Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Tesla Model S charges at home not at super charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my tesla model S will charge with no issue on my home 220 outlet. it will not on the other hand charge at the tesla charging station., I noticed a handful of time prior it would fault then it would work. That happened on 2 occasions a week or so prior as i do not supercharge often. Now it does not work at all at the super charging stations. Tesla wants to put in a new charger for 3g the car has less than 55,000 miles on it. I think it has to be something else going on, IE a fuse or.... I have done the resets and that but nothing has changed.

Tesla wants to put in a new charger for 3g
Charger? Not sure what you are saying here.

In theory your problem could be related to the elimination of 3G by the cellular carriers. But that occurred back in 2022:

All major US cellular networks shut down legacy 3G support in 2022. AT&T shut down its 3G GSM network in late February, T-Mobile began shutting down part of its network at the end of March, and Verizon officially sunset its legacy network on December 31.

I think you need to get a better answer from Tesla.

Just re-read this, did you mean they want put in a new DC charger for $3,000?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have seen where the fuse can be the issue as well. I assume the only way to find that out is to dismantle it and see? do you all happen to know What causes it to be able to sow charge and not do the supercharging?
The AC/DC charger in the car is used when AC is the power source as it needs to be converted to DC. When power is supplied via DC I think a different DC/DC charger is used. (?)

Upvote 0
Appreciate the help. is there something I should specifically type in EBAY to assure I find the correct replacement one. I see so many and many cross years of production.
best to look what u have under back seat but u can also use epc catalog
also look under charging screen n see if u have 48a or 72a charger, thats about it
n best to do the swap in a timely manner in case ebay unit is doa n u have to return it

Upvote 0