Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek reports that Tesla to offer bird's eye view with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars currently have fantastic rear view cameras IMO. Birdseye 360 is premium feature. Cameras were NEVER positioned to accomplish this, I'm excited to see what magic Tesla might offer

so its not exactly a premium feature no matter how you see it (cheap cars have this) - but it IS a safety feature and should be patched to all cars, regardless of how premium this feature is.

so its not exactly a premium feature no matter how you see it (cheap cars have this) - but it IS a safety feature and should be patched to all cars, regardless of how premium this feature is.

"... no matter how you see it..."
How about how much of the auto industry sees it? There are many examples, but here's just one. The 2020 Nissan Altima comes in the following 5 trims:
  • Altima S
  • Altima SR
  • Altima SV
  • Altima SL
  • Altima Platinum

Now, ALL trims include remote start, eight-way power-adjustable driver's seat, 8" infotainment compatible with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Siri Eyes Free, plus Bluetooth capability, also an auxiliary jack, both two USB and two USB-C ports, tire pressure monitoring system and rearview camera, automatic emergency braking and Intelligent Forward Collision Warning which uses x-ray vision.

Care to guess which trims their 360 Birdseye comes on? Only the top Platinum trim.

360 birdseye is still considered a premium option by the auto industry.

My understanding is all the visualization stuff requires the FSD package.

So it's not surprising that this visualization would also require the FSD package. Where it requires not just HW3 (the FSD computer), but also that the customer paid for FSD.

As to hungry for money I agree in a sense that they want FSD to be a compelling option for people to get. So new options that require the HW3/FSD computer will only be available to people who paid for FSD.
We got the side camera views for free.
And in vehicle replay of dashcam/sentry for free.

The challenge is it's probably written and optimized for the latest HW3 so for those on HW2.5 wouldn't be compatible.

By "vector-space" I'm assuming it'll look somewhat like the 3D visualizations we saw for FSD on autonomy day which may require the more advanced v3 hardware.

The challenge is it's probably written and optimized for the latest HW3 so for those on HW2.5 wouldn't be compatible.

By "vector-space" I'm assuming it'll look somewhat like the 3D visualizations we saw for FSD on autonomy day which may require the more advanced v3 hardware.

it would 100% require HW3, since only HW3 is capable of processing all frames from all cameras in real time, which is what you need for an all-around single view of the world.

That said- the cameras physical locations can't be changed in software- so there's still going to be blind spots close/low around the car.

It can potentially guess at that based on what it saw earlier in cases where it DID see it earlier, but there'll still be tight angles around big SUVs and such where no camera ever saw a specific spot to provide any guess to fill in.... and it'll still be a guess as far as anything that might move in the meantime.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Anxious and waiting.

I hope you are patient and good at managing anxiety then! Could be a while and even longer before it works.

I don't know how the ultrasonics on the 3 work at short range, but on the S they are pretty useless. Below around 10-12" you get no additional warning, and in my experience the warning beep and STOP message often come after you have passed the close object.

To be useful this system needs accuracy for close manoeuvres.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I hope you are patient and good at managing anxiety then! Could be a while and even longer before it works.

I don't know how the ultrasonics on the 3 work at short range, but on the S they are pretty useless. Below around 10-12" you get no additional warning, and in my experience the warning beep and STOP message often come after you have passed the close object.

To be useful this system needs accuracy for close manoeuvres.

Physical limitations of the system. With the sensors so far apart, objects start disappearing into the blind spots between the sensors somewhere in there. Most other cars are worse, and they’d need a lot more sensors to manage closer.

With the sensors so far apart, objects start disappearing into the blind spots

That may be the reason (I know how some ultrasonics work but not specifically on Tesla.) If they work in pairs, (tx / rx) then I can see there would be a minimum sensing distance dependent on the sensor positioning geometry. But if an individual sensor can sense below 10" and they work as separate sensors, then I don't get why you pass by say a close wall or bollard and get the STOP warning after you pass the closest point.

picture is real, it's just not native to tesla.

Given the Chinese language I wonder if it's from the Xpeng that Bjorn reviewed - it had a birdseye system (the rest of the system is very much like a Model S).

Personally will be disappointed if this doesn't come to base HW3 cars - it's not an automated driving feature - it's very much an aid to a manual driver.

It probably needs FSD computer hardware for this to be implemented. The way this is implemented it obviously has to store video/images over a period of time of about 5 minutes and stitch them together then render them on screen in real time. Perhaps 2.5 computer hardware isn't fast enough to do that processing in real time, (just like the 2.5 hardware limitation of not being able to recognizing street signs and orange cones and being able to render that on screen.). I'm happy for the additional functionality and I'm happy I bought FSD during one of those fire sales last year.

Care to guess which trims their 360 Birdseye comes on? Only the top Platinum trim.

360 birdseye is still considered a premium option by the auto industry.

Same when we had our Enclave. Only on the Premium and higher trims, or an add-on for the lower. Lots of other safety features (collision warning, blind spot detection etc) on the lower trims, but the 360-surround view was only top shelf.

And to be frank, is one of only two things we miss on our 3 & X both. It was extremely well implemented. The other was having the rear camera display integrated in the rear view mirror. Sure, both 3 & X can show it on the MCU display, but it's really super in the mirror. Worth trying, if you haven't driven a vehicle like that before.

Reactions: insaneoctane