Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford says owners can start using superchargers today (Feb 29)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the Ford press release and went into the app to look under "charge my non Tesla"

Now the Tesla app asks me to enter car details, including "do you have an adapter". If I claim I have a Ford (and an adapter) there are a LOT of sites available, but not all of the ones I expected. Looking around in the Seattle region I know best, most of the V3 sites are open, but not all. For example the North Bend site at the truck stop isn't listed.

Is anyone tracking which sites are being shared (and which sites aren't?)

If I list the CCS car we actually have (Hyundai Kona EV), it looks like only the magic-dock sites are listed, even though I claimed to have an adapter.

3580517714_17f3f3dbd8_b.jpg

"1954 Ford F-100 Interior Logo" by JD Hancock is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd not seen that option. Yeah, that works
Probably just added this morning.

Ok, this hurts my head: magic docks stations NOT open to Ford?

View attachment 1023163
So again, I'm a little confused about what you mean here, but I think what you are saying is that if you click off "Superchargers Oen to Other EVs", the "Moses Lake" and "Quincy" superchargers disappear. I would not necessarily interpret that as being they are closed to Ford (or other NACS vehicles). I would say that a NACS vehicle should just have both Superchargers Open to Other EVs and Superchargers Open to NACS enabled, and that is the set of superchargers open to them. You're probably correct that the Superchargers open to NACS symbol should also be present when Superchargers Open to Other EVs is not clicked, but it's been less than 12 hours, so let's see if they resolve this with an update. Even so, it's simple enough to work around.

So again, I'm a little confused about what you mean here, but I think what you are saying is that if you click off "Superchargers Oen to Other EVs", the "Moses Lake" and "Quincy" superchargers disappear. I would not necessarily interpret that as being they are closed to Ford (or other NACS vehicles).
My assumption is that the "Open to NACS" chargers are setup to use Plug&Charge in a way that allows the Ford(/other partners that signed agreements) cars to just plug in.

I would then assume that the Plug&Charge functionality would work at all the magic-dock sites too, because distributing software is free, and the software was already written. By the magic-dock stations disappearing, I'm instead assuming that a ford driver will have to activate the charger it in the app like any other CCS car would.

But as you note, that's a lot of assumptions I'm making, and it's likely too early for anyone to have tested that.

Last edited:
My assumption is that the "Open to NACS" chargers are setup to use Plug&Charge in a way that allows the Ford(/other partners that signed agreements) cars to just plug in.

I would then assume that the Plug&Charge functionality would work at all the magic-dock sites too, because distributing software is free, and the software was already written. By the magic-dock stations disappearing, I'm assuming that a ford driver will have to activate the charger it in the app like any other CCS car would.

But as you note, that's a lot of assumptions I'm making, and it's likely too early for anyone to have tested that.
The plug and charge feature does work with the Magic Docks according the Ford rep that was on this morning's Out of Spec podcast.

The Tesla app appears to allow a NACS adapter user to initiate a charge through the Tesla app which implies the ability to charge without using Plug & Charge.

I obviously haven’t tried it yet, but I’m guessing if I had an adapter I would be able to use the Tesla app today to initiate a charge with a Chevy Bolt EV or pretty much any CCS car (even if I might have to tell it a lie and say I have a Ford EV).

Before anyone complains that the SCs are now going to be clogged with non-Teslas, remember that Tesla sells more Teslas to clog those chargers every year than the competition COMBINED. And if that's not accurate, it's close.

This is another reason to get the CCS1 adapter for your Tesla, to expand charging options, because Tesla SC access might not be so easy anymore.
What did I JUST say?

What did I JUST say?
Tesla sold 55% (of 1.2 million) of USA BEVs last year, That means that in the next few months we can expect upwards of a million non-Tesla BEVs to gain access to the Tesla SC network! So I think you should have taken a look at the numbers before posting. I've experienced full or nearly full TSC stations on my regular trips down to SE AZ via I5 and I10, before this massive increase in access to the TSC network.

• Funny
Reactions: nicksp and KJD
Tesla sold 55% (of 1.2 million) of USA BEVs last year, That means that in the next few months we can expect upwards of a million non-Tesla BEVs to gain access to the Tesla SC network! So I think you should have taken a look at the numbers before posting. I've experienced full or nearly full TSC stations on my regular trips down to SE AZ via I5 and I10, before this massive increase in access to the TSC network.
From Tesla's website:
with approximately one new stall opening every hour, we’re just getting started.

Reactions: APotatoGod and SO16