Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Loss of Front and Rear Camera Views -- Any Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Update: Problem fixed. See Post #3, below.

*****​

This is a mysterious new issue (for me). Help appreciated from those with similar experiences.

Monday (4/10/23): drove to local grocery store*. Everything working (afaik). Parked. Opened/closed trunk. Shopped. Opened/closed trunk. Backed out of parking space (no problem) and exited shopping area--everything still working. But on the way home I suddenly noticed that the rear camera view (I keep it in the center map display) was 'white.' Then I started noticing other stuff. Here are the symptoms I've see so far:
  • Rear camera view displayed in center display is now white.
  • The steering indicator lines still appear when in reverse (just hard to see against white background).
  • In the self-parking view the front and rear camera views are now all black. Again, two steering lines do appear when in reverse.
  • Loss of graphic display objects in driver's display. The little Model X avatar is still there, but there are no other vehicles, lane-lines, or other objects displayed.
  • Loss of cruise control function (warning appears at bottom of driver's display when I try to engage it).
  • Loss of self-steering function. (warning appears).
  • Loss of dashcam functions.
What still works:
  • The car. (I can still drive it.)
  • The side cameras, I believe.
I have tried the usual solutions:
  • Various levels of rebooting the car (e.g., two-fingered, four-fingered).
  • Noticed that there is no reboot button on the Service screen (as some Internet sources claim. Maybe changed with firmware updates?) (Instead, there is a Power Off button on the Safety screen.) I have not tried a full factory reboot. I have not tried disconnecting the 12v battery.
  • Opening and closing the trunk.
  • Turning the rear camera display (in the central screen) off and on repeatedly.
  • Disconnecting all USB devices.
  • Putting car into reverse multiple times (a suggestion from the Internet, before I realized that the front camera was affected, also).
Of course I already scheduled service. However it is a week out (for Mobile Tech and longer if I then have to take it to a SC).

Photos of symptoms:

'White Screen'
'Black Screen'
Loss of Dashcam

Autosteer warning message
Cruise Control message

Car:
- 2021 Model X LR+ 5-seater ("Legacy" version)
- No collisions or other damage
- Low mileage
- Located near Sacramento, CA USA (so relatively mild climate)
- Received firmware update 2022.45.15 (FSD Beta v.11.3.6) Sunday (4/9/23)

At first I suspected a mechanical problem (disconnected cable) with the rear camera. Could still be the issue. However, I also wonder about software, possibly related to recent (FSD Beta) update. (If so, disappointing. I thought all the recent bug-fix updates were meant to catch and prevent this. Should be happening to Tesla employees, not me. Ha.) But why wait a day for symptoms to appear? My money is still on mechanical issue. We'll see.
_____
* Not a grocery-related issue as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Updates:
  • Have tried the various soft reboot techniques. No luck.
    • Normal power off. (In Tesla Model X 2015-21 Owner's Manual.)
    • Touchscreen Restart (using 2 steering wheel scroll buttons). (In Tesla Model X 2015-21 Owner's Manual.)
    • Power Cycling (using Power Off button on Safety screen for 2 minutes).(In Tesla Model X 2015-21 Owner's Manual.)
    • "Full Soft Reboot" (using 4 buttons on steering wheel--may not be a real thing). (From the Internet.)
  • Have not tried a hard reboot. (I'll leave that to the Mobile Tech to try, or not, on Monday, 4/17/23.)
  • Using Service Mode, I did re-install the last firmware update on 4/11/23 (originally downloaded and installed 4/9/23). Unfortunately, no change.
  • Latest from Tesla: Upon advice of the over-the-air Diagnostic Team, the Mobile Tech is going to replace the rear camera and see how that does. Interesting. If that doesn't work I must take the car in to a SC for service.

Problem Solved: Mobile Tech replaced the rear camera. Problem apprently corrected.

I was pleasantly surprised.
  1. Tech arrived early (so I didn't have to wait around from between Noon up to 5 pm).
  2. Contrary to my suspicions the front camera was not involved.
  3. Work was speedy--only about 15 minutes.'
  4. Best of all, no trip to the Service Center was necessary (and work was covered under warranty).
  5. The Tech said that they have seen problems with (some of) the Model X (and others?) rear cameras.
Apparently Tesla uses an Over-the-Air Diagnostic Team. In performing research they had already determined from prior information sent by the car during normal driving to Tesla that there were likely problems with the rear camera. (So the camera was giving indications of emminent failure; I just didn't know.) Based on the Team's recommendations, the Mobile Tech was supplied with a new camera. Easy replacement.

Assuming this permanently solves the problem, I am pleased.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: maytaurustiger