Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Installed Update v2023.26.1—Camera View On TESLA App Is A HUGE Disappointment!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair points.
I disagree with you on point #2.
The image, I felt, made it appear that this was the 360-degree camera view. (SEE PHOTO from the Release Notes)

I’m familiar with the app. I still think that image is misleading. We disagree—IIWII
It isn't misleading if you look at the words above or below the image.

2ed7e029-f836-4ea9-949a-b68d9e925c86.jpeg

No, you need a front bumper camera to complete a 360 view useful for parking.
I’d be happy if they stinched together the side repeaters and the rear camera at least. It’s pretty good right now backing up and they could use it when going forward as well. I don’t really need a front camera, I mean I can see for myself in front of me for crying out loud. It’s the sides and rear that are harder to make out.

Reactions: gtae07
Thank you for weighing in, but your explanation makes no sense to me. Are you suggesting that FORD (or some other legacy auto-maker) has a patent on the very idea of stitching together multiple live camera feeds from around the vehicle? You can’t patent something like that!

The USPTO doesn't agree.

Hollywood uses many camera techniques to film scenes and sequences, and none of those techniques are patented. How could something like this be patented?
because a patent would be specific to automotive and specific use cases

Reactions: lensovet
I’d be happy if they stinched together the side repeaters and the rear camera at least. It’s pretty good right now backing up and they could use it when going forward as well. I don’t really need a front camera, I mean I can see for myself in front of me for crying out loud. It’s the sides and rear that are harder to make out.
It is amazing what you can't see looking ahead. Bumper cameras would really be useful. This week I stopped my husband from driving forward out of a parking spot when there was no car in front of us because he had forgotten there was a concrete sidewalk between the two spots. In winter, in Canada, ice snow banks can be just as damaging and aren't as obvious.

Of course, those of us who took Driver's Ed know we are to walk around a car completely before driving off, but that doesn't mean we actually do that. Especially,in a store parking lot, where what is around you is anything but static, we are looking more for cross traffic. But toddlers who have broken free from an adult aren't visible at the front of the car.

Reactions: beachmiles
We already received the vector based 360-degere view that Elon said they would provide. (They never said that there was going to be a camera image based 360-degree view.)

So if you are waiting for that it will likely be a very long time.
This is the correct response. Elon/Tesla never promised camera based birds eye view, because it's not possible with the current camera position, but they have promised and delivered vector based 360-degree view which does render curbs for FSD Beta.

That's as close as we will get. Even with the front bumper camera on the CT, there won't be a true birds-eye 360 with the repeater camera positions and angle.

For whatever reason, Tesla doesn't feel this is a necessary feature. Whether that's because of a patent or not, who knows.

2023.26.8 Live View via Tesla app.

When using the four camera view within the Tesla app (when the front, rear, left and right cameras are viewed at the same time the left and right camera views are displayed as mirrored (each image is reversed.) This is not the expected view, i.e. the charge port appears closest to the right side of the left camera image when the charge port should appear on the left side of the left camera view. The same for the right side camera (the displayed image is reversed.) The individual camera views (front, rear, left and right) are not reversed. I think this is a bug.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4 and THEbuz
2023.26.8 Live View via Tesla app.

When using the four camera view within the Tesla app (when the front, rear, left and right cameras are viewed at the same time the left and right camera views are displayed as mirrored (each image is reversed.) This is not the expected view, i.e. the charge port appears closest to the right side of the left camera image when the charge port should appear on the left side of the left camera view. The same for the right side camera (the displayed image is reversed.) The individual camera views (front, rear, left and right) are not reversed. I think this is a bug.
Not sure if it’s a bug or that they wanted it to look like one massive rear view mirror (for the rear and fender cams). Either way, I agree with you that I’d rather see it flipped. 👍🏻