Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model Y LR (Austin build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering buying a 2024 MYLR.
As far as I can tell (please correct me if you have proof) the only difference between the Fremont and Austin cars at the moment is that Austin built cars have the Gigacast body.
I live in Northern California, in an area with terrible roads. Does anyone know if the Gigacast body is less likely to develop noises over time from being driven on rough roads? Are there any other immediate comfort or noise benefits from the Gigacast version?
There is an Austin-built vehicle with the specs I want in SoCal, but I’d have to fly down to pick it up and drive back 7 hours (they will not deliver). Plus, if I get there and there are QC issues with the car I will have wasted considerable time+money.
Grateful for any thoughts, especially those backed up by facts.

As far as I can tell (please correct me if you have proof) the only difference between the Fremont and Austin cars at the moment is that Austin built cars have the Gigacast body.
Not any more. Only the MY AWD, not currently available, had front and rear megacast to accommodate the structural 4680 battery pack. The Cybertruck has now taken over that assembly line with 4680 structural battery pack. Austin now builds MY with same 2170 battery pack as Fremont, so it has the same structure/design to accommodate the 2170 battery pack.

I live in Northern California, in an area with terrible roads. Does anyone know if the Gigacast body is less likely to develop noises over time from being driven on rough roads? Are there any other immediate comfort or noise benefits from the Gigacast version?
There is an Austin-built vehicle with the specs I want in SoCal, but I’d have to fly down to pick it up and drive back 7 hours (they will not deliver). Plus, if I get there and there are QC issues with the car I will have wasted considerable time+money.
Grateful for any thoughts, especially those backed up by facts.
There IS NO DIFFERENCE of substance between Fremont and Austin-built cars.
I don't know where this urban legend comes from.

There are however MODEL DIFFERENCES, but ALL CURRENTLY FOR SALE USE ONLY REAR MEGACASTS
MY-RWD uses LFP batteries and is 2 wheel drive (RWD), standard suspension. It may or may not allow a reduced tax credit, based on the battery source.
MYLR uses Panasonic 2170 batteries and is all wheel drive, standard suspension. Full tax credit.
MYP uses Panasonic 2170 batteries and is all wheel drive, performance suspension (lowered) and more varied wheel/tire packages. Full tax credit.

There has been a Model MY-AWD produced sporadically but isn't listed for new orders currently (may be available for purchase on the 'inventory car' list)
This model uses 4680 batteries and uses FRONT & REAR MEGACASTS with a special structural battery pack that joins with the castings.
It's a modestly lower range (279), standard suspension and wheels/tires. Full tax credit.

MY new February 2024 Austin-built Y LR has only rear casting. It is the first Tesla I have bought, out of four, that had precisely zero defect of any type. The rattle I thought I heard was the passenger set belt hitting the seat. A bit of padding and that stopped.

I'm too new to have reliable energy use. I can say the audio seems better than my Model S Plaid, the structural integrity is excellent and it's better in every way to the 2011 Model YP that I drove extensively a couple years ago (I never owned it).

Both my spouse and I are surprised pleasantly. Once the refresh comes it should be even better but this one will be with me for quite some time.
does your audio system have a sub-woofer and a tweeter in the middle?

This is not correct. There are no Model Ys being produced with LFP for the US market (though Tesla has, as documented on this forum, installed an LFP as a warranty replacement for battery pack).
WRONG - see links on this very website. Tesla has used non-US batteries on the MY-RWD and has less tax credit as a result

WRONG - see links on this very website. Tesla has used non-US batteries on the MY-RWD and has less tax credit as a result

This is verifiably false: the RWD 2024s are still getting the full tax credit and the thread you referenced specifically says that LFP batteries are *not* being used for US cars…LFP is a specific battery chemistry and it’s not in use for any US cars aside from the RWD Model 3.