Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017 not able to supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 2017 with free unlimited supercharging SC05. The car cannot be charged using a supercharger.

SYMPTOMS
  1. Plug in (supercharger) charger into the car
  2. Solid white light in the car charging port
    1. This means to plug out
  3. Plug out charger from car
  4. Immediately plug back in
  5. Solid white light again
  6. Plug out charger
  7. Plug back all the way in but with a little more strenght
  8. Solid blue light
    1. Not sure what this means, but it is not charging (blinking blue light)
  9. Inside the car it shows "Ready to charge" but I don't think there is another button for me to click to "start" charging
  10. Basically alternating with those 2 scenarios
    1. If I plug the charger hard all the way in, it shows solid blue light
    2. If I plug the charger "normally," it shows solid white light
TIMELINE
  1. A month ago I had a warning indicator to change the low voltage battery
  2. Used the car for 2-3 weeks with the warning (was able to supercharge without any issues during this time).
  3. First time the car was unable to supercharge happened around this time
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
    2. Moved to another slot in the same parking lot, it worked!
      1. So I assumed there is an issue with that specific charger
      2. But another tesla came and charged perfectly like nothing is wrong
  4. A week~ later, I was unable to supercharge again
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
    2. Again, moved to another slot in the same parking lot, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't
    3. Completely moved to another parking lot, it worked
  5. Another week~ later, I was unable to supercharge again
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
    2. Again, moved to another slot in the same parking lot, it didn't work at all
    3. Completely moved to another parking lot, it didn't work at all
  6. Called tesla through the app and changed the low voltage battery
  7. The same day the battery was changed, went to charge the car
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
  8. Today, 2 weeks have passed since the battery was changed, it stopped charging again.
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
    4. Tried 3 different parking lots, several different charging slots, NOTHING
    5. Only charging at home works right now.
Can anyone help me?

Probably bad high voltage contactor in the High Voltage Junction Box, fairly common issue.

They said it works on home charger, #5 last paragraph. That's what leads me to believe probkem is in HVJB.
But immediately after, another car came and charged no problem. Can this issue be related to a specific car? If that isn't the case, shouldn't the other cars have issue chargin as well?

But immediately after, another car came and charged no problem. Can this issue be related to a specific car? If that isn't the case, shouldn't the other cars have issue chargin as well?
Sorry I wasn't clear, the problem is with the High Voltage Junction Box in YOUR CAR. This component works with the onboard charger to direct incoming power directly to the battery in the case of a supercharger or through the onboard charger for AC input.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sorry I wasn't clear, the problem is with the High Voltage Junction Box in YOUR CAR. This component works with the onboard charger to direct incoming power directly to the battery in the case of a supercharger or through the onboard charger for AC input.
I see, thank you for the clarification!! How can I confirm this is indeed the issue? I don't want to take it to tesla because they charge absurdly a lot for even just diagnostics..

Do you think not fixing the low voltage battery quicker affected to this problem?

Is this something that can be fixed easily by myself? Something as simple as unplugging and replacing it? Or it needs to be done professionally?

Nothing to do with 12v battery.

Im not sure where the HVJB is in this year car but it's not an easy fix and involves getting into the HV connections. It wont take Tesla long to determine the problem but it's not going to be a cheap fix.

Edit: 2017 S has the junction box inside the Gen. 3 onboard charger. Tesla replaces the whole charger to fix, usually around $2500.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Model S 2017 with free unlimited supercharging SC05. The car cannot be charged using a supercharger.

SYMPTOMS
  1. Plug in (supercharger) charger into the car
  2. Solid white light in the car charging port
    1. This means to plug out
  3. Plug out charger from car
  4. Immediately plug back in
  5. Solid white light again
  6. Plug out charger
  7. Plug back all the way in but with a little more strenght
  8. Solid blue light
    1. Not sure what this means, but it is not charging (blinking blue light)
  9. Inside the car it shows "Ready to charge" but I don't think there is another button for me to click to "start" charging
  10. Basically alternating with those 2 scenarios
    1. If I plug the charger hard all the way in, it shows solid blue light
    2. If I plug the charger "normally," it shows solid white light
TIMELINE
  1. A month ago I had a warning indicator to change the low voltage battery
  2. Used the car for 2-3 weeks with the warning (was able to supercharge without any issues during this time).
  3. First time the car was unable to supercharge happened around this time
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
      1. So I assumed there is an issue with that specific charger
      2. But another tesla came and charged perfectly like nothing is wrong
  4. A week~ later, I was unable to supercharge again
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
    2. Again, moved to another slot in the same parking lot, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't
    3. Completely moved to another parking lot, it worked
  5. Another week~ later, I was unable to supercharge again
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
  6. Called tesla through the app and changed the low voltage battery
  7. The same day the battery was changed, went to charge the car
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
  8. Today, 2 weeks have passed since the battery was changed, it stopped charging again.
    1. SYMPTOMS happened
    4. Tried 3 different parking lots, several different charging slots, NOTHING
    5. Only charging at home works right now.
Can anyone help me?
Only two suggestions:
  1. Clean all connector pins and sockets with contact cleaner
  2. Have you looked in the service menu to note any service alerts?
Whereabouts are you based?

Nothing to do with 12v battery.

Im not sure where the HVJB is in this year car but it's not an easy fix and involves getting into the HV connections. It wont take Tesla long to determine the problem but it's not going to be a cheap fix.

Edit: 2017 S has the junction box inside the Gen. 3 onboard charger. Tesla replaces the whole charger to fix, usually around $2500.
Thank you for the information. I will try to see if a local repair shop can do it for cheaper.. I looked up the part (High voltage junction box) on ebay and it's only ~$300 so maybe it'll be cheaper to take it and see if they can fix it

Thank you for the information. I will try to see if a local repair shop can do it for cheaper.. I looked up the part (High voltage junction box) on ebay and it's only ~$300 so maybe it'll be cheaper to take it and see if they can fix it
I would advise against doing this unless you have a firm diagnosis and have an exact part number. I'm just a guy on the internet making an educated guess based off my 9 year model S ownership. Take it to Tesla, have them diagnose, then decide if you can get it fixed cheaper elsewhere.