Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prep for SuperCharging at non-supercharger trips breakers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Specifically to those who use the EV charging stations, and even more specifically those with Tesla's--

During our recent visits with ChargePoint, it has come to our attention that the breaker has been tripped each time anyone preps their battery for supercharging, as the chargers are not set up for supercharging speeds.

Please be sure not to prep your vehicle for supercharging when using our chargers, as our chargers do not have the capacity to charge that quickly, and it will trip the breaker each time you finish charging, putting it out of service to charge until it's reset.

We greatly appreciate your help and patience with the charging stations."

The above emailing was sent out to everyone in my apartment building. Two questions:

1. Is it even possible to prep a vehicle for supercharging at a non-supercharger? I thought it only conditioned the battery when you enter a supercharger in the navigation. Is there a way to manually prep for supercharging?

2. Is there any legitimacy to the statement that preparing for supercharging at a non-supercharger would trip a breaker? I don't see how preconditioning a battery would affect how much juice it tries to draw. For extra confusion, they stated it happens after it finishes charging.

I wanted to get some feedback from the community before I call B.S. and explain to the association that ChargePoint probably needs to fix their equipment and it has nothing to do with Tesla owners conditioning batteries for supercharging.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
"Specifically to those who use the EV charging stations, and even more specifically those with Tesla's--

During our recent visits with ChargePoint, it has come to our attention that the breaker has been tripped each time anyone preps their battery for supercharging, as the chargers are not set up for supercharging speeds.

Please be sure not to prep your vehicle for supercharging when using our chargers, as our chargers do not have the capacity to charge that quickly, and it will trip the breaker each time you finish charging, putting it out of service to charge until it's reset.

We greatly appreciate your help and patience with the charging stations."

The above emailing was sent out to everyone in my apartment building. Two questions:

1. Is it even possible to prep a vehicle for supercharging at a non-supercharger? I thought it only conditioned the battery when you enter a supercharger in the navigation. Is there a way to manually prep for supercharging?

2. Is there any legitimacy to the statement that preparing for supercharging at a non-supercharger would trip a breaker? I don't see how preconditioning a battery would affect how much juice it tries to draw. For extra confusion, they stated it happens after it finishes charging.

I wanted to get some feedback from the community before I call B.S. and explain to the association that ChargePoint probably needs to fix their equipment and it has nothing to do with Tesla owners conditioning batteries for supercharging.

Protocol compliant chargers and cars would talk together so it's not possible to trip the breakers.

A breaker is tripped means there's a break down in the protocol.

For example, when a Hyundai/Kia first access at a Supercharger, it kept asking 800V and tripped the Supercharger breaker. The Supercharger said dude, I can only supply 400V so stop forcing me to get you 800V.

After a few weeks Hyundai/Kia uploaded the new firmware to correct that issue.

If a Chargepoint is set at 80A on a 30A circuit, my 2017 Tesla Model X would communicate with Chargepoint and ask for 72A which is below the 80A configuration from the Chargepoint. That would trip the 30A breaker. I then have to manually override the Amperes down to 24A in order to avoid tripping the breaker.

Someone was giving bogus blames on prepping and supercharging.

The electrician needs to reconfigure the Chargepoint to a lower and correct Ampere. Once the configuration is done, it would communicate to my car that it's not 80A. It's 24A, and my car would comply.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3 and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
If a Chargepoint is set at 80A on a 30A circuit, my 2017 Tesla Model X would communicate with Chargepoint and ask for 72A which is below the 80A configuration from the Chargepoint. That would trip the 30A breaker. I then have to manually override the Amperes down to 24A in order to avoid tripping the breaker.
Minor clarification, the X doesn't ask for 72A (implying a communication message), the onboard charger just pulls up to that much current.

When Supercharging the X does send the current request to the cabinet and it provides up to that amount.

For example, when a Hyundai/Kia first access at a Supercharger, it kept asking 800V and tripped the Supercharger breaker. The Supercharger said dude, I can only supply 400V so stop forcing me to get you 800V.
That is strange, I wouldn't expect the Supercharger to engage the outputs if there was a voltage request mismatch.

Upvote 0
It's completely bogus. For starters, there no way to "prep" for Supercharging except to set navigation to a Supercharger and start driving. So no car just sitting at an EVSE is going to be doing it.

What you can do is precondition the car, but that only runs the HVAC to make the interior comfortable. As stated above, nothing you do will make the car draw more than the EVSE says it's allowed to draw, and it certainly won't be more than it draws during the normal charging process.

I don't know what their problem is, but it isn't what they say it is. Anyway, since you can't even do what they're telling you not to do, you can feel free to ignore it.

Upvote 0
Here's the feedback. You can feel free to call B.S. on them as soon as possible. They definitely have something configured wrong. If it were set up correctly, Let's say it is on a 40A circuit with a 40A breaker, the charging station is SUPPOSED TO be configured so that it only announces available current of 32A maximum. Then it doesn't matter what any car does. The cars will see 32A is all that's available and won't ever try to pull more than that, and it will never trip the breaker.

What they probably have is something like this example: It may be on a 40A circuit with a 40A breaker, but the equipment is the wrong type or configured wrong so that it is announcing to cars that it can supply 48A. The cars see it and say "Sure, give me 48A!" (doesn't matter the reason. The prepping for Supercharging is just a red herring.) and that trips the breaker because it's overdrawing the circuit.

Upvote 0
Another possibility is that they may have put more than one charging station on one circuit. Imagine two charging stations each trying to supply 32A at the same time while sharing a 40A breaker. The claims in the letter are nonsense.

It’s possible that someone may have plugged in to charge in your building, set navigation to a local supercharger, and unplugged to drive to the supercharger, at which point the breaker tripped. Alternatively, someone may have been preconditioning the cabin when the breaker tripped. If either of those things happened, then someone at ChargePoint may have confused coincidence with causality and assumed that preconditioning caused the fault (even though it’s obvious to us that is not the cause of any fault). ChargePoint have either an equipment fault, a wiring fault, or a misconfiguration.

OP, what voltage does your car report while charging at home?

Upvote 0