Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model Y LR (Austin build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about buying an inventory 2024 Model Y Dual Motor Long Range (built in Austin).
What are the differences between that and a Fremont car?
Jack pad differences?
Would it have the gigacast frame?
Which type of battery cells would it have?
How's the recent quality coming out of Austin compared to Fremont?
Anything else I should know?

All 2024 US-built Model Ys regardless of origin have front and rear castings and 2170-based NCA batteries. No idea about jack pad differences but I’m very satisfied with the build quality of our 2024 Austin-built LR and wouldn’t hesitate to get another.
Jack pad differences was because of different battery pack for MY AWD. The other MY have the same battery pack, so no differences in jack pad.

• Informative
Reactions: jddaigle and Inside
All 2024 US-built Model Ys regardless of origin have front and rear castings and 2170-based NCA batteries. No idea about jack pad differences but I’m very satisfied with the build quality of our 2024 Austin-built LR and wouldn’t hesitate to get another.
Sorry, but that isn't accurate I'm afraid. Model Y with 2170 doesn't have the front casting, at least my sample size of one was built in Jan 2024 and doesn't have a cast front (Model Y LR AWD). Does have cast rear though.

I took delivery of Fremont built 2024 Y RWD last week in 🇨🇦
LFP batteries
Matrix headlights
No UWB key.

Don’t know how to check for structural castings, but I believe I have them in the rear and not in the front. Is it as simple as looking underneath with the flashlight?
Tessie shows battery pack as 60.1 kWh, I thought it was a little bigger than that, but this is probably useable capacity. I have not driven or charged much yet. Tessie also shows 0.3% degradation, as delivered brand new.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
Yes it’s Fremont, has an F in the VIN. Yes it’s LFP, says charge to 100%
So then the Models Y and 3 RWD variants appear to be in alignment (which is what Elon had said they would do and which was expected in the 2023 model by many people as well) unless that car is only being made for export (would they do that?). Congrats on the new car. I’m curious, what kind of consumption are you getting currently per mile?

FALSE
Only MY-AWD variants out of Austin ever had both F+R castings, and all those had 4680 batteries.
MYLR VARIANT ONLY EVER HAD 2170 batteries and ONLY REAR CASTINGS. It never has had front castings. Whether made in Fremont or in Austin, exact same car.

Reactions: Kmartyn
So then the Models Y and 3 RWD variants appear to be in alignment (which is what Elon had said they would do and which was expected in the 2023 model by many people as well) unless that car is only being made for export (would they do that?). Congrats on the new car. I’m curious, what kind of consumption are you getting currently per mile?
Limited data only had the vehicle briefly, before it went to detailer for ceramic coating. Get it back tomorrow. Tessie shows 190-200 wh/km. Sorry for the different units. Imperial measurements long gone from 🇨🇦

Reactions: mborkow
MY new February 2024 Austin-built Y LR has only rear casting. It is the first Tesla I have bought, out of four, that had precisely zero defect of any type. The rattle I thought I heard was the passenger set belt hitting the seat. A bit of padding and that stopped.

I'm too new to have reliable energy use. I can say the audio seems better than my Model S Plaid, the structural integrity is excellent and it's better in every way to the 2011 Model YP that I drove extensively a couple years ago (I never owned it).

Both my spouse and I are surprised pleasantly. Once the refresh comes it should be even better but this one will be with me for quite some time.

Reactions: mborkow and Kmartyn
MY new February 2024 Austin-built Y LR has only rear casting. It is the first Tesla I have bought, out of four, that had precisely zero defect of any type. The rattle I thought I heard was the passenger set belt hitting the seat. A bit of padding and that stopped.

I'm too new to have reliable energy use. I can say the audio seems better than my Model S Plaid, the structural integrity is excellent and it's better in every way to the 2011 Model YP that I drove extensively a couple years ago (I never owned it).

Both my spouse and I are surprised pleasantly. Once the refresh comes it should be even better but this one will be with me for quite some time.
I heard a rattling in the passenger area on my Feb 2024 Austin built YLR. My son figured out it was the seat belt hitting the seat...lol. What did you use to stop the noise?

Reactions: unk45
I heard a rattling in the passenger area on my Feb 2024 Austin built YLR. My son figured out it was the seat belt hitting the seat...lol. What did you use to stop the noise?
I used two soft plastic 'stick on' pieces from a bathroom set, one on the exterior post, one on the seat side. Noise stopped instantly. Almost any sticky plastic piece on each side of the passenger seat belt should work well as a hopefully permanent solution. FWIW, those same pieces I have used for some years to stop annoying rattling. FWIW, the J1772 connector which i used regularly also needs some protection if you want to keep it in one of the interior pockets as I do. I put mine in a small bag (the one I use is from an airline amenity kit bag).

I just got a 2024 Austin build to replace my poor 2023 Fremont build that someone hit.

Overall I'm quite happy with it, seems quieter than the 2023. The brake pedal rattle is gone, less inverter whine, quieter all around really. Jack pucks still fit. My only gripe is it has the "bad" cargo cover with two folding joints instead of three. Debating whether to pick up the other one.