Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 Midrange RWD Charging 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a 2018 Model 3 Midrange RWD. It's 4 yrs 8 months old. I always charged my car only at home. Since last week, charging starts at 32A but after sometime it drops to 16A. I don't understand why. Im not seeing any alerts.
Screenshot_20230820-160340~2.png
Screenshot_20230820-155416~2.png

I went into the car to check the screen and charging time went to 24+ hours and then reduced again to 7 hours slowly. I'm thinking to take car to supercharger and see how it charges so that I may know if it's car problem or my charger problem. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

This is typical when one of the onboard chargers is defective. Supercharging bypasses those chargers so you should see no problems there and might give you a false sense of security that nothing is wrong with your car. Contact service via the app and I think that they should be able to pull logs off the car to diagnose the issue.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is typical when one of the onboard chargers is defective. Supercharging bypasses those chargers so you should see no problems there and might give you a false sense of security that nothing is wrong with your car. Contact service via the app and I think that they should be able to pull logs off the car to diagnose the issue.
Thank you for the reply. I will contact Tesla. What if I ignore this issue for a month? Other than charging slowly, does it cause any other issue?

I'd double check to see if there's any point in the charging link (outlet, mobile connector, car's charge port) that is getting warm. That can cause some problems with obtaining the full 32 amps.

As far as "ignoring the issue", you could probably go that route but I'd still drop a note to service and ask them what they think. You're out of the warranty period; I believe that the Power Conversion System (PCS: chargers) is part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty and not the 8yr / 100,000 mile battery warranty.

edit: Verify that Supercharging is normal.

One of the two 16 amp modules in your PCS (power conversion system) is failing. A somewhat common issue in cars of that vintage.

Doesn’t affect supercharging.

Not harmful to ignore or keep charging in the interim (though if the second module dies you won’t be able to charge at all).

One of the two 16 amp modules in your PCS (power conversion system) is failing. A somewhat common issue in cars of that vintage.
Hey! Don't say that! I've got a 2018 LR RWD which is probably a few months older than the OP's.

Hmmm... come to think of it, I can't remember the last time that I've L2 charged my car. I could have a PCS problem and not even know it....

Hi all, I have a 2018 Model 3 Midrange RWD. It's 4 yrs 8 months old. I always charged my car only at home. Since last week, charging starts at 32A but after sometime it drops to 16A. I don't understand why. Im not seeing any alerts.

I went into the car to check the screen and charging time went to 24+ hours and then reduced again to 7 hours slowly. I'm thinking to take car to supercharger and see how it charges so that I may know if it's car problem or my charger problem. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10142980-9999.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148850-9999.pdf

Note there are two TSBs as above related to the PCS failing. You are probably out of warranty, but if your car falls within the production range those TSBs cover, doesn't hurt to try to a claim under TSB.

Last edited: