to test. One way would be to travel over 50% over the limit using accelerator input, then dial up ASSO even further, and see if it allows you go stay more than 50% over the limit.

I haven't checked to see whether the car allows ASSO limit to exceed 50% over the detected limit.

the MAX will revert to a number, and that will be the ASSO-selected limit.

Just did a 3 hour drive and witnessed this issue. Most of the time I had to hit the accelerator to get the car up to the set speed limit. For some reason, it wouldn't on its own. Happened throughout the drive on non-highways.

Anyway checked this all out today again, just to be sure. There's the detected limit, DL (the number on the speed limit sign). Then there's the set speed offset (SSO) limit, which is either hidden (ASSO mode), or visible (manual).

As you'll recall:
ASSO mode SSO 50% offset above detected limit. Not displayed.
Manual mode it's whatever you've set it to. The SSO is limited with configurable behavior to 30% over the DL. But you can dial it further up or down on the fly (THE key benefit of Manual mode over ASSO).

ASSO Mode:
Can dial up and down SSO to your heart's content and the car will not respect the SSO limit (even if you're currently above the DL and dial down the hidden ASSO limit to below current speed when it's above DL). I've dialed it all the way down to zero and it happily disregards it.
Can switch over to manual mode and you can see what SSO is, since it's displayed. But won't respect this.
Again: Won't respect this limit after switching over in manual mode, unless you further adjust it and (apparently) adjust it above your current speed. Basically have to have the SSO limit over your current speed before it starts respecting it, then you can dial it down and it will continue to respect it.

When in manual mode if you're pressing accelerator and roll scroll wheel even with a really low current SSO, it'll go immediately to above your current speed. Very rapid increase. No need to furiously scroll, just press accelerator and scroll a little.

When in manual mode scrolling the SSO from a value above your current speed, or in general when starting in manual mode, it will respect the SSO. You'll feel this with considerable regen.

In both manual and ASSO modes behavior is identical with the exception of the SSO, to the extent that matters for the particular situation.

So below that SSO, both ASSO & manual appear to behave identically and go the same speed.

Last edited:
Not sure who said this. Anyway not in ASSO mode. This would only be the case in manual mode.

Maybe this works. I have my doubts since it doesn't appear ASSO limit changes are respected even when it increases the underlying SSO. But it's possible that when the car in ASSO mode is already traveling 50% over the detected limit and wants to go faster, that increasing the limit actually does do something.
However, have my doubts. It would be very hard to test. One way would be to travel over 50% over the limit using accelerator input, then dial up ASSO even further, and see if it allows you go stay more than 50% over the limit.

I haven't checked to see whether the car allows ASSO limit to exceed 50% over the detected limit.

Anyway checked this all out today again, just to be sure. There's the detected limit, DL (the number on the speed limit sign). Then there's the set speed offset (SSO) limit, which is either hidden (ASSO mode), or visible (manual).

As you'll recall:
ASSO mode SSO 50% offset above detected limit. Not displayed.
Manual mode it's whatever you've set it to. The SSO is limited with configurable behavior to 30% over the DL. But you can dial it further up or down on the fly (THE key benefit of Manual mode over ASSO).

ASSO Mode:
Can dial up and down SSO to your heart's content and the car will not respect the SSO limit (even if you're currently above the DL and dial down the hidden ASSO limit to below current speed when it's above DL). I've dialed it all the way down to zero and it happily disregards it.
Can switch over to manual mode and you can see what SSO is, since it's displayed. But won't respect this.
Again: Won't respect this limit after switching over in manual mode, unless you further adjust it and (apparently) adjust it above your current speed. Basically have to have the SSO limit over your current speed before it starts respecting it, then you can dial it down and it will continue to respect it.

When in manual mode if you're pressing accelerator and roll scroll wheel even with a really low current SSO, it'll go immediately to above your current speed. Very rapid increase. No need to furiously scroll, just press accelerator and scroll a little.

When in manual mode scrolling the SSO from a value above your current speed, or in general when starting in manual mode, it will respect the SSO. You'll feel this with considerable regen.

In both manual and ASSO modes behavior is identical with the exception of the SSO, to the extent that matters for the particular situation.

So below that SSO, both ASSO & manual appear to behave identically and go the same speed.
They obviously have some work to do when it comes to set speeds, and speed limits. I find FSD set speeds work well on interstates, but not on other types of roads.

Reactions: zoomer0056