Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford says owners can start using superchargers today (Feb 29)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they'll make some changes to make it more obvious before opening up.
Easier than the map only showing ones you can use?

I think they probably just need some work. The numbers that were quoted at the time of agreements were all of the V3 stalls. So I don't think Tesla is intentionally holding back.
I don't think that is true. They always gave a number of stalls, that was always less than the total of V3 stalls in NA. I don't recall seeing any official communication saying they would have access to "all of the V3 stalls".

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
If Tesla opens up a majority of their chargers to non Teslas, then what would be so unique anymore? They're pretty much screwing their own sales.
Europe has had Tesla superchargers open to other brands for about a year. Still was a top brand seller. Also other networks are pretty good and comparable over there. And yet, Tesla still does very well in sales and often ranked top option for model 3 and Y.

It’s in the US where Tesla had exclusive access to the network but was not the number one selling vehicle. By opening up the network in the US, it brings more EVs to the mainstream. Many people wouldn’t buy an EV here because all they hear are charging issues. The news often states this but they rarely say “except Tesla”. If all EVs have a better charging experience, more of that will get around and more will buy EVs. Tesla will continue to do well. Sure, some may bail on Tesla but overall the pool of people will increase.

Lol. People are using a Tesla board to start a discussion as to which non Teslas are a good buy. All because the SC network has opened up. Great going Tesla.
Great. Maybe that will spur Tesla to do some long-needed improvements like update basic Autopilot or add third party DCFC sites to the nav system so you can precondition for something other than a supercharger.

Easier than the map only showing ones you can use?
I mean adding some kind of obvious signage at the site, so that NACSers can easily see which groups they can use as they pull up.
I know originally some mixed sites had little 250kW tags on the top of the V3s.

There might also be issues around displaying the number of open stalls. NACSers would need to see different information to Tesla owners, and Tesla owners need to know that it's not just V2 available.

I don't think that is true. They always gave a number of stalls, that was always less than the total of V3 stalls in NA. I don't recall seeing any official communication saying they would have access to "all of the V3 stalls".
Unless there was a very small number of stalls at mixed sites. The original number quoted was very close to the number of open stalls at the time. Recently the number quoted went up by several thousand as Tesla added a lot of new stalls.

Great. Maybe that will spur Tesla to do some long-needed improvements like update basic Autopilot or add third party DCFC sites to the nav system so you can precondition for something other than a supercharger.
I charge at a 75kw charger for 4 months now cause it’s free. Just set nav to a supercharger then go to your non Tesla charging spot.

I charge at a 75kw charger for 4 months now cause it’s free. Just set nav to a supercharger then go to your non Tesla charging spot.
This is only partially effective if the nearest SC site is many miles away from the DCFC site you need to use. It sounds like you have a sweetheart deal that provides an economic incentive to avoid a nearby SC. That's a bit of a special case, as in my area, superchargers are much cheaper than other DCFC sites.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Personality I don't get the craze to get a CCS adapter since the entire CCS world is dying to get access to Tesla SC.

There are places in MI for me that have CCS only like copper harbor. Also I upgraded my car for that CCS adapter so it can speak the true NACS protocol. I’ve read that is needed if you plan to charge at 3rd party charges even for NACS because they use a diff protocol than native Tesla.

Personality I don't get the craze to get a CCS adapter since the entire CCS world is dying to get access to Tesla SC.
There aren't NACS chargers everywhere. There are places with CCS only or with CCS more conveneniently located.

Here, until Rockland opens, there is no NACS between Freeport and Ellsworth on US-1, and Freeport sucks. Brunswick and Belfast have CCS. Also chargers will be added this year in Northern and Downeast Maine which might be CCS only, while NACS means crossing the border or diverting to Baileyville.

Options.

It depends on where you live and where you drive. Once you get away from interstates, many parts of the country have no superchargers. But, you may find a DCFC from another network available. Even a 50 kW unit can be useful to add enough energy to make it possible to take a more enjoyable route than busy interstates.

This is only partially effective if the nearest SC site is many miles away from the DCFC site you need to use. It sounds like you have a sweetheart deal that provides an economic incentive to avoid a nearby SC. That's a bit of a special case, as in my area, superchargers are much cheaper than other DCFC sites.
I charge for free at home as I have solar. I want to bank the credits I have 19 years left. This free charger is 4 miles all highway. Even when it’s freezing out I still get 60kw after the short drive l. As it warms up i get the full 75.

I suspect SC congestion from non teslas may be worse in the US than in Europe for 2 reasons:

1. The other networks in the US are often less reliable. Other networks in EU appear to be pretty decent.

2. The pricing of a SC in US (even with the increased rates) appear to still be less than EA. At least according to JerryRigEverything.

I would add that we have many more larger EVs (with larger batteries) than EU does. Not too many Lightnings over there and not many ID.3 and Citroen's, E208s, etc over here.

However, I think it's going to take a while before we see non-Tesla EVs at Superchargers in droves, judging by what I'm reading over on the Mach-E forum. Maybe by the Summer... May/June seem to be what most earlier orders are getting with some already going to August, or later:

NACS Adapter Now Available + Ford EV Owners Can Now Charge on Tesla Superchargers in U.S., Canada!

I would add that we have many more larger EVs (with larger batteries) than EU does. Not too many Lightnings over there and not many ID.3 and Citroen's, E208s, etc over here.

However, I think it's going to take a while before we see non-Tesla EVs at Superchargers in droves, judging by what I'm reading over on the Mach-E forum. Maybe by the Summer... May/June seem to be what most earlier orders are getting with some already going to August, or later:

NACS Adapter Now Available + Ford EV Owners Can Now Charge on Tesla Superchargers in U.S., Canada!
It is good to know that Tesla is working on a NACS to NACS supercharger extension cord that people can purchase. Hopefully ford owners buy one.