Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model s charging only 7kw with 3 phase 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

So few days ago I plugged my gen 1 UMC on my 2017 Mode S 75, and it stopped working. Also blew the fuse of our house. The charger gave the 3 flashing red lights, which according the manual means bad relay or contactor. It was however still capable of charging with schuko, but not with the 5 pin adapter.

I bought a new 16A 11kw charger. Now when connected, the charger says 16A 10.3kw, but the car charges 7kw with 3 phase 16A.

I went to a public charger, and with 24A it gets 11kw, but with 16A only 7kw.

Is this a sign of faulty on board charger?

So to get the situation clear, your UMC (with the changeable pigtails for 1PH or 3PH) has blown the fuse and that new nonTesla 11kW connector has not? And on public connection your car allows 11kW power?
If so, then the UMC you have has internal failure. If the 1PH connection does not trigger the fuse then leave it so. Do you know that your car has only one onboard charger and it’s allowing 11kW as max? Dual charger car’s can have 2x that amount.
And have you noticed that if there is cold weather outside the car will use that shore power to heat up the battery to allow higher load. Does the nonTesla connector gives you higher amount if you have pre-heated the car? Secondly, if the household main wall box is limited to 16A then you will nearly get the max out of it for you charging. If it’s dedicated line solely for charging then test with heated battery.

p.s. Your car has onboard charger as all the manufacturers deliver cars WITH them. That connector you are describing is not a charger.

Hi,

So few days ago I plugged my gen 1 UMC on my 2017 Mode S 75, and it stopped working. Also blew the fuse of our house. The charger gave the 3 flashing red lights, which according the manual means bad relay or contactor. It was however still capable of charging with schuko, but not with the 5 pin adapter.

I bought a new 16A 11kw charger. Now when connected, the charger says 16A 10.3kw, but the car charges 7kw with 3 phase 16A.

I went to a public charger, and with 24A it gets 11kw, but with 16A only 7kw.

Is this a sign of faulty on board charger?

It is a faulty onboard charger. One phase is out. I had the same in my 2016 MX. Luckily I had just bought the car so the dealer paid for the repair, but the bill was over 2000€ ...

One option is simply to ignore the fault,.New MS/MX only comes with 11kW charger anyway, you still get the same rate if you can pull 24A. But for 16A fuses 7kW is the max.

If so, then the UMC you have has internal failure. If the 1PH connection does not trigger the fuse then leave it so. Do you know that your car has only one onboard charger and it’s allowing 11kW as max? Dual charger car’s can have 2x that amount.

2017 car doesn't have the old single or dual charger setup, it's a single charger that takes 24A max. 24A*230V*3 should be 16560W, but OP says he only gets 11kW when charging at 24A.. So its 24A*230V*2 = 11040W. So it is one phase down on the onboard charger.

It is a faulty onboard charger. One phase is out. I had the same in my 2016 MX. Luckily I had just bought the car so the dealer paid for the repair, but the bill was over 2000€ ...

One option is simply to ignore the fault,.New MS/MX only comes with 11kW charger anyway, you still get the same rate if you can pull 24A. But for 16A fuses 7kW is the max.
That's what I was afraid of.

I think I'll just leave it be. There seems to be a bunch of used on-board chargers from older models on sale on some sites, costing somewhere around 350d. Don't know how much the work would cost, though. And don't know if they even fit my model.