Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) won't be available on FSD v12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 to another frustrated customer not having TACC easily accessible like it was before.

I like the feature of FSD choosing the speed but wish I could over ride it. Going faster with the flow of traffic in certain areas and staying the speed limit in others would be nice. Not being able to override it and say slow down / speed up is a real PITA. Got an area everyone speeds in and I typically limit my speed to 5 over. Then another area is like a speed trap and I want to be ~speed limit and not 10+ over the car wants to do. Also even though you scroll up it doesn't increase the speed like I want. :(
The other problem I have run into is that following the update a 45-55mph area I drive on now drops to 30mph for some reason.

certainly not good if the car drops out of Autosteer into full manual and you don't realize it - but the sudden slow down will catch your attention.
Yes I think it's better than keeping up the speed and drifting the steering until you realize it - I had one bad problem with that and I changed my mind about which disengagement behavior was preferable.

There are three options when you open “autopilot” on the in-car screen. TACC is one, Self Driving is one and there is one more I can't remember (autosteer or something I don't use anyway). You can chose either of the three there. Before the last update, you used to be able to easily select between TACC and FSD by clicking once or twice on the right scroll wheel in the X but now you only get FSD with the click, no clicking to get TACC, you have to go back to the “autopilot” selection. HOWEVER, the workaround is to set up two profiles for yourself, one with TACC, the other FSD enabled. That way you can quickly just hit the screen and change between profiles. Not as easy as one/two clicks but a functional workaround until Tesla realizes there are situations when being able to use TACC is safer than FSD such as local streets where children are playing and/or there are speed cameras.

Reactions: BrianGragg
I'm not going to have cruise control during the trial? Well, I'm sad now. At least it's only for a month. I use cruise control in both our vehicles on a certain road. Lets me relax and just chill out watching the other vehicles do stupid things.
Oh, you will have it when using FSD, but it no longer works correctly when using TACC only (like I have been doing for city driving which FSD can have problems with). It stops at green lights, whereas it didn't before the update.

There are three options when you open “autopilot” on the in-car screen. TACC is one, Self Driving is one and there is one more I can't remember (autosteer or something I don't use anyway). You can chose either of the three there. Before the last update, you used to be able to easily select between TACC and FSD by clicking once or twice on the right scroll wheel in the X but now you only get FSD with the click, no clicking to get TACC, you have to go back to the “autopilot” selection. HOWEVER, the workaround is to set up two profiles for yourself, one with TACC, the other FSD enabled. That way you can quickly just hit the screen and change between profiles. Not as easy as one/two clicks but a functional workaround until Tesla realizes there are situations when being able to use TACC is safer than FSD such as local streets where children are playing and/or there are speed cameras.
Agreed, but that doesn't solve the problem that now TACC stops at green lights, making it VERY annoying to use in the city.

I am confused here. This thread says you can not change ADAS modes while driving. But you can. Just not with the stalk/scroll.

If you are in FSD go to autopilot and you can select Autosteer or just TACC while driving. It lets you.

It just diesn’t let you select a higher level done after you make the change. So if you go from FSD to autosteer or TACC, you can’t go back to FSD until you’re in park.

I have to remember to change FSD activation to two flips then. I'm very used to one flip for TACC.
That’s not an option for me. One flip is all I get since last weeks upgrade. Can’t change that in settings.

Not having TACC is all the reason I need to stay away from FSD. Yea I know, I can go into settings and turn off FSD. Just another task I see as unnecessary.

I am confused here. This thread says you can not change ADAS modes while driving. But you can. Just not with the stalk/scroll.

If you are in FSD go to autopilot and you can select Autosteer or just TACC while driving. It lets you.

It just diesn’t let you select a higher level done after you make the change. So if you go from FSD to autosteer or TACC, you can’t go back to FSD until you’re in park.
You used to be able to push the stalk once for TACC, twice for Autopilot (FSD). They got rid of this option, so you must now select your mode from the screen BEFORE you drive. When using TACC, my car would stop at red lights/stop lights. Since the update, TACC now stops at green lights.

I think it's garbage they are forcing FSD or nothing (based on a setting), without the option to use TACC if you want it. Clearly the car can do it, why not just make it available?
Used to be that if, while in FSD, you turned the wheel to get control, TACC became active. No longer so. There's a few ways for them to make it work, but they just didn't want to. Personally, I rather liked the "1 pull" or "2 pull" options (TACC/FSD), I think that was the best of both worlds, and allowed the driver to decide what was appropriate for the conditions.

You used to be able to push the stalk once for TACC, twice for Autopilot (FSD). They got rid of this option, so you must now select your mode from the screen BEFORE you drive. When using TACC, my car would stop at red lights/stop lights. Since the update, TACC now stops at green lights.
I also saw this behaviour. I changed off of FSD and onto Autosteer with traffic light recognition and it wanted to stop at all the green lights on the highway. Not sure why but this was on a highway and there was always a red light for the left turn lane next to two green lights for the through lanes.