Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD v12 automatic speed setting works pretty well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find even in chill it sometimes accelerates too fast and brakes too hard, needs to anticipate better. Other times it is very tentative. Mostly need to be able to specify a limit to how fast it will go, I never want to be doing 15 over the speed limit. I can't understand why the scroll wheel is disabled.

I find even in chill it sometimes accelerates too fast and brakes too hard, needs to anticipate better. Other times it is very tentative. Mostly need to be able to specify a limit to how fast it will go, I never want to be doing 15 over the speed limit. I can't understand why the scroll wheel is disabled.
Auto is auto. Turn off the auto feature and you can set your absolute or relative speed and use the scroll wheel to modify it as needed.

Well, it is good when it works.
I found too clear issues:
1) At one point of changing highways, it takes 35 mph speed limit somehow and then drives on a 65mph highway at 35 mph... and it does it more or less consistently in one place
2) FINALLY, it tries to slow down in school zones when 25 mph lights are on. But UNFORTUNATELY i tries to accelerate back to 40 mph after the very first intersection. So it is still useless and even more dangerous.
I have a similar problem around here.. coming from a city street at 40 mph, to an on-ramp on highway 280 - which is 65, A) takes forever to get onto the highway going all the way to the end of the on-ramp lane, but then B) since it hasn’t seen a 65 mph sign yet, or switched to v11 - not sure, it doesn’t want to get up to full speed or even other vehicles speed so I always have to give it the beans.

Reactions: alexgr
My car drives way too slow with or without this enabled with 12.3.3. I have to press the accelerator at almost all times now. It's borderline useless. I want v11 back. What a letdown.
Yes, both modes are the same, ASSO (Automatic Set Speed Offset) & Manual. The only "auto" thing about ASSO is the way the speed offset cap is set automatically at 50% over the limit.

Surface streets Cap Behavior:
ASSO: Speed offset +50% over detected limit. Hidden. Can be adjusted with scroll wheel (but is hidden, and may or may not be honored - not sure - recently I have not had it respond to this limit if current speed exceeds the invisible set limit). (The way to see what the limit is set to is to swap to manual mode on the fly, and it will display the current limit which is usually 50% over unless you have adjusted it.)
Manual: Speed offset set to your preference up to 30% over detected limit. Visible. Can be adjusted with scroll wheel.

Limited access highways & freeways Cap Behavior: *Uses v11 stack with that behavior, attempting to go to set limit*
ASSO: Speed limit is 5%/10%/15% over detected limit depending on chill/moderate/assertive style. Visible, adjustable with scroll wheel, and respected AFAIK.
Manual: Speed limit is set to your preference. Visible. Can be adjusted with scroll wheel.

In both Manual & ASSO modes, the vehicle decides how fast it wants to go, which may be a few mph over or under the detected speed. This speed is not affected by the user offset in ASSO or Manual mode. UNLESS it wants to go ABOVE the Set Speed Offset value. In which case that value is a cap.

But the fundamental "auto-speed" is the SAME in both modes, AFAIK.

Upon manual accelerator input, both modes will tend to respect that input for a while UNLESS the vehicle speed goes above the set speed cap - in this case the car will rapidly regen back to the cap speed.

Advantages of ASSO mode:
Higher offset available. This is beneficial if you tend to want to go 30%-50% higher than the vehicle detected limit, since this is not possible by default in manual mode (would have to scroll).
Provides a different limit for highway driving than city driving so provides some additional flexibility.
Highway offset is adjustable on the fly with driving profile to 5%/10%/15% over the limit which is potentially convenient.

Advantages of manual mode:
Allows current set speed offset to be visible, adjusted, and honored. This is advantageous if you want to avoid speeding.
In the case of mis-detected limits much lower than the actual limit, it will allow adjustment of the offset so you can get up to speed. (In ASSO mode this may not be possible for very low detected limits relative to the actual limit; you would have to step on the accelerator constantly to maintain speed above the cap.)

On City Streets, both modes lack the functionality of v11, which takes the vehicle to your desired set speed offset in the absence of obstacles. This is a major regression from v11. The automatic speed is nice when your set speed is way higher than the speed one should be going, but this represents the minority of situations for many drivers. Again, that base automatic speed functionality is identical in ASSO and manual modes. That automatic feature is not what the "Automatic" in ASSO mode is referring to.

Again: In NEITHER mode does the set speed seem to have any impact on the speed the vehicle goes, unless the car NN happens to want to go OVER that speed (which becomes more and more rare the higher the % offset).

Corrections welcome. The may be some further subtleties to the framework that I have missed or not experienced. These basics are mostly correct though.

Last edited:
On City Streets, both modes lack the functionality of v11, which takes the vehicle to your desired set speed offset in the absence of obstacles. This is a major regression from v11.
The only correction I'll make is that this is not a regression. A regression is reverting to behavior that was seen previously. This is entirely new behavior we've not seen in previous versions, which would always take you to your set speed. If they update v12 to the speed behavior of v11, then it would be a regression.

It seems to not recognize any speed limit signs around here at all. Oddly regular autopilot recognizes them all. It reads 55 in a 65 and goes 45. It reads 65 in a 45 and goes 55…not good in these little towns! The actual driving has been shockingly good, but I have to constantly use the scroll wheel to adjust speed. Auto setting is even worse it speeds up and slows down like a teenager mashing the pedal and letting off constantly.

I find even in chill it sometimes accelerates too fast and brakes too hard, needs to anticipate better.
The Full Self-Driving (Supervised) Profile is not a speed setting. It's a following distance setting according to the screen. Read the bottom line of the pic:
1000029015.jpg

Reactions: mgs333
I can't use this feature because it tries to go 45 in a heavily enforced 35mph zone where the road is a divided boulevard with two lanes in each direction. It does this with no traffic ahead or behind. The road looks like at least 45 should be fine, but that's a guaranteed speeding ticket.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I can't use this feature because it tries to go 45 in a heavily enforced 35mph zone where the road is a divided boulevard with two lanes in each direction. It does this with no traffic ahead or behind. The road looks like at least 45 should be fine, but that's a guaranteed speeding ticket.
Yep, manual mode for the win. It gives you all the features of ASSO with none of the speeding. The only difference is the speed cap.

I have no idea why anyone would use ASSO. Manual with occasional scrolling to adjust the cap upwards will be equivalent to better.

Reactions: Dracaris
Yep, manual mode for the win. It gives you all the features of ASSO with none of the speeding. The only difference is the speed cap.

I have no idea why anyone would use ASSO. Manual with occasional scrolling to adjust the cap upwards will be equivalent to better.
Here’s why I use the auto speed setting: without it, FSD v12 (unlike v11) doesn’t maintain the set speed on city streets, it goes slower for no apparent reason, and increasing the set speed using the scroll wheel doesn’t help. For the kinds of streets that I drive on, the auto speed setting works better.

Interesting. I’ve never seen any difference in behavior - and I have switched back and forth a LOT.
I saw Chris (DirtyTesla) talk about this in his most recent 12.3.4 video. When you turn off Auto Speed control you can set your max but the car doesn't go straight up to that max. It will often keep a lower speed it feels is more appropriate. Chris was showing this on dirt roads where previous versions would have just gone up to his set speed but V12 doesn't.

Like the previous poster, I also find the Auto setting gives me a more appropriate speed to the conditions on City driving...yes it is often speeding but so is the flow of traffic in those areas.

I saw Chris (DirtyTesla) talk about this in his most recent 12.3.4 video. When you turn off Auto Speed control you can set your max but the car doesn't go straight up to that max. It will often keep a lower speed it feels is more appropriate. Chris was showing this on dirt roads where previous versions would have just gone up to his set speed but V12 doesn't.

Like the previous poster, I also find the Auto setting gives me a more appropriate speed to the conditions on City driving...yes it is often speeding but so is the flow of traffic in those areas.
On city streets, which is the only place V12 is active, the MAX is set by whatever the car sees from speed signage, and in my experrience at least scroll wheel adjustments will NOT allow increasing that speed above the MAX that the car has set. And OFTEN at least and certainly in residential areas, the car will travel ~ 15-20% SLOWER than what it has seen as the posted MAX. The AUTO setting allows the car to exceed what it sees, sometimes, due to other traffic conditions and cars.