Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Teslas with charging ports on right hand side using a tesla supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a Model S owner and came to use the Tesla Supercharger at Uxbridge UK. This is a supercharger destination where non-Teslas can charge. No problem with that. There were 2 Mercedes EVs who were charging. They have their charging port on the right hand side. So they had parked the vehicle and used the cable from the right side charging side instead of the left. That effectively means you have disabled that bay for charging. So 2 Mercedes using 4 bays in s very busy charging station. I don't particularly blame the Mercedes drivers but surely Tesla must say use the right charging station allocated to that bay. Mercedes and other EVs with a charging port will on the right hand side need to get a extension cable if they wish to use a Tesla charger. Visuals attached:

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3739.jpeg
    IMG_3739.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: IanMcL
They are largely forced to do that for back in stalls.

The best they can do is, looking out from the stalls:
1) If the left stall has a space next to it, park there. They couldn't because there's a wall.
2) Park next to other "right" cars, especially filling gaps between them. That can help keep wasted spots to 1.
3) Consistently try to park from the left end.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Almost all new Tesla stalls in the last 4-5 years have the pedestal in the rear, not on the side. It eliminates the issue, but there are still quite a few old stalls. Here in California, I'd estimate that 80% of the stalls have the pedestal in the rear (i..e 20% are old installations). The 98-stall Harris Ranch is one example (v3 stalls). The new v4 stalls also have about 3-foot longer cables.

Attachments

• 20231020_125721.jpg
    20231020_125721.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Cosmacelf