Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPA rates Model S at 89MPGe with 85 kWh pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When they (Fueleconomy.gov - 2012 Tesla Model S) say
Cost to Drive 25 Miles $1.14

what cost/kWh are they using? They don't seem to say.

Yep, they do, leftmost column:
Screen Shot 2012-06-20 at 19.34.50 .png

The 40 kWh Model S should have about 120 mile range.?

It appears as if this extrapolation assumes equal weight for the 40 kwh car as the 85 kwh car. However, the 40 kwh car should be significantly lighter and may therefore receive an EPA rating significantly higher than 120 miles per charge. Of the three Model S cars its lighter weight and inability to accelerate as quickly may also lead it to receive the highest MPGe of the three. It will be very interesting to see the real numbers.

It appears as if this extrapolation assumes equal weight for the 40 kwh car as the 85 kwh car. However, the 40 kwh car should be significantly lighter and may therefore receive an EPA rating significantly higher than 120 miles per charge. Of the three Model S cars its lighter weight and inability to accelerate as quickly may also lead it to receive the highest MPGe of the three. It will be very interesting to see the real numbers.
The lighter weight of the 40 kWh S might help with city economy, but I wouldn't expect to see a significant difference in highway economy. Limited power certainly won't come into play at all in the EPA tests. Only a tiny fraction of peak power is used for the tests.

I don't want to get too far off topic here, but isn't that really "unfair", given that MPG is tank to wheel?

Edit: I mean in a sense when comparing to an ICE.
Comparing to an ICE car, the consumer wants the comparison of pump to wheels against wall to wheels. You pay for gas at the pump; you pay for electricity at the wall. Another way of thinking of it is that charging losses are within the car, therefore are part of the car's consumption. From a cost-to-operate standpoint, this makes sense. I've always used kWh at the wall when stating miles per kWh, as it does not require an efficiency conversion factor when going from that to cost per mile for "fuel."

For everyone stressing about the "horrible" 89 MPGe of the Model S - how about a comparison to the Fisker Karma?

You know - the car similar in exterior dimensions to the Model S, yet much smaller inside - which only musters 52 MPGe and 64 kWh / 100 miles.

All of a sudden 89 MPGe and 38 kWh / 100 miles looks really good when you're comparing something closer to apples to apples...

I would be interested to know at what rate the EPA (or contracted lab) charged the Model S at; as has been shown with the Roadster, there is an ideal charge rate that minimizes the charging losses. It probably won't move the needle much if the EPA charged at the most inefficient rate (110v), however if they did, then I can take comfort knowing some improvement in the mpg-e can be done simply by charging at 240v instead.

I would be interested to know at what rate the EPA (or contracted lab) charged the Model S at; as has been shown with the Roadster, there is an ideal charge rate that minimizes the charging losses. It probably won't move the needle much if the EPA charged at the most inefficient rate (110v), however if they did, then I can take comfort knowing some improvement in the mpg-e can be done simply by charging at 240v instead.

Elon actually did say during the last conference call that Tesla was going to try to get that number raised by making some tweaks to the charger or connector or something like that. I don't remember exactly what.

I don't quite understand the math here.

If it's true that it gets 265 miles with an 85 kwh pack, then that translates into 265/85 = 3.11 miles per kwh. 1 gallon of gas has 33.7 kwh of energy, so the MPGe should be 33.7 x 3.11 = 105 MPGe, no?

That's how the Fisker's EPA numbers shake out... 32 mile range on 20 kwh, 32/20 = 1.6 miles per kwh. 1 gallon of gas has 33.7, so MPGe for Fisker is 33.7 x 1.6 = 54 MPGe (close to its 'official' 52MPGe rating).

What am I missing?

Someone already explained in this thread, that the MPGe takes into account charging inefficiencies, while the driving range of the car is independent of that.

I don't quite understand the math here.

If it's true that it gets 265 miles with an 85 kwh pack, then that translates into 265/85 = 3.11 miles per kwh. 1 gallon of gas has 33.7 kwh of energy, so the MPGe should be 33.7 x 3.11 = 105 MPGe, no?

That's how the Fisker's EPA numbers shake out... 32 mile range on 20 kwh, 32/20 = 1.6 miles per kwh. 1 gallon of gas has 33.7, so MPGe for Fisker is 33.7 x 1.6 = 54 MPGe (close to its 'official' 52MPGe rating).

What am I missing?

Typically the manufacturer runs the numbers them selves and submits them to the EPA. The EPA lab only verifies a small fraction of the vehicles on the market each year. Not sure if the Model S was actually tested by the EPA or not. But given the scenario you can pretty much guarantee that Tesla will have chosen the most efficient charging rate to present the Model S in the best possible light.

Elon actually did say during the last conference call that Tesla was going to try to get that number raised by making some tweaks to the charger or connector or something like that. I don't remember exactly what.

Yes during annual shareholders call he was saying they might be able to get more than 89 MPGe if they could improve charging efficiency.