Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Plaid rated range displayed is 347 vs EPA 359

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Already being discussed in the delivery thread and a few others. Thought this deserved it's own topic.

2021-2023 MSPs had a rated range of 396 with a wh/mile constant of 244.6. The new EPA rating of 359 should be using a constant of 270 wh/mile but 279 is used instead making the displayed rated range at 100% 347 miles.

This is not an issue with the battery. My new MSP battery is displaying 96.9 kWh Nominal Full Pack which is normal for a brand new 99.4 kWh hour battery.

So either it's just a bug and they're using the wrong constant, or their actual EPA rated range is 347 and they're incorrectly stating the EPA rated range on their website. I'd like to think it's the former.

Reactions: SucreTease
Already being discussed in the delivery thread and a few others. Thought this deserved it's own topic.

2021-2023 MSPs had a rated range of 396 with a wh/mile constant of 244.6. The new EPA rating of 359 should be using a constant of 270 wh/mile but 279 is used instead making the displayed rated range at 100% 347 miles.

This is not an issue with the battery. My new MSP battery is displaying 96.9 kWh Nominal Full Pack which is normal for a brand new 99.4 kWh hour battery.

So either it's just a bug and they're using the wrong constant, or their actual EPA rated range is 347 and they're incorrectly stating the EPA rated range on their website. I'd like to think it's the former.
Have you asked Tesla about this? They should have some kind of response for such a big discrepancy.

Have you asked Tesla about this? They should have some kind of response for such a big discrepancy.
“Within spec”

In any case I suppose it’s possible it’s a bug. Pretty easy to fat finger 279 instead of 270. I do find it laughable that 279 even could be considered realistic. Even when driving at 55 mph to make it to a supercharger, I was seeing around 315

• Funny
Reactions: ran349

Yes. Their response is it's normal to lose range in the first few months. This was still their response even though I started the conversation with my battery has full capacity and has not lost any range. There's literally nobody at a level we can interact with that can understand the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: ran349
“Within spec”

In any case I suppose it’s possible it’s a bug. Pretty easy to fat finger 279 instead of 270. I do find it laughable that 279 even could be considered realistic. Even when driving at 55 mph to make it to a supercharger, I was seeing around 315

What's laughable is the old value of 244.6. I got 291 driving home 132 miles with the temp between 50 and 55 pouring down rain including a few slightly scary hydroplaning episodes with very gusty wind. Compared to what my previous P85D got in similar situations, I fully expect to see mid 250s when driving home at 75F with no wind and dry.

My efficiency went up after a few months of driving. First year was 240's now this year high 220's.

Average over 22 months 13k miles 239 wh/mi

Climate off, right lane, never in rain/snow, follow/draft trucks, modulate the pedal to minimize Regen, and the 15% penalty for same.

On a more normal highway, round trip of 250 miles averaging 70 but with cross winds, got 255 Wh/mi.

Above is for a LR, not a Plaid, but curious why the new Plaid RR took a large hit. Could it be Tesla is taking a page from MB and Porsche, knowing these cars will be driven hard, and is deliberately understating the range to minimize warranty replacement due to degradation?

My average in my plaid so far is 380 lol. Sure I’m on 20” wheels, but that’s still considerably worse than what the 21s are rated for.

The trip planner with the wheel config set to 21s does tend to give a pretty accurate estimate wrt my arrival SoC etc

Yes. Their response is it's normal to lose range in the first few months. This was still their response even though I started the conversation with my battery has full capacity and has not lost any range. There's literally nobody at a level we can interact with that can understand the issue.
Any updates on this situation?
According to Tesla, you have about 3.3% degradation to your battery, which of course you know is BS.
I think there is a health check feature in your car that you can use to check your battery. I'm curious if you have tried that to see what it says.

Health check shows all fine. No further word from Tesla.
You need to drain the battery to 0 and back to 100% in service mode. Next time you get at low level say 10-15%, enter service mode and start a health check while plugged to level 1 home charger. Car will activate hvac to go to 0 and recharge to 100. Takes quite a few hours. Anything else doesn’t show correct degradation

Was the battery preconditioning?

You need to drain the battery to 0 and back to 100% in service mode. Next time you get at low level say 10-15%, enter service mode and start a health check while plugged to level 1 home charger. Car will activate hvac to go to 0 and recharge to 100. Takes quite a few hours. Anything else doesn’t show correct degradation

Folks. Read the first message. Nothing to do with the estimated range. The BMS is reporting 96.9 kWh of useable capacity which is the maximum possible capacity of a brand new current model 100 kwh battery (99.4 kwh of actual capacity when you include the buffer). If the capacity was less than that, then trying to coax it up by depleting it and charging it might be relevant. It's not in this case. The constant used to display rated range is supposed to be the EPA rated range of 270 wh/mile. Instead, the BMS is using 279. ALL brand new 2024 Model S Plaids will show 347 when charged to 100%.

Again, the issue is not the battery capacity and the battery is currently showing 0% degradation.

You're making a couple of categorical statements - like "ALL" (how many have reported that?) and also seem convinced it has nothing to do with the battery. You're probably right, but this BMS estimate thing that shows up - it needs to calibrate at various states of charge, so if you already charged to 100% and this displayed estimate bothers you, why not just do the full health test and then if it shows 100% and still shows 347 - submit your findings via a software or battery charge service request - there's a better chance it won't get rejected by the pre-filtering staff who probably get a lot of "why is my range not showing as expected" requests and are trained to discard them. At least you will have evidence to support your claim.

You're making a couple of categorical statements - like "ALL" (how many have reported that?) and also seem convinced it has nothing to do with the battery. You're probably right, but this BMS estimate thing that shows up - it needs to calibrate at various states of charge, so if you already charged to 100% and this displayed estimate bothers you, why not just do the full health test and then if it shows 100% and still shows 347 - submit your findings via a software or battery charge service request - there's a better chance it won't get rejected by the pre-filtering staff who probably get a lot of "why is my range not showing as expected" requests and are trained to discard them. At least you will have evidence to support your claim.

Have already done all of that. Tesla says the battery is fine. I had to do that in order for them to give me any response at all. So far only 3 have reported their rated range and it's been 347. Nobody with a 2024 Plaid has reported anything else.

Again, the batteries current 100% charged available capacity is 96.9 kwh which is exactly what a brand new battery in a 2023 Plaid said when it reported 396 miles. The BMS via the CANBUS is showing 279 wh / mile rather than 270. It's a software thing, not a battery degradation thing.

As more get their Plaids, they'll find this thread and report the same thing.

Have already done all of that. Tesla says the battery is fine. I had to do that in order for them to give me any response at all. So far only 3 have reported their rated range and it's been 347. Nobody with a 2024 Plaid has reported anything else.

Again, the batteries current 100% charged available capacity is 96.9 kwh which is exactly what a brand new battery in a 2023 Plaid said when it reported 396 miles. The BMS via the CANBUS is showing 279 wh / mile rather than 270. It's a software thing, not a battery degradation thing.

The old Teslas originally used a fixed buffer of 4 kWh. Now I believe they use a value that can vary with total battery capacity. I think it is now 4.5 % of nominal full pack. That would be about 4.36 kWh for your 96.9 kWh battery. What is your CANBUS buffer reading?

I know this is not related to your issue, but I just wonder if they are still doing that with the new cars.

Your car shows 347 miles with 100% charge with 19" wheels. I think that wheel size is a selected value in your car. If you change it to 21", does it change the rated miles to a lower value?

Last edited:

Funny, I just came back from looking at a 2022 MSP 21" with 15k miles on it. The SOC was 79 miles @ 25%. Is it still valid to extrapolate this to 316 miles @ 100%? I was pretty surprised to see that low a number, but just got on the Tesla site and see they show 320 miles with 21" tires. What I originally thought was 43 miles lost range in ~2 years, 15k miles now potentially looks like a lot less. I wish I could put my dongle on it to check for WOT count, capacity, etc, but it's a dealership, so no dice (at least so far, we'll see if they get more determined to sell it.

Does an MSP set to 21s show 320 or does it still show 347? Trying to figure out how much loss this one has or if I'm just worrying about it too much. Coming from our 2015 85D still with only 25 miles lost range, I'm hoping to see similar or better.

I notice the MSP doesn't have the rated/ideal toggle when setting the displayed range to miles. Is that a recent change?