Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't skip Superchargers on long trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is defined mostly by my kids' behavior. Going to Florida from the Indy supercharger, we skipped London, KY; Chattanooga, TN; Macon, GA. This is because we stopped for longer meals at Lexington, KY; Knoxville, TN; and Atlanta, GA. Now, another reason we pick those to skip is that Chattanooga is at the airport with nothing but a small snack bar upstairs that isn't open past business hours, and Macon's is right next to the Greyhound bus stop in an area that appears to be pretty sketchy outside of the hours of 8 am to 5 pm (although there's a *really* great diner a couple of blocks away for brunch on a Sunday!)

Ultimately, it all depends on what you're shooting for. If you're a "pee-and-go" type person who eats on the way, then you're probably right. If you have 4 kids like I do, and you aren't going to let them pig out in the car for meals, then another option is likely better.

Reactions: David99
I agree with the OP's assertion that, as a general rule-of-thumb, you should plan to hit every Supercharger (of course there are exceptions). It's often faster, makes contingency planning easier, you discover things you didn't know about, and breaking up a drive is better for your health (mental and physical).

We just returned from a trip from Seattle WA to Twin Falls Idaho - we were there a couple of days and saw a few attractions in the area. The Twin Falls Supercharger is my new favorite! Lots of restaurants and shopping very close by, hotels within easy walking distance (not that you really need that with Superchargers, but it does make it easy to fill most of the way when you arrive, then top off to 100% the next morning before a long adventure), and a nice visitor center with bathrooms right there. But best of all, the gorge - the Snake River makes a lovely deep canyon right there, and there's a walking path along the rim. Idaho lets you base jump off the Hwy 93 bridge, and people come from all around the world to do it, so you can watch them while you charge. Very cool!

We also enjoyed the Elevation 486 restaurant about a mile away - great view of the gorge. Shoshone Falls about 5 miles away is a very scenic park. The Minidoka Internment camp (used in WWII for Japanese Americans) is about 20 miles away and pretty sobering. Craters of the Moon and Castle Rocks National Monument are further (and perhaps more for specialty interests), but both easily doable round-trip on a single charge.

I have been unable to add the new photos into the OP. If a mod sees this, please just cut/paste this into the OP. Thanks!

The discussion about what is better comes up a lot here. On road trips, is it faster to charge more and skip a Supercharger, or stop at each Supercharger and just charge as much as you need?

The simple answer is: It's almost always faster overall to use every Supercharger than trying to skip where you can. Sounds counter intuitive because adding more stops slows you down. Yes it does and going off the freeway to a Supercharger and back adds extra driving time. But since we are talking about an EV, charging the necessary energy for a given distance does not change. One way or another you need to charge that amount of energy to make your trip.

The tricky and unique part about Superchargers is that their charging speed depends a lot on how full the battery is. An empty battery can be charged very fast, an almost full battery can only be charged at a slower rate. That's just the nature of how batteries work these days. The difference can become quite significant. When you try to skip a Supercharger and plan for a longer leg to make it to the next one, you have to charge your battery to a higher level. This means your average charge rate is slower. In other words, to charge from zero miles 250 miles in one session takes much longer than charging twice from zero miles to 125 miles. You can read more about that here. This example assumes the Superchargers are about 100 miles apart of each other on your route. That's roughly the case at this time when doing cross country road trips.

To show this a little better in an example I made up a route in EVTripplanner.com.

trip01.JPG

We start somewhere in Los Angeles and go passed Denver. On the route you see three white Superchargers that we are skipping: Las Vegas, Richfield and Grand Junction. On the lower left side you can see total drive time, total charge time and total time for the trip. Now let's add the Richfield Supercharger and see what happens.

trip2.JPG

The total drive time got a little longer because it takes time to get to the extra Supercharger. But the total charge time went down by a lot. So we added a few minutes driving, but we save more charging. Now let's add the Grand Junction Supercharger.

trip3.JPG

Again, the drive time got a little longer. We added 7 minutes to get off the freeway and back on. But we also saved 20 minutes on charging time. Adding these two Supercharger stops shortened the trip by 26 minutes! But now let's look at the Las Vegas Supercharger. That one is only 46 miles after Primm where we are stopping and charging already. What happens when the distance between Superchargers is less than 50 miles?

trip4.JPG

The gain in charge time is eaten up by the added drive time. Overall it added 1 minute. Let's say it's a wash. We can stop there and charge or we can skip it, it makes no difference in terms of time.

Looking at a typical road trip example, it shows that skipping Superchargers is most likely not going to get you to your destination faster. It will actually slow you down. When distances between Superchargers are very small, then it makes little difference one way or another.

OK what about weather? How does that play in. If you have bad weather, rain, snow or strong head winds, basically things that require more energy, the favor goes even more towards stopping at each Supercharger because you are trying to add more energy into the battery charging it near 100% where the charge rate becomes slower and slower.

So much for the bare numbers and optimizing your trip for speed. Reality often looks different. There is nothing wrong taking a longer break while eating for example. Then you would of course charge longer and might have plenty of energy to skip a Supercharger. You might have kids in your car that are sleeping. Each time you stop they wake up! Definitely charge longer and drive longer! :)

I agree with the OP's assertion that, as a general rule-of-thumb, you should plan to hit every Supercharger.

Unfortunately, people's limited experience drives them to false positives. Reality is that it is too infrequent a situation for the assertion to be anything close to a rule of thumb. There are VERY few, if any real world road trips where the fastest total time is to stop at every supercharger.

If you really want a rule of thumb, the answer is that you'll be able to find some minimum typical distance between chargers where you usually save time by skipping (my guess is its somewhere around 45-50 miles). Don't take my word for it, put some routes into EV trip planner. For instance, while it was hand-waved away as a wash, the above LA-Wyoming example is in fact slower when you add the Vegas charger--So even the example to prove the initial assertion shows exactly the opposite. Change the origin of that example to San Diego, for instance, and its even more of a negative to charge at Vegas.

How about [probably] the most traveled Tesla long route in the country (between the bay area and socal)? Buttonwillow and Tejon are ~40 miles apart and total trip time benefits by skipping one. Check Truckee/Reno. Tooele/SLC. Gilroy/Mountain View. Not to mention all the chargers in high density areas (LA, Chicago, the Northeast)

Tesla owners would be wise to ignore the premise of the subject and instead understand what variables affect total trip time and how to manage those variables. Obviously it makes complete sense to skip as many superchargers as you can on the first leg, but more importantly it makes complete sense to skip any chargers mid-route (or at the end of a route) that are close enough to actually increases trip time.

What about really warm days (100F)? I charged at the Folsom SC today and from the time I walked from my car to a bench area so I could eat my lunch took maybe 8-10 minutes. I checked the app to see what the status was on charge and it showed 2hrs to finish my default 90%. At the time it was charging at ~300V 80A. I walked to an area where I could see the car and the stalls were empty next to me so I assume I should be getting full charge rate. My remaining miles at the time was ~35.

This concerned me enough that I walked back to my car and I decided to call Tesla while I watched the status of the charge. I wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with that particular stall. While I was on hold for the next available person, it finally ramps up and I hang up. So it took approximately 15-18 minutes before it finally ramped up the charge. My best guess is it spent most of that time cooling the battery before ramping up the charge due to it being warm.

In scenarios like this, I would think it's better to skip a SC (miles permitting).

I have had the experience of Model S telling me i have enough charge to make it to the next SC. And then after 20 miles it tells me to turn around and go back to the SC I just left for more charging. Not reliable. You have to provide some adult supervision.

The trip planner still leaves a bit to be desired with respect to "you're good to go" vs "turn back". For better or worse, I've found that it's easier to manually select whatever supercharger I want to go to next, then I'll often 'remove all charging stops' if I know it may try to inefficiently route me to an interim charger.

It still comes down to cognizant management of reserve miles.

I have had the experience of Model S telling me i have enough charge to make it to the next SC. And then after 20 miles it tells me to turn around and go back to the SC I just left for more charging. Not reliable. You have to provide some adult supervision.
this is when critical thinking skills have to be employed, the trip planner can be wonky at times, sometimes you just need to shut it down or ignore it because it will offer some very poor routing choices. I usually prepare for my road trips before embarking, knowing where when and how long each charge will be.

Yup, the key is riding the bottom of the pack as much as possible.

Yes, this will ensure charging at a high power. Which is not entirely in accordance with the advice of the original post.

Without knowledge of waiting time and available power at each SC and without taking into account the exact distances between each SC, the strategy for minimizing charging time is thus:
1) Start out with a SoC as high as possible.
2) While on the initial charge, skip a supercharger when it is possible to safely reach one further towards the goal.
3) From then on charge at each SC, but only up to a SoC that allows you to safely reach the next supercharger.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I have had the experience of Model S telling me i have enough charge to make it to the next SC. And then after 20 miles it tells me to turn around and go back to the SC I just left for more charging.

Is Tesla Motors aware of this limitation in their software?

I guess we will see more instances of "vehicle-inflicted road-rage", I am unsure how I would react to this. :)

As for the software, maybe your car has gained self-awareness, and just realized that when that one particular SC was plugged in, it felt like nothing else...

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677

And for @bxr140 and @lklundin ,

That is the function called “Beta Trip Planner”, which is a huge steaming pile of crap, which I highly recommend turning off. And yes, Tesla has been told about it and admits that it sucks, but it’s not the new shiny thing, so it’s not important enough for them to bother fixing it.

Here’s how to turn it off:

Go to Controls -> Apps -> Navigation

There is a checkbox there for the Beta Trip Planner.

Unfortunately, people's limited experience drives them to false positives. Reality is that it is too infrequent a situation for the assertion to be anything close to a rule of thumb. There are VERY few, if any real world road trips where the fastest total time is to stop at every supercharger.
Is this just the "Bay Area" rose colored glasses, where they have so many Superchargers so close that you can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting at least a couple? Most of the "real world" routes around the middle of the country have the Superchargers spaced so far apart that it's just not possible to skip ANY of them. Here is the most common real world route around me: Interstate 84 from Salt Lake City all the way to Portland Oregon. It has 6 Superchargers along the way, and you pretty much can't skip any.

What about really warm days (100F)? I charged at the Folsom SC today and from the time I walked from my car to a bench area so I could eat my lunch took maybe 8-10 minutes. I checked the app to see what the status was on charge and it showed 2hrs to finish my default 90%. At the time it was charging at ~300V 80A. I walked to an area where I could see the car and the stalls were empty next to me so I assume I should be getting full charge rate. My remaining miles at the time was ~35.

I have been commuting between LA and Las Vegas and Phoenix a bit and had temperatures way above 100 F. Blasting the AC, going fast and Supercharging on the way. I never experienced a dramatic slowdown in charge speed. I don't think what you experienced was a slowdown due to temperature, but due to pairing of Superchargers. Two stalls share one charger and charge power. If another car is on a shared stall, you will get a lower charge rate. As the other car fills up and naturally the charge rate is reduced, the other car will get more power.

I think @Rocky_H has it. You'll get different answers depending on how far apart the superchargers are, and if you're used to thinking of superchargers as 50 miles apart, a statement not to skip them sounds idiotic, while if you're used to thinking of them as 150 miles apart, a statement to skip them sounds equally idiotic.

All of my long trips so far have been on I-95 south of New Jersey. For most of that route, it's impossible to skip a charger without charging far into the taper, or driving slowly, or both.

On the other hand, looking at the map for Los Angeles to Las Vegas, you pretty clearly want to skip a couple of those unless your bladder is really small. It's not just a California thing either. Chicago, New Jersey, and the New York City area stand out as other places where there are plenty of skippable chargers.

I have been commuting between LA and Las Vegas and Phoenix a bit and had temperatures way above 100 F. Blasting the AC, going fast and Supercharging on the way. I never experienced a dramatic slowdown in charge speed. I don't think what you experienced was a slowdown due to temperature, but due to pairing of Superchargers. Two stalls share one charger and charge power. If another car is on a shared stall, you will get a lower charge rate. As the other car fills up and naturally the charge rate is reduced, the other car will get more power.
If you read my original post, I stated that there were no cars next to me so I am aware of the reduced charging when sharing a paired stall. Granted this is the first time I've SC'ed while it's been hot as I've only had my car since November. Again at no time were there any cars parked next to me when I began charging. In fact a car was just leaving as I pulled in.

If you read my original post, I stated that there were no cars next to me so I am aware of the reduced charging when sharing a paired stall. Granted this is the first time I've SC'ed while it's been hot as I've only had my car since November. Again at no time were there any cars parked next to me when I began charging. In fact a car was just leaving as I pulled in.

Many of the SC's I have used do not have the paired slots side by side.

And many of them are paired next to each other. There are only 4 slots in the Folsom SC. Unless you have proof that they aren't paired 1-2, 3-4, I was parked in stall 2 while the other car was in 4. And I wasn't about to be an ass and test the theory by interrupting the person's charge.
No need to get agitated, you were paired. They go 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B.

folsom.jpg

(courtesy: Folsom Supercharger)