Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Installed Update v2023.26.1—Camera View On TESLA App Is A HUGE Disappointment!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, just installed update v2023.26.1 and checked out Camera View On TESLA App.
REPORT: It sucks!

The feature update graphic seems to imply that we TESLA owners will finally have that cool—if not passé—feature that just about every Chevy and FORD crossover has where multiple camera angles are stitched together to provide a continuous 360-degree “bird’s eye view” in order to see all views around the vehicle from a particular camera viewing mode. But—NO, TESLA still can’t deliver on this simple and now antiquated bloody feature!

Despite what the feature update graphic seems to imply, in fact this is a new feature in the TESLA mobile app where the front, rear, and both side view camera angles are stacked—not stitched—adjacent within the Live View feature of the Security & Drivers setting of the TESLA mobile app. TOTALLY disappointed, and I DO NOT know why we TESLA owners STILL do not have this 360-degree camera feature we’ve all been asking for and patiently waiting for all this time.

Attachments

• IMG_3905.png
    IMG_3905.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_3906.png
    IMG_3906.png
    577.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Love
Reactions: beachmiles
It’s impossible to give a 360 Birds Eye camera view with the current camera placement so I don’t know how you even came to expect that.
I’m unconvinced that it’s impossible with two forward-facing cameras, two front fender flare cameras, two B-pillar cameras, and a rear-facing camera.

Are you suggesting that two additional rear fender flare cameras are needed in order to complete the circle? Please explain.

No, you need a front bumper camera to complete a 360 view useful for parking.
That’s a fair point, but I don’t personally care if a front bumper camera is missing. Moreover, that absence of a front bumper camera doesn’t make a 360-degree bird’s eye view impossible, but perhaps not so useful, specifically for parking.

I like the ability to have a single 360-degree camera view on-screen in order to watch my surroundings. For example, while on the freeway in high-speed traffic or even parked, it would be a great way to keep an eye on your surroundings.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
That’s a fair point, but I don’t personally care if a front bumper camera is missing. Moreover, that absence of a front bumper camera doesn’t make a 360-degree bird’s eye view impossible, but perhaps not so useful, specifically for parking.

I like the ability to have a single 360-degree camera view on-screen in order to watch my surroundings. For example, while on the freeway in high-speed traffic or even parked, it would be a great way to keep an eye on your surroundings.
Teslas cameras all point outward for the most part. 360 view requires cameras that point more downward. Of all the current cameras, only the backup camera would be useful for a 360 view system.

360 view is used for parking to see how close curbs and objects are. Most cars with 360 view is disabled when above a certain speed.

What you want doesn’t make any sense. It’s useless to use 360 view to monitor surroundings at freeway speeds because it only shows like 2-3 feet around your vehicle. You see much more and father away by just using your eyes out the window and mirrors. You shouldn’t be concerned about hitting curbs and bumping into other cars at freeway speeds. By the time an object shows up on the screen in 360 view at freeway speeds you would have already hit it.

I had also hoped but it was obvious we weren’t getting a Birds Eye view from the graphic. It said multi cam - not Birds Eye and it’s on the mobile app, not the car where it’s needed. Multi cam is like any security cam view: boxes of video feeds.

Also to be clear I don’t think it’s a technical reason we don’t have it. I think it’s exclusively a licensing issue. Maybe with the NACS licensing it’ll allow for cross licensing and we will get it.

Reactions: DrChaos and moa999
I had also hoped but it was obvious we weren’t getting a Birds Eye view from the graphic. It said multi cam - not Birds Eye and it’s on the mobile app, not the car where it’s needed. Multi cam is like any security cam view: boxes of video feeds.

Also to be clear I don’t think it’s a technical reason we don’t have it. I think it’s exclusively a licensing issue. Maybe with the NACS licensing it’ll allow for cross licensing and we will get it.
Thank you for weighing in, but your explanation makes no sense to me. Are you suggesting that FORD (or some other legacy auto-maker) has a patent on the very idea of stitching together multiple live camera feeds from around the vehicle? You can’t patent something like that! Hollywood uses many camera techniques to film scenes and sequences, and none of those techniques are patented. How could something like this be patented?

Thank you for weighing in, but your explanation makes no sense to me. Are you suggesting that FORD (or some other legacy auto-maker) has a patent on the very idea of stitching together multiple live camera feeds from around the vehicle? You can’t patent something like that! Hollywood uses many camera techniques to film scenes and sequences, and none of those techniques are patented. How could something like this be patented?
This. Every automaker (except Tesla) has a 360 cam at this point.

On vehicles with 360 view, do they have FSD? Think the Tesla cameras first purpose is FSD and the latest update is their way of giving us a pseudo 360 by repurposing the FSD cameras. The other manuf don’t have FSD and their cameras are only dedicated to 360 and can do it natively.
My understanding

I'n not suggesting. It's been documented in this very forum a few times. Nissan or some major vendor (Bosch?) I believe owns the patent of a 360 Birds Eye view in a vehicle ( I don't have the details), and most of the auto mfgs license it.

I'm just providing a potential thing here, but "you can't patent something like that" is very wrong. You can definitely patent many version of that. Patent is not about some Hollywood idea, it's about a method, process and math to do it. So there can be multiple/different patents from different companies for the same thing because they do it different ways (if possible).

I'n not suggesting. It's been documented in this very forum a few times. Nissan or some major vendor (Bosch?) I believe owns the patent of a 360 Birds Eye view in a vehicle ( I don't have the details), and most of the auto mfgs license it.

I'm just providing a potential thing here, but "you can't patent something like that" is very wrong. You can definitely patent many version of that. Patent is not about some Hollywood idea, it's about a method, process and math to do it. So there can be multiple/different patents from different companies for the same thing because they do it different ways (if possible).
Of course! And I’m not suggesting that TESLA should copy Nissan’s (or whichever company’s) code to perform a stitching of real-time video feeds. I’m suggesting that TESLA needs to write their own code to perform this same end function. No patent can prohibit a company from developing its own version of the same function. Just like a lighted visor. You can’t patent a lighted visor, such that you could prohibit other companies from developing their own lighted visors. However, you can patent your own technology that accomplishes this, and other companies are free to develop their own designs that accomplish the same feature.

I’m just saying that this feature is weak sauce when we’ve all been long awaiting 360-degree bird’s eye view.
We already received the vector based 360-degere view that Elon said they would provide. (They never said that there was going to be a camera image based 360-degree view.)

So if you are waiting for that it will likely be a very long time.

If you find yourself driving Below 6 MPH the Ford 360 might be great on the freeway….. On my Tesla I find the camera icon to show both sides and rear more than adequate at speed.

Reactions: APotatoGod
On vehicles with 360 view, do they have FSD?
Yes, depending a bit on how you define FSD. If FSD is everything that has been DELIVERED and WORKING today and NOT BETA, then there are cars that meet your criteria. My Model 3 with FSD (NOT beta) does only one thing that my Ioniq5 doesn’t: remote summon, and yes, I’ve used that occasionally. But the Ioniq5 with its bird’s eye view and Hyundai ADAS package does everything else. Everything else. Worse, for Tesla owners on software after mine but with FSD actually have diminished features without working AutoPark, Dumb Summon, or Smart Summon at all. In those instances, my Ioniq5 far exceeds the Tesla.

If you’re defining FSD to include existing beta and future dreams, then wake me when they’re delivered and out of beta.

• Funny
Reactions: Sandor and E90alex

Yes, depending a bit on how you define FSD. If FSD is everything that has been DELIVERED and WORKING today and NOT BETA, then there are cars that meet your criteria. My Model 3 with FSD (NOT beta) does only one thing that my Ioniq5 doesn’t: remote summon, and yes, I’ve used that occasionally. But the Ioniq5 with its bird’s eye view and Hyundai ADAS package does everything else. Everything else. Worse, for Tesla owners on software after mine but with FSD actually have diminished features without working AutoPark, Dumb Summon, or Smart Summon at all. In those instances, my Ioniq5 far exceeds the Tesla.

If you’re defining FSD to include existing beta and future dreams, then wake me when they’re delivered and out of beta.
And how well does the camera work beyond 3 mph which is what he wants on the freeway?