Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Perception - The best way to view your TeslaCam events (Android, iOS, iPadOS, macOS!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Tesla (Model Y Long Range) in September last year - it’s a great car, the autopilot has been amazing on the long drives, and the power of the car is just insane! One thing not so insane though, is the in-car dashcam viewer. After an incident at the start of the year on the way back from the vets, I found there were things that could be improved within the dashcam experience.

After many many months of carefully building, experimenting, and iterating, I’m really happy to announce that Perception is now available on iOS, Android, iPadOS, and macOS 🎉

‎Perception - Sentry Viewer

Just plug in the USB drive to your iPhone / Android / iPad / Mac device, select the USB drive and all of your events are displayed. View, store, and share events with just a few taps. Want to share without sending many video files? You can export a merged video file from the app in just a couple of seconds.

However, there’s still more to do! I really welcome feedback and direction from all of you on TMC, and I’m happy to be guided as to what you would like from Perception in the future.

Perception is free for 7 days - no sign up or commitment required (I hate when apps require you to sign up to a plan for the trial to start, so none of that here!). Perception Premium is £19.99 ($19.99), or £1.99 ($1.99) monthly. If you’re not 100% happy with what you pay for, reach out via the contact form in-app and you’ll be refunded, no questions asked.

I’m open to any and all feedback, feature requests, and questions - everything is welcomed and appreciated. Perception is still in early development, and there’s lots still to do.

I’ll post helpful and informative updates in this thread for those keen to hear when new updates are available.

If you have any questions / feedback, I’d love to hear it. For any issues with the app, the most direct way to reach out is via the in-app contact form, but feel free to let me know here too.

Download for iPhone, Android, iPad, Apple Silicon Macs here!
Website

2_ 1290w_6.7in.jpg
3_ 1290w_6.7in.jpg
7_ 1290w_6.7in.jpg
4_1290w_6.7.png

Last edited:
Release v1.1.4 - out this week!
  • Smoother event zooming! We've made a few tweaks to make the zoomed video nicer to interact with
  • Improved Perception Premium onboarding! We've made it easier to see what you get when you sign up for Premium.
  • Release notes! When you open Perception after an update, we'll show you the newest features to keep you in the loop. These are also visible from the Settings screen. Feel free to suggest new features you'd like to see!
  • Improved Guidance! We've added some small instructions to Perception, to make it clearer how to add and store events.
  • Clearer trials! Needing to sign-up to a subscription to start a trial sucks - so we don't do that here. We've made it clearer that your Perception trial starts when the app is first launched, and that no payment is needed to continue. You've got 7 days to try out Perception and get the most out of it!
There's some really cool features in the works right now, and I'm so excited to bring them to everyone over the course of the next few months. If you've got any feedback, or a feature you'd love to see, let me know!

@Mikecm1 this is definitely an interesting idea and we've been considering it! I think as one of the key features is exporting events as potential evidence, I wonder what the legal implications would be of using an AI-enhanced video that has perhaps 'added' detail in. One to consider for sure!

Perception's latest update is now out! 🎉

New in v1.2.0:

• Support for the Recent Clips folder! You can now view all footage stored on your USB drive in Perception.

• Improved event type information! We now display the event type clearly on the event card, and have made internal changes to better determine the event type.

• Various bug fixes and other improvements! We've been busy behind-the-scenes making the little improvements that make Perception feel so great to use.

And as Apple took a while to review it... v1.3.0 is almost ready for submission too! There's a really exciting pipeline of features that I'll be focusing on over the next few months - I can't wait for everyone to have access to them!

https://perception.vision

And we're now live with v1.3.0!

New in v1.3.0:

• Support for the Recent Clips folder! You can now view all footage stored on your USB drive in Perception.

• Filter events! Find the event you're looking for more quickly, by filtering them by Saved, Sentry, and Recent.

• Select multiple events at once! Found a few events you want to bin? Simply select them all and delete them together! Support for more multi-event management features coming soon.

• Improved event type information! We now display the event type clearly on the event card, and have made internal changes to more accurately determine the event type.

I'm so happy to finally have Recent Clips support added - this has been a very common request! I'll be adding the ability to 'convert' the RecentClips folder to an event within Perception in a future version, alongside storing the RecentClips folder in Perception.

Multi-select is incredibly powerful and I've got no idea why I didn't add it from the start! Paired with filtering, it's now incredibly easy to manage large quantities of events in one go.

v1.4.0 will be out in the next week or so - with support for different playback speeds and some refreshed UI. Got something you'd like added? Let me know! 😄

Happy to announce v1.4.0 is now available to download!

• Custom playback speeds! Select between 0.25x to 3x, and view your events in a way that suits you.

• Refreshed Share Screen! We've rebuilt the Share screen, in preparation for future expansion & to make it clearer which event is being shared.

• Filter events! Find the event you're looking for more quickly, by filtering them by Saved, Sentry, and Recent.

• Select multiple events at once! Found a few events you want to bin? Simply select them all and delete them together! Support for more multi-event management features coming soon.

• Easily reset the player layout! If you've shuffled the cameras around, shake your iPhone to reset it back to the initial layout (on iPad & Mac, tap the 'Reset Views' button instead, please don't shake your iPad or Mac).

• Improved event type information! We now display the event type clearly on the event card, and have made internal changes to more accurately determine the event type.

Being able to select different playback speeds is IMO a game-changer - some of the events can take a while to review, so being able to put them on 3x is really helpful! But after spending so much time watching at 3x speed during development, 1x feels like slow motion... 😅

v1.5.0 is now in development, with the primary aim of refreshing a few screens & making some behind-the-scenes improvements before some larger upgrades are made in preparation of supporting Android ✨

And right on schedule... v1.5.0 is out!

• A new Helpful Guide! We've added some information to help you use Perception in the best way possible.
• Refreshed Metadata Screen! We've rebuilt the Metadata screen, in preparation for metadata editing in a future version.
• Refreshed Settings Screen! We've restructured the Settings screen, to make it easier to find what you're looking for.

Now... time to prepare for Android! 🎉

Reactions: KArnold
It's been a while since the last update - I thought I'd share some updates of what we're doing behind the scenes!

On October 26th, we released v1.6.0. This contained purely behind-the-scenes improvements and updates to unlock the path to Android support.

We're now currently working to release v1.7.0 - this release will massively speed up the event import process, and allow those of you importing 1k+ events at once to also enjoy Perception!

With v1.7.0 out, Android support will arrive shortly after. I've had some people reach out privately to ask - if you'd like to join the Android release waiting list or try out the pre-release version, drop me a DM and I'll add you to the list!

Oh - we've also updated the Perception site as well - check it out! Perception - Tesla Dashcam Viewer

Reactions: Transformer
v1.7.0 is now available to download from the App Store! 🎉

With a greatly improved import process, you can now add events quicker than before! We should also now handle large imports much more smoothly, so those of you importing thousands of events at once can enjoy Perception too!

I'm now solely focusing on adding support for Android! I've had a few more people reach out for the Android release waiting list & to try out the pre-release version. My DMs remain open for those!

Check out Perception here: Perception - Tesla Dashcam Viewer

Instagram Post Image (9).jpg

Last edited:
v1.8.0 is now available to download from the App Store! 🎉

This release mainly adds support for our holidays sale, with 25% off Perception Premium when purchased annually! Thanks to those who purchased before I even had time to write this post!

Good news for Android too - we're ~50% through the work to add support and I'm looking to get the first builds to those who have asked to join the beta within the next couple of weeks.

Check out Perception here: Perception - Tesla Dashcam Viewer

Hey @ken830! We'd love to have support for network drives & TeslaUSB (I'd also like to get set up with it myself, every time I go to work on Perception I find the USB is still in the car!). What NAS system are you using?

I use Synology for my TeslaUSB.

I tried out Perception - congratulations, it's a lovely app, but there are a few features that made me go back to my previous reviewing app (Focus Dashcam viewer) - though I may return!

- Price - $90 for one-off is quite steep (Focus is $15)
- Jump to event marker didn't seem available
- I could access the Teslacam folder by using a network share or Synology Drive on my Mac, but that was greyed out on my ios devices.

Areas that would make me leap at it - forgive me if I missed a feature you've already got.

- Much lower price
- Optimised interface depending on ios / mac. Scrubbing and play-on behaviour was a little strange on mac. Especially as there was no jump-to-event button.
- Event cropping
- Customisable video export camera arrangement
- One click / customisable export to my own NAS / Cloud Storage / iPhotos etc.
- Easy calendar view

I use Synology for my TeslaUSB.

I tried out Perception - congratulations, it's a lovely app, but there are a few features that made me go back to my previous reviewing app (Focus Dashcam viewer) - though I may return!

- Price - $90 for one-off is quite steep (Focus is $15)
- Jump to event marker didn't seem available
- I could access the Teslacam folder by using a network share or Synology Drive on my Mac, but that was greyed out on my ios devices.

Areas that would make me leap at it - forgive me if I missed a feature you've already got.

- Much lower price
- Optimised interface depending on ios / mac. Scrubbing and play-on behaviour was a little strange on mac. Especially as there was no jump-to-event button.
- Event cropping
- Customisable video export camera arrangement
- One click / customisable export to my own NAS / Cloud Storage / iPhotos etc.
- Easy calendar view
Hey @Deftly - firstly thank you so much for this feedback! It's incredibly helpful and will help me and the team to prioritise some of the upcoming features. It's really appreciated!

Thank you for mentioning the price, am I right in saying that's in AUD? In GBP it's £59.99 - we're actively trying to balance on the line of representing the value of Perception & covering costs, whilst also representing great value for money to drivers. We're continuing to tweak this to get the balance right - for context our aim was for the lifetime purchase to be the equivalent of supporting Perception for 3 years. Happy to hear your thoughts on where this should sit!

Great to hear you were able to use your NAS on Mac - I need to get one soon and try it out! We're looking to add NAS support in one of the upcoming versions in the new year.

We're also looking to deliver some of those other features in the new year, including:

- Better scrubbing / play-on behaviour - it feels clunky right now, a slight side-effect of how we have to take all of the video files, play them in sequence, and work out where the overall video playback 'time' sits within the individual video files to make the playback seamless. We think we've got a better approach for this now (as the underlying code is very close to what I originally wrote in January!), so we'll make this nicer soon!
- Event cropping - I've been wanting to work on this for months and we've had designs prepared - happy to share a sneak preview in DMs if you'd like to give feedback! The feature is on hold until the scrubbing behaviour is improved as the crop function will need the scrubber to work better than it does now.
- Calendar view - I was speaking with our designer about this the other week! We're looking to add a calendar view and a map view to provide some different ways of finding your events.
- One click export - we have an export function, available as part of Perception Premium. I'm happy to share an access code so you can get Perception Premium long-term and try it out. Reach out via DM and I'll get it to you!

Regarding "Customisable video export camera arrangement" - what do you mean by this? This sounds a bit similar to a feature we have planned where all camera angles can be exported in a single video (in perhaps a grid layout) but would be great to clarify!

Thanks so much again for your feedback! 🙌

Hey @Deftly - firstly thank you so much for this feedback! It's incredibly helpful and will help me and the team to prioritise some of the upcoming features. It's really appreciated!

Thank you for mentioning the price, am I right in saying that's in AUD? In GBP it's £59.99 - we're actively trying to balance on the line of representing the value of Perception & covering costs, whilst also representing great value for money to drivers. We're continuing to tweak this to get the balance right - for context our aim was for the lifetime purchase to be the equivalent of supporting Perception for 3 years. Happy to hear your thoughts on where this should sit!

Great to hear you were able to use your NAS on Mac - I need to get one soon and try it out! We're looking to add NAS support in one of the upcoming versions in the new year.

We're also looking to deliver some of those other features in the new year, including:

- Better scrubbing / play-on behaviour - it feels clunky right now, a slight side-effect of how we have to take all of the video files, play them in sequence, and work out where the overall video playback 'time' sits within the individual video files to make the playback seamless. We think we've got a better approach for this now (as the underlying code is very close to what I originally wrote in January!), so we'll make this nicer soon!
- Event cropping - I've been wanting to work on this for months and we've had designs prepared - happy to share a sneak preview in DMs if you'd like to give feedback! The feature is on hold until the scrubbing behaviour is improved as the crop function will need the scrubber to work better than it does now.
- Calendar view - I was speaking with our designer about this the other week! We're looking to add a calendar view and a map view to provide some different ways of finding your events.
- One click export - we have an export function, available as part of Perception Premium. I'm happy to share an access code so you can get Perception Premium long-term and try it out. Reach out via DM and I'll get it to you!

Regarding "Customisable video export camera arrangement" - what do you mean by this? This sounds a bit similar to a feature we have planned where all camera angles can be exported in a single video (in perhaps a grid layout) but would be great to clarify!

Thanks so much again for your feedback! 🙌
Happy to help you however I can - will move to DMs🙂

Reactions: rb98
As a fellow indie dev (kinda) I just wanted to say the app looks great! Looking forward to testing it out as the experience browsing the raw folder structure leaves a lot to be desired.

FWIW I’ve got a Synology NAS which I sync to using TeslaUSB and I’m able to access the videos fine on my iPhone using this method to access the NAS (which I had previously added in Files).

Reactions: rb98
As a fellow indie dev (kinda) I just wanted to say the app looks great! Looking forward to testing it out as the experience browsing the raw folder structure leaves a lot to be desired.

FWIW I’ve got a Synology NAS which I sync to using TeslaUSB and I’m able to access the videos fine on my iPhone using this method to access the NAS (which I had previously added in Files).
This is great to hear, thanks @Rickyjj! Really looking forward to hearing any feedback you have, especially using Perception with NAS too 👀

I don't know how to DM you (maybe because I just created an account for this thread) - what's the best way for me to share feedback about behaviour when using NAS? I can also send a screen recording if helpful so you can see the behaviour.