Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I must be in a real daze when I drive, because I've noticed NONE of this. I don't use "Creep" so I can't comment there, but everything else mentioned here seems pretty much the same as before. I wonder if it's a "P" thing since mine is a regular "S85"?

What do you all mean by "accelerator pedal mapping?" What I'm experiencing is not related to the new regen. All other things being equal: it now takes me 60kW on the gauge to get to say 45mph in the same time the car used to do it with 20kW on the gauge. I don't think I'm imagining this. I drive the same county road every day at the same speeds. I didn't have any preconceived notion about seeing this, yet it was apparent to me almost immediately. IS this accelerator pedal mapping?

Bad news, with the float charger on, did not make one bit of difference.

Char stopped charging at approx 1am +/- 15 minutes, 176 miles on the ODO. as of 7 AM on the dot, 169 miles. The Float charge is warm, which means it was/is charging.

From my experience what you are seeing is normal battery degradation. My Roadster with 50,000 miles on it drops around 25 miles in the first hour after the point of charge completion when doing a standard charge. My Model S with 22,000 miles was dropping around 15 miles in the hour after a range charge. My new replacement pack is back to no drop after a range charge with a value of 266 miles after a range charge.

No, I'm in an S85 and the regen is clearly less abrupt in engaging. If you use cruise control get going 60 or 65, then cancel and you'll notice (or maybe you won't!) that there isn't as big of a jerk as before. Over about a second or so regen will go to maximal which you can confirm on the dash display.

I'll give that a try on my way home tonight. I developed a habit long before the Model S of pressing down on the accelerator as I cancel Cruise specifically to avoid any sudden deceleration. I always do this, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed that change.

I think those who are most bothered it is more because of the driving style they've adopted because of the regen, they'll just need to adapt their driving technique a tiny bit, like we all did when first driving a Tesla, and in about 3 days we'll hardly notice.

With the onset of cold weather, my re-gen mapping has been already all over the place, and maybe that's masked any subtle changes I would have otherwise noticed there.

I'm pretty certain vampire draw have never been factored in the Wh/mi calculations. And considering I haven't enabled the sleep mode on my car since upgrading to 5.8 (and still see the same typical vampire losses), that can't be it in my case.

Can't seem to find anything explaining how to go into "sleep mode". One ref in another post made it sound like this was automatic and not independently controllable.

What do you all mean by "accelerator pedal mapping?" What I'm experiencing is not related to the new regen. All other things being equal: it now takes me 60kW on the gauge to get to say 45mph in the same time the car used to do it with 20kW on the gauge. I don't think I'm imagining this. I drive the same county road every day at the same speeds. I didn't have any preconceived notion about seeing this, yet it was apparent to me almost immediately. IS this accelerator pedal mapping?

Hmmm. I assume you're accelerating at the same rate as before??? Both 60 kW and 20 kW of power will get you to 45 MPH, but one will get you there faster :wink:

This could be "accelerator mapping" if you're pressing the pedal the same amount as before and seeing different power levels.

Can't seem to find anything explaining how to go into "sleep mode". One ref in another post made it sound like this was automatic and not independently controllable.

Cal, its actually on the Controls/Displays page under the new screen cleaning thing. Tesla call it Energy Saving Mode. I think it defaulted to ON when I upgraded to 5.6 so yours might actually be on as well. We've been calling it Sleep Mode for a long time so I don't see that ambiguity going away.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm. I assume you're accelerating at the same rate as before??? Both 60 kW and 20 kW of power will get you to 45 MPH, but one will get you there faster :wink:

This could be "accelerator mapping" if you're pressing the pedal the same amount as before and seeing different power levels.

Rate, time, and distance are all the same. BUT, to make that happen I need 60kW when before it took 20kW. I tried it again this morning. I don't think I'm imagining it. In another thread I called it "break away thrust" which is an old airline term for the thrust required to get a big jet moving. It seems to want more break away thrust now to cover a distance in the same time.

The biggest acceleration issue I've seen in 5.8 is when resuming cruise control. The acceleration rate is much slower than before. One nice thing is that since the lowest cruise control speed is 17mph, you can resume cruise control much earlier.

Well, I had the issue when going from 4.5 to 5.6, where my vampire losses went from 10 miles/day to 16-20 miles in a 6-12 hr period.

Well, got the 5.8 update and installed Monday Morning, it is now 10:55pm monday night. My car stopped charging at 90% 1 hour ago (give or take 15 minutes). It stopped at 90% charge at 173.2 miles. I am now DOWN to 168 miles. That is, I repeat, after 1 hr of sitting. 5 miles in 1 hr.

I really wish the service center had never updated me from 4.5 :cursing: I asked for a downgrade, as this is killing my range! On top of the cold weather (Weather made no difference in my vampire losses, though, my final immediate charge level is at least 10 miles lower with the colder weather).

I drive anywhere from 150-180 miles/day, and have done so since I got my car. I can no longer do that. Even when coming immediately off a charge. I now charge my car to 90%, and then 1 hr before leaving in the morning, I hit range mode. So now I am range charging DAILY! Where as all Summer, and even into the COLD weather with 4.5 I did not. Extremely disappointed, and I'm not a complainer.
You are not alone. I went from 4.5(.61) to 5.8(.24) yesterday, and my vampire losses went from 5-6 miles overnight to 10(in sleep mode). I'm not too happy. So now I get double the vampire loss, AND I get to wait for the screen to boot up in the morning. Awesome.

I hate to say it, but the vampire losses on this car are going to be there forever. It's been a year since the car came out, and Tesla has been writing code since then to make the car better. It has improved very little for me. Wifi antenna won't find my signal that is 20 feet away, etc. Tesla has some problems in the software department. Why in the F... Are they worried about throttle/regen mapping, when the car uses double the power it should on a 20 mile daily commute due the vampire load? Makes very little sense.

From my experience what you are seeing is normal battery degradation... My Model S with 22,000 miles was dropping around 15 miles in the hour after a range charge. My new replacement pack is back to no drop after a range charge with a value of 266 miles after a range charge.

15 miles or roughly 6% degradation with only 22,000 miles? I doubt you are actually experiencing that degree of degradation. The drop in rated miles could be attributed to a number of things. I haven't done a range charge recently, but I can tell you that from the few times that I have, the rated range post-completion seems to fluctuate quite a bit.

I'll throw in my observation that 5.8 definitely softens the regen profile. It seems to ramp up on a curve rather than jumping to full right away.

I'm having much worse Wh/mi averages. I used to get ~315 Wh/mi now I see more like ~340 Wh/mi. However, I have no idea if this is due to 5.8 changes, recent colder temps, or the swap of my HV battery which happened two days before 5.8 hit. My usage stats were pretty crazy after the battery swap. The car was very confused. But I've driven a couple of hundred miles since so I'd think all that is worked out by now.

Dear Tesla:

Here's the deal. You don't get it that I don't have it. Got it?

ts-wifi.jpg

Ever since installing 5.8, the car keeps bugging me about wifi this, wifi that. Here's the deal, Tesla: there is no wifi. There will be no wifi. There can be no wifi. I'm in a condo garage. Big dark dungeon of an underground garage. There is no wifi. I spent $3650 to get a NEMA 14-50 installed so that you would have electrons to slurp from. But I'd have to spend a heck of a lot more than that (read: buy the entire condo complex) before I could then spend more to get wifi into the garage.

So, giving me a "Not Now" button but not a "Not EVER" button really doesn't help does it? Every time I start the car in the morning, I get the Wifi Beg dialog box from 5.8. Every time, I press "Not Now" and every following morning I get the Wifi Beg again.

Not gonna happen. As much as I'd love for there to be wifi when the car is parked, not. gonna. happen.

yours truly,
a customer (who in case you didn't know, doesn't have wifi near the car)

New issue this morning after 5.8 update last night. My left turn signal no longer shows the green blinking arrow on the display, and it flashes at twice the speed of the right arrow, which is acting normally. I've tried rebooting with no change.

I had the exact issue you describe when I first got the car in March. I called the Service Center and Fremont pushed me a fix via firmware. Pretty amazing.

a

Al, I've noticed this as well. At first, thought it was just a cold pack, but nope, definitely takes more. At a certain "on ramp" I floor it every day from the wait light. I am usually up to 80 before I get to the end of the ramp. I'm now barely doing 55-60 with the pedal fully mashed on my 60. And that is with a heated pack. On a slightly limited pack due to temps, I was still able to achieve 80+ on 4.5
I think I am going to need to call up and beg for a downgrade. Either that, or waste 6 hrs going to Villa Park to get them to roll it back. Either way, the car HAS NOW BECOME USELESS without doing a mid-day charge.

Here's the deal. You don't get it that I don't have it. Got it?

View attachment 36047

Ever since installing 5.8, the car keeps bugging me about wifi this, wifi that. Here's the deal, Tesla: there is no wifi. There will be no wifi. There can be no wifi. I'm in a condo garage. Big dark dungeon of an underground garage. There is no wifi. I spent $3650 to get a NEMA 14-50 installed so that you would have electrons to slurp from. But I'd have to spend a heck of a lot more than that (read: buy the entire condo complex) before I could then spend more to get wifi into the garage.

So, giving me a "Not Now" button but not a "Not EVER" button really doesn't help does it? Every time I start the car in the morning, I get the Wifi Beg dialog box from 5.8. Every time, I press "Not Now" and every following morning I get the Wifi Beg again.

Not gonna happen. As much as I'd love for there to be wifi when the car is parked, not. gonna. happen.

yours truly,
a customer (who in case you didn't know, doesn't have wifi near the car)

leave a hotspot with no service in the car? ;)