Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me, or is regen less aggressive in 5.x (I came from 4.5)?

I initially thought so too, but I think my mind was playing tricks on me.

Strangely, the new tweak to "make creep smoother" seems to have done exactly the opposite on my P85. I've never noticed any lumpiness below 5mph, but definitely felt some jerking yesterday morning on 5.6. (upgraded to 5.8 this morning and haven't had chance to check whether the lumpiness is still there)

I currently have 5.6 with no issues. Is there any good reason for me to accept the upgrade to 5.8? I haven't found a good reason yet to say yes. I think I am going to wait until we better understand what 5.8 fixes and its overall stability since it seems to have been rushed out en masse. Anyone want to convince me this is the wrong approach?

I currently have 5.6 with no issues. Is there any good reason for me to accept the upgrade to 5.8? I haven't found a good reason yet to say yes. I think I am going to wait until we better understand what 5.8 fixes and its overall stability since it seems to have been rushed out en masse. Anyone want to convince me this is the wrong approach?

The main thing 5.8 fixes is the ability to reset the TPMS without going to the Service Centre. I'm annoyed with the useless TPMS warning, but not enough to give up auto-lowering.

It seems all of the .24 receivers are 60kw ... Unless I missed something. I don't feel like going back through this thread to double check, but that seemed to be a trend when I went through it the first time.

Edit: except tanner.... Nvm, guess that isn't it, the 60s evidently feel the need to identify that they are 60s and the rest of us don't... Or something.

I got 5.8 this morning (up from 5.0). I just checked, and it's the .24 version. I have an standard 85, for what it's worth.

Is it just me, or is regen less aggressive in 5.x (I came from 4.5)? My regen is set to standard, but I don't feel the car pulling quite as much when I let my foot off the accelerator. I could just be over analyzing it.

I felt like the regen was not as aggressive as well. I am not feeling that quick thunk when I come off the accelerator. It's definitely smoother.

I thought i was was imagining it, but now that someone else has come forward, there might have been a change.

BTW, I went from 5.6 & I did not feel it with that version. 5.8 came in yesterday morning.

Anyone notice that with 5.6 the red part of the compass arrow points to the exact opposite of where it should (in other words, if you're going due south, the red part of the pointer points north). Does this get fixed in 5.8?

4.5 to 5.8 (1.49.22) yesterday. Ran into an oddity. I took the update during the day yesterday. After about 30 minutes, I checked on the car and it looked like it was done - the release notes were displayed. There was a "Car needs Service" message on the small screen. It stayed there at least 10 minutes and I called Tesla. They suggested the update wasn't complete and were right, it went away.

Haven't read the whole thread but I had 5.6 and got the clock for 5.8 (.22) earlier today. Installed it and all is well. I can also say that the annoying 3-second lag from when you plugged the car in until it locked and the ring turned blue has been fixed. It's back to how it was in 4.5.

- - - Updated - - -

Dual climate control seems to have disappeared
I would reboot your center screen - works fine on my car.

Last edited:
Regen has definitely gone a little limp. Had to tap the brakes much more often on my usual weekend route today.

On another note, supercharged at the Fremont factory today; started off at this:

duvepeby.jpg

I mean that after installing 5.8 this morning, my girlfriend and I couldn't set two different temps on the way home from lunch.. I noticed that the car also seemed to think it still had an update to install, so I let it install the update (turns out it was 5.8 again, same version too) but now I have dual climate again... weird.

I got two installs too of 5.8, 1.49.24 (posted up thread). The second install fixed a different minor bug (of displaying an incorrect image of the car in the About dialog).