Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions, Model X versus 3 year old Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cosmacelf, would everything be clear if you backed into the garage instead?

I ask this because I always back my vehicle into my garage. I have a 3 car garage and my spot is the middle bay. I'm trying to imagine how the X will look in that spot versus what is in there now (Santa Fe Sport). Currently, with that specific SUV backed in, it looks like where the FWD open up it would be clear of the rails and the opener. This is how I plan on parking my X in the garage. My X will be the same height as the Santa Fe, but about 13 inches longer and bit wider.

So, yes, just for you, I tried it. When I back into the garage, the falcon wing doors clear the garage doors. I have to back in a few inches more to clear the garage door motor, so ymmv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451924462.090719.jpg

Note that the FWD completely ignored the attic pull rope I have.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451924574.819600.jpg

Thanks so much, Cosmacelf, for sharing your impressions!

Have you had any middle or rear seat passengers in the car for long trips? We do an 800-mile trip twice a year and a 300-mile trip many times a year. Would love to get a sense of how comfortable (or not) the 2nd and 3rd row seats are for longer trips and potential sleeping kids (or adults!). Since the middle row seats have a fixed angle of seat bottom to seat back, without the ability to recline (though I understand they do tilt slightly back), I'm wondering how comfortable passengers will be for extended periods in them.

Thanks!

-Chris

Have you had any middle or rear seat passengers in the car for long trips? We do an 800-mile trip twice a year and a 300-mile trip many times a year. Would love to get a sense of how comfortable (or not) the 2nd and 3rd row seats are for longer trips and potential sleeping kids (or adults!). Since the middle row seats have a fixed angle of seat bottom to seat back, without the ability to recline (though I understand they do tilt slightly back), I'm wondering how comfortable passengers will be for extended periods in them.
-Chris

Haven't done extended trips with passengers, but so far people have told me that the second row seats are more comfortable than the original Model S seats. Reclining isn't really an option with the second and third row seats. Sleeping horizontally across the second row seats doesn't work either since they are so sculptured.

- - - Updated - - -

How's the wind/road noise compare to Model S?
Is it really quieter?

Seems about the same.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I drove right past a roadkill skunk today and had to strain to smell anything at all, all on auto climate mode. Very impressive. I turned on bioweapon mode just for fun and it puts the fan to 11, so too noisy for normal use.

Those do look cool. Other than no motor in the middle of the garage ceiling, why did you call it amazing?

I've had these in previous homes. They're pretty great from a noise perspective as well, and they generally have locking lugs that insert themselves into the tracks in the doors.

That said, I don't think the overhead motor is much of a limiting factor in the falcon wing doors. At least with a 7' door, you're probably looking at overhead tracks somewhere around 7'3" - 7'6" and those are likely to be your main obstructions.

I've had these in previous homes. They're pretty great from a noise perspective as well, and they generally have locking lugs that insert themselves into the tracks in the doors.

That said, I don't think the overhead motor is much of a limiting factor in the falcon wing doors. At least with a 7' door, you're probably looking at overhead tracks somewhere around 7'3" - 7'6" and those are likely to be your main obstructions.

Hmmm, but without the need for the drive shaft for the opener above the opened garage door, you could raise your tracks up closer to the ceiling. Could gain another 4 - 5" of headroom easily.

Actually seems like a _great_ option.

Hmmm, but without the need for the drive shaft for the opener above the opened garage door, you could raise your tracks up closer to the ceiling. Could gain another 4 - 5" of headroom easily.

Actually seems like a _great_ option.

Good point. I'm thinking about my low ceilings, but you're absolutely right. If you have clearance, it might help quite a bit.

Good point. I'm thinking about my low ceilings, but you're absolutely right. If you have clearance, it might help quite a bit.

I have a 7 foot tall door (84") with 8 foot ceilings (96") in the garage. Currently my tracks are at 88". Model X FaWD need 90" of clearance above to open fully. It looks like I could raise my tracks 4" more to 92" with a lift system like this, which would still leave 4" of clearance above the opened garage door for the exterior handle and 2" of room above the FaWD. This would solve my height clearance problems totally.

Now, I just need to cope with the fact that my doors are only 8 feet wide (96"), and the Model X mirror-tip to mirror-tip is 89". That leaves only 2.5" of margin on either side for pulling in. Sure, we could press the button to fold in the mirrors every time we pull into the garage, but the mirrors auto-extend when turning the car back on, so we'd also have to push the button after putting the car in gear to reverse twice. That's too much hassle.

Tesla needs to geo-fence mirror activation like they do air suspension activation. Or tie it to Homelink garage door open/close button presses - press the garage door open button and the mirrors cycle. Fold in if they are out. Fold out if they were in.

Reactions: newtman
This may be a stupid question; forgive me as I am not a Tesla owner yet. But since the charging port is at the rear of the car, do people have to back in to the garage to charge the car at home?

I have a 3 car garage and was planning to put the charger in the middle stall. Bad idea? Better to utilize one of the side stalls and mount the charger on a side wall so I don't have to back in? Or non-issue?

This may be a stupid question; forgive me as I am not a Tesla owner yet. But since the charging port is at the rear of the car, do people have to back in to the garage to charge the car at home?

I have a 3 car garage and was planning to put the charger in the middle stall. Bad idea? Better to utilize one of the side stalls and mount the charger on a side wall so I don't have to back in? Or non-issue?

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

In most cases, you have to involve an electrician to either install an 80A wall charger or a 40A outlet. I had ours run conduits on each side of the garage almost to the garage door. It costs money but so worth it both functionally and aesthetically. If you are bored, you can come take a look. I am on Lake of the Isles.

Cheers!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by EarlyAdopter Tesla needs to geo-fence mirror activation like they do air suspension activation. Or tie it to Homelink garage door open/close button presses - press the garage door open button and the mirrors cycle. Fold in if they are out. Fold out if they were in.

Great idea. I will need this as well. I'm passing it onto my DS. Be good if others did as well.

My EVSEs are mounted at the rear of the garage, but even if they were in the front, an HPWC cord is ~21 ft long.

Thanks, andrewket and Vizir! This is exactly the info I needed. (BTW great win by the Jayhawks last night! Epic! Rock chalk....!)

@AMN: wow! Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on it! Do you have your X yet?

Last edited:
Lift.jpg
TeslaCharger.jpg
TeslaCharger2.jpg
Vizir, we installed ours in the center back wall of the garage. The cord can reach to any bay of the garage. We have always backed in all of our cars into our garages. It is much safer! Also, in this garage, we have installed Liftmaster screwdrive motors that mount on the side on the door, at the spring. There are no motors or chains or bars above. Now, we are just waiting on our MX P90D. Confirmed 12/15/2015.

ohmman - we back into our garage because it is safer when you go to leave, as you won't accidentally back over toys, pets or kids. We have a circular driveway, so traffic is not a concern. It is a thing I learned years ago - avoid backing up if at all possible. What is funny, is that there was a news article on one of the wires the other day that said most Americans park the wrong way. They say we shouldn't be pulling into a parking spot. Instead we should back up or pulling through upon arrival, so that you can exit going. This is also taught in a lot of commercial driver's training/safety courses.