Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2024 new range estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What it does have (or had) is the Creep/Roll/Hold features. Creep/Roll latch modes would definitely impact range testing.
"HAD". They removed it precisely because it will affect the EPA numbers.
chill, normal, and sport, modes that remain engaged when the car is turned off and back on. Best case and worst case are averaged. I doubt that sport mode was averaged in in previous EPA numbers.
This is actually a point in favor of the "different" battery sizes, which I broight earlier, since the Performance Model Y actually has sport mode while the LR AWD doesn't. Yet their range dropped by exactly the same %.

Under the new rules the sport mode must be tested by EPA too, which is definetly bringing the range down more on the Performance compared to the LRas the pedal line is more aggressive.

If it were up to me, range would be based on a "standard day", clearly defined in engineering, at 70mph. IMHO the time range really matters in when you're on a road trip, not daily trips at 45mph around town.
I've said this for years now and 100% agree range only matters on long trips. EPA needs a 70mph highway range test. Nobody cares that your EV can do 300 "city" miles.. as nobody is driving 300 miles in a city.

Furthermore, cities are already packed with DC fast chargers.. there are 100's to choose from in most major cities, dozens in smaller cities. After 3 years of EV ownership, the only time I've gotten worried about being able to make it to a charger.. is on a long trip.. and long trips almost always mean highway speeds around 70mph.

Reactions: jbarnum and E90alex
Model 3 did not change because Highland has not launched in the US yet and it is expected this quarter.
Model 3 Highland just released with more range than its predicessor. The LR increased by 8 miles. Both Highland LR and SR batteries not made in the US and don't qualify for the 7500$.

Any other arguments to pull out?!

've said this for years now and 100% agree range only matters on long trips. EPA needs a 70mph highway range test. Nobody cares that your EV can do 300 "city" miles.. as nobody is driving 300 miles in a city.
EPA has a 65mph "highway" test and lists the figures separately on each EPA document under "highway range". Just look the official gov docs up if that is "what you care about". There are also tons of videos of people doing 70mph tests in different conditions. Why do people just like to complain instead of doing their homework?

EPA has a 65mph "highway" test and lists the figures separately on each EPA document under "highway range".

Because the EPA results are still wildly inaccurate for highway speeds and unpredictable depending on brand and/or model.

Why do people ignore factual real-world results?

(moderator note)

This is a reminder that we allow disagreements but not personal insults etc. I am making this reminder publicly, because I dont intend to make individual reminders to people who are not following that rule.

Debate = yes, personal attack = no.

Now that I have reminded people in this thread, if I feel I need to take some other action it will be more than a reminder.

EDIT:

After reviewing this thread, I have decided to lock it. I may or may not re open it later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.